Start by marking “Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)” as Want to Read:
Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)

Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,389 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
Half a decade after the Dominion War and more than a year after the rise and fall of Praetor Shinzon, the galaxy's greatest scourge returns to wreak havoc upon the Federation -- and this time its goal is nothing less than total annihilation.

Elsewhere, deep in the Gamma Quadrant, an ancient mystery is solved. One of Earth's first generation of starships, lost for centurie
Published September 30th 2008

The Destiny of the Federation begins here!

This is the first novel in a “Star Trek” book trilogy named “Destiny”

The Federation has suffered more casualties from hostile action in the past five weeks than in all the previous wars of its history combined.

The Romulan War. The Cardassian War. The Dominion War. Even the Battle of Wolf 359.
None of those bloody conflicts of the Federation against opposite powers, combined, produced so many loses of lives as in the very first stage of
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best star trek book out there to finally find out how the borg came to be
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Goodreads allowed me to give a 4-1/2 star rating. This book was almost perfect. I could not put it down and only had a few small complaints that would keep me from giving it a 5 star rating.

After reading a few of his books, I would say that Mack is one of the best Star Trek writers. He gives his stories a very human element and manages to make large casts very exciting. (I usually prefer smaller casts allowing you to focus on a few characters.)

In this book, he has an extremely large cast.
Mar 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold-back-to-hpb
"So, uh, we got this joined Trill who's a bit bungled up in the brain, ya know what I'm saying?"

"Like a bit on the neurotic side?"

"Exactly. The the funny things is, she's a counselor. On a space station."

"On a space station?"

"Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'. What um I s'posed tu do with a neurotic counselor?"

::fingers snap::

"I got it! Make her a ship's captain. Make her totally unrecognizable. Problem solved. Bada-bing bada-boom."

"Ya think?"

"I ain't payin' ya to think. I'm payin' ya to wri
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different sort of space opera...but a good one. Can't wait to see where the story goes from here!
Stephen Osborne
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long, long time since I've read a Star Trek book, so I thought I'd just jump in and pick a spot to begin again. And it seems I chose well. The first book of the trilogy is well written and exciting, full of "character" moments as well as action. There are A LOT of characters, though. 631. I counted them. Luckily, Mack gives you tiny updates just in case you haven't read EVERY Star Trek book, or have forgotten key moments in the TV shows. And Ezri Dax has my favorite line, when told b ...more
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I’ve been waiting for this day for years: finally embarking on the journey into the great unknown (for me) of Star Trek post-A Time To... fiction, really starting with the Destiny Trilogy.
This is a solid opener to the trilogy, and I’m not exactly sure what the overarching story will be, but I’m enjoying the journey so far!
Drew Widney
Love the premise of the final showdown between the federation and the Borg. But the author just has way too many perspectives. There are way too many ships with their unique situations and each ship have large crews and it just becomes a jumbled mess. Committing to finishing the trilogy but damn, not some of Trek's best literature.
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ST novel fans; Mack fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
David Mack continues to show his strength as a ST author – fast paced adventures, good characterizations, well described space battles. The only complaint I would have in this first book of the Star Trek Destiny trilogy is that there’re too many dramatis personae – we’re following the crews of four starships, Enterprise, Titan, Aventine and Columbia. While Mack ably distinguishes most of his people, he still can’t develop them enough to make you care overmuch about them. Often he’s saved by the ...more
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in a trilogy of novels set in the post "Nemesis" "Trek" universe, "Destiny: Gods of Night" is one of the more entertaining and page-turning "Trek" novels I've read in a while. Credit a lot of that to author David Mack who in the course of the novel juggles at least four separate plot threads over several different eras of "Trek" history. If you've been wondering why the last Enterprise novel was advertised as part of the previous books in the series leading up to this, you'll find out ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
It's relentless, warp speed plotting -- aside from the Riker/Troi prengancy issue, there isn't a lot of room for character development...and I find the Columbia crew to be rather cliched much of the time, especially the typically hard-nosed MACOs. But all that aside, this is EPIC plotting on a grand scale...and considering the juggling of characters, planets, and battles that occurs in this novel, you have to give David Mack credit for keeping all the balls in the air, and never once letting one ...more
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while to fit all the strings together but towards the end of the book everything turned out to be connected and I am really excited to read what's happening the the next 2 books.
Hint: Don't read/finish the book if you don't have the next one right at hand because it's a mayor cliffhanger.
Crystal Bensley
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying the beginning of this trilogy- I like comparing the scenes of Titan and Enterprise and the Columbia storyline. Interested in where this goes.
Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack "Destiny" is set more than a year after the events of ST: Nemesis. It builds upon the TNG-relaunch novels, the Titan-series and various other familiar characters - but don't worry, Destiny is quite a good point to get back into Trek without prior knowledge of the mentioned book-series.Given the split nature of the book that's jumping from one stage to the other, I'm going to follow those jumps in my review.
The Federation is at war with
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I had mixed feelings delving into yet another Star Trek novel about the Borg. It seems like this has pretty much been the sole focus of the post-Nemesis litverse aside from the Titan novels, and I've been feeling ready for something new. The high rating of this novel gave me hope that this would at least be a story worth reading. It was not only that, but much, much more.
The Borg are invading the Federation (again) and the U.S.S. Enterprise is at the front lines (again). Somehow, they are sendin
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luke Sims-Jenkins
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
As I write this review I'm over half way through season 5 of DS9 and close to the start of VOY season 4 in my big rewatch. Those two shows I haven't seen since they came out on VHS way back, so yeah there are snippets I remember and a lot I don't. I've read a couple of novels set after Nemesis (TNG books) so what I'm trying to say is I pretty much jumped into this novel blind.

David Mack not only made this easy for me to jump into , filling me in on things and sorta catching me up, but tells an e
C.T. Phipps
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I've just picked up the Star Trek: Destiny series after putting it off for some time. I've been spoiled to a number of facts regarding the book series and how it ends, which ironically kept me from reading it. I'm a big fan of the Borg and always felt they deserved better than to become stock villains de-fanged by repeated losses. An epic trilogy about the Federation having a full all-out war with them was something I was leery about. There was no way the Borg could be portrayed fairly without ...more
Tanya Turner
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
Review for the whole 'Destiny' trilogy.

I read a lot of Star Trek books and tend to rate them internally, so 5* for what I think is a good Trek novel, doesn’t mean it is necessarily a good novel for anyone who isn't a fan. These three books are 1* Trek novels for a reason entirely related to the story, not the quality of the writing. I like Trek when it deals with a whole range of alien cultures, and does not put humankind at the centre of the universe. These novels are absolutely guilty of putti
Matthias Noch
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der Auftakt für eine Trilogie, die im Jahre 2381 spielt und die drei Raumschiffe Enterprise, Titan und Aventine mit ihren Capitänen Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker und Ezri Dax vor dem Hintergrund des wieder aufgeflammten Krieges gegen die Borg auf eine ebenso gefährliche wie komplexe Reise durch Raum und Zeit schickt.

Hardcore Star Trek Fans werden ihren Spaß haben, Neulinge werden zwar all die Anspielungen und Verknüpfungen zu anderen Büchern und Filmen zwar ahnen, aber oft nicht ohne Recherche
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dustin by: Garrett Bridges
So, wowsers. Lots of fan service in this book. This is the first book I've read of the Post-Nemesis books that deals with what happened after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Enterprise went off the air. A great many characters and races mentioned in other episodes are used. I finally know the history behind the art of my May 2007 Star Trek Ships of the Line calendar with the Columbia NX-02 crashed on a desert planet.

Some elements of the story, especially towards the end were a t
Thomas Brailey
It's been a while since I read a ST book, and I really feel like this book assumed I was current on all the books. Luckily, I could easily check the various wikis to figure out what was going on, but that was mildly annoying. Also, the book jumped around a bit in the beginning and I didn't really feel like I understood what was going on until about 70 pages in. Once we got over that hurdle, I found it to be enjoyable (technobabble is always fun) and am looking forward to more.
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great trilogy, even if it is AU since it mentions Archer's Enterprise.
Preston Pendergraft
A good book, but the first of a trilogy. Sets up a lot, really enjoyed it.
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be the best post-television Star Trek series yet.
Joshua Thompson
Easy read of a good but not great book. First part of a trilogy so there's more to come, and I hope it gets better.
Blade 68
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Generally I prefer Star Trek novels that focus on one ship and one crew, but the story kept me intrigued enough to want to continue reading the other books in the trilogy.
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent story

I loved the story, Especially Telling The stops of multiple crews, well done. - - - - - -- -
No need to review such an extensively reviewed book. I am just going to reiterate a fairly known Vulcan's comment when he once tasted Tenesee whiskey beans: "Surprisingly good!"
Major Hayes died in Enterprise Season 3 2 10 Nov 28, 2014 06:21PM
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac
More about David Mack...

Star Trek: Destiny (3 books)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
“Maybe a captain more obsessed with strict protocol and formality would have been stalwart in hiding his feelings, but Riker didn’t subscribe to such emotionally stunted ideals of manhood.” 1 likes