Start by marking “The Case Against The Case for Christ” as Want to Read:
The Case Against The Case for Christ

The Case Against The Case for Christ

Leading New Testament scholar Robert M. Price has taken umbrage at the cavalier manner in which Rev. Lee Strobel has misrepresented the field of Bible scholarship in his book The Case for Christ. Price exposes and refutes Strobel's arguments chapter-by-chapter. In doing so he has occasion to wipe out the entire field of Christian apologetics as summarized by Strobel. This ...more
Published February 15th 2010 by American Atheist Press (first published February 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Against The Case for Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Against The Case for Christ

Start your review of The Case Against The Case for Christ
Denise
Lee Strobel is a decent story teller. I have yet to decide wether he's a professional liar or extremely poor critical thinker. In either case, I'm glad that Mr. Price has taken The Case for Christ to task. Not likely to sway the ardent crowd, however, this book is a good companion for skeptics with well meaning friends and family who feel compelled to gift Strobel.
Rusty
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay – Religoquest 2016 continues - and this book is obviously meant as a point-for-point rebuttal to The Case for Christ (TCFC) that I reviewed the other day (my review? It was a shit book). I can tell you right this second, all that crap that frustrated me about that one clearly frustrated Dr Robert Price as well.

It really almost needs to be read as a companion to TCFC and not something to be read after, because without having one book open right along with the other it’s easy to get lost.

I
Edwin Herbert
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Long have Christians touted Strobel's book, "The Case for Christ", as though it's the unassailable proof of Christ's divinity. In his usual humorous way, Price dismantles Strobel's fallacious arguments one at a time. Brief and to the point, this is a must-read for skeptics and believers alike who want to see both sides of the argument. Like watching a grandmaster of chess destroy a puffed-up novice who thinks he's a master. Very satisfying.
Jc
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A nice point-by-point refutation of born-againer nonsense, focusing on the writing of Lee Strobel. My boy Bob continues to add well-written works to his scholarly discussion of the origins of christianity as well as the philosophical, historical, and literary holes in the "logic" of American conservative christian "thought."
Tim
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book should be packaged and read in tandem with Strobel's book. A great read.
Josh
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has been over six years since I read The Case for Christ for the first time after having been challenged by a believer to read it. Upon first read, it was obvious why believers found it convincing, although it is very easy to see how it is problematic to someone with only a small amount of critical thinking training.

What this book made clear is that to those who are almost completely unacquainted with Biblical scholarship, Reverand Strobel's book may be compelling because they won't know eno
Steve
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ because I have read another book by him and couldn't bear to read another one. I find his "journalistic" style extremely irritating. So I am not in a place to determine whether Richard Price in his The Case Against THE CASE FOR CHRIST treats Strobel's book fairly. I have heard all the Christian apologetic arguments that Price critiques and they all sound accurately presented - so, along with the citations Price gives from Strobel's book which are ...more
Nikkidove
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm an atheist in a Bible study group, as strange as that is (I assure you I'm still firm an atheist). And a lady in the group suggested I read Lee Strobel's Case for Christ The Case for Christ so of course I went and read the rebuttal first. Now I will admit that aside from reading the Bible once or twice I have really analyzed it (about the only downside to living in a secular home was NOT owning a a Bible, ok it was kind of a plus, just don't tell Dawkins), so I was a little out of my depth u ...more
John Lindemuth
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
In my reading of this book I couldn't help but feel that it was a sarcastic review of Dr. Price's own journey of enlightenment. At times it seemed an excellent and scholarly review of biblical errancy and at times it seems rather mean spirited toward those who choose a different viewpoint. As I much prefer the scholarly view of context, facts and the application of research to ascertain truth and I would have preferred a more academic approach as opposed to the sometimes divergent sarcasm or del ...more
Scot Parker
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-nonfiction
This book is an incredibly thorough debunking of Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ, which really doesn't need much debunking beyond some modest critical thinking skills. However, if you want to delve oh so deeply into church history, doctrine, theology, and numerous other subjects and obtain a graduate-level education in exactly why Strobel is an academically dishonest charlatan, this is your book.
Samuel Ayemi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
A lot of inconsistency in his book also... Mainly based on his stand or point of interpreting Lee. Lee's book is an outstanding work. Claiming Lee is just trying to solicit opinions he want to promote is very uncalled for. Shrouded belief.
Phil Calderone
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning
Robert M. Price's "The Case Against The Case for Christ" (Lee Strobel's popular book) is both a critique of Strobel's book and its specific arguments. On the overall book Price points out the major methodological flaw, being a collection of interviews with Christian apologists rather than a diverse set of scholars on various subjects from the historicity to the divinity of Jesus. Price knows who many of these scholars are, meaning they are not inaccessible.

He cites them, others similar and his o
Killer of Dreams
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Dio Mavroyannis
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
I read this book right after reading the case for christ. I found the experience quite disappointing. On the positive side it seems like Price is very quite knowledgeable when it comes to the bible, he gives plenty of references.

On the other hand, there is almost no discussion of what approach he is following. There is very little talk of a structure, it just seems like he takes whatever standard would help make his case at any given time. I actually get the impression that if you follow his cri
Vegantrav
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Robert Price's book is a very pointed, polemical critique of Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ. Price does not pull any punches, and he is often rather harsh, deriding fundamentalist apologists and their arguments. His style will likely be somewhat off-putting to many readers. However, the force of his arguments remains: he shows Strobel's book to be filled with hackneyed arguments, special pleading, shallow analysis, biased arguments, and non sequiturs.
Peter
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
makes strobel look like an idiot
Sebastian P
The Case Against the Case For Christ is informative in many respects, but the polemical tone is a bit too much at times. I could never hand this to a Christian and expect them to reflect on the arguments therein. They would shut down under the deluge of quips. I know that Price is directing his witticisms at the apologists themselves for what he sees as dishonesty, but I'm not sure a Christian would see that. Having said that, if you're looking for information rebutting standard apologetic lines ...more
Jonathan Bechtel
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, I’m biased, but I think Price did a great just here exposing the flaws in Strobels book. Price doesn’t say that thing book takes down the truth of Christianity, only that it shows apologists and their rhetoric don’t help it in any way. It’s all special pleading and after the fact rationalization. Highly recommended!
Gary
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The antidote to 'The Case for Christ'.
Actually, Price is easier on Strobel than it could be. 'The Case for Christ' is so bad, this book could easily be 10 times as long without tearing apart all of Strobel's mistakes, lies and propaganda.
Highly recommended.
Daniel Maxwell
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The author goes into amazing detail of how the Church fathers hoodwinked the illiterate ignorant poor into believing a mythology. The book left me stunned. Well written and highly recommended.
Wayne's
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A clear and concise debunking of an apologists wreck of a book. great stuff delivered in typical Price style. Wonderful!!!
William Greentree
Return to Form

A well written, well thought out, logically consistent and amply supported book akin in its thoroughness to his earlier works.
Luke Vidler
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Price really just uses the framework of Strobel's book to throw together his deep understanding of the topic. The tone is sardonic sure but its also laugh out loud funny in places and Price has a gift for storytelling and teaching. After a while you realise how deep and thorough Price understands the topic and why he would resent the Shortcuts and sloppiness of the Strobel's 'case closed' style conclusions. Its unfortunate that Christianity is so bound by and based on deception that books like t ...more
Nathan
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The bible is many things to many people. But something that is prevalent among most people who claim to "believe in the bible" is the notion of its infallibility. People believe it is "the word of God" (even many who don't think it is translated correctly or who provide their own "divinely inspired" translations)and therefore deserving of special consideration. This usually results in an uncritical acceptance of everything the book claims and many things that its adherents claim as divine truth. ...more
Suleiman
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Straightforward simple argument against a book that was already easy to judge. This book just stated the obvious.
David Chadwick
Jan 29, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Case for Christ
  • If It Bleeds
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • Giving the Devil His Due: Reflections of a Scientific Humanist
  • Der Herr der Ringe. Anhänge und Register
  • Always a Love Song
  • Agency (The Peripheral #2)
  • Rodham
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • Seven Lies About Catholic History: Infamous Myths about the Church's Past and How to Answer Them
  • A Manual for Creating Atheists
  • Malice (Detective Kaga, #1)
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Goodbye to Shy: 85 Shybusters That Work!
  • The Autopilot Garden: A Guide to Hands-off Gardening
  • The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader: Becoming the Person Others Will Want to Follow
Robert McNair Price is an American theologian and writer. He teaches philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary, is professor of biblical criticism at the Center for Inquiry Institute, and the author of a number of books on theology and the historicity of Jesus, asserting the Christ myth theory.

A former Baptist minister, he was the editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism

News & Interviews

“it appears that inherited (I should say stale) evangelical apologetics has almost completely displaced any serious attempt to seek the most likely meaning of gospel texts in their own right, in their ancient contexts.” 1 likes
“His true intention becomes clear by the choice of people he interviewed: every one of them a conservative apologist!” 0 likes