Start by marking “Biblia de Jerusalem” as Want to Read:
Biblia de Jerusalem

Biblia de Jerusalem

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
This new edition of the Jerusalem Bible condenses the result of the last one hundred years of research and is closer to the original texts while providing a more pleasant reading style. Large print.
Hardcover, Large Print Latin American Edition, 1854 pages
Published May 10th 2003 by American Bible Society (first published January 1st 1966)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read the entire Bible for 2 courses I took in college--Old Testament studies and New Testament studies. Having taken both Biblical Greek and Hebrew, I feel that this translation is one of the most accurate that exists, along with the Knox Bible.
Miriam
Jul 19, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The first truly modern Bible for Catholics."

Translators include... J.R.R. Tolkien? What?

Well, I know what translation of the Bible I'm reading next!
Benjamin
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description given by Goodreads gives the context. Given that it is a Roman Catholic translation, it betrays that in a number of ways. For one example, there is the influence of the Vulgate, particularly in theological terminology. In the sacrificial sections, where most people would expect to see "burnt offering" (even the New American Bible, which is sort of the Roman Catholic equivalent of the RSV, uses "burnt offering") the JB uses "holocaust," which comes from Greek through Latin. There ...more
carl
(For my overall thoughts read my comments on the NIV bible.)

Be sure to get the original, not the more recently made printings, especially the 'New Jerusalem' bible. Primarily because I have found this particular translation to be fluid in its prose, graceful in its poetry, and as comprehensive as can be had in a one volume translation of the entire christian scriptures.

If I could have one bible translation, this would be it.
Bryn Hammond
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a scholarly bible, this is my go-to translation. I find the notes trustworthy -- informational, neutral, not commentary on the content; and the translation reads well (famous for Tolkien's input: only one book I'm afraid, Jonah. Still, his employment displays their commitment to style). I'm happy to work with this and the King James.
Forest
Apr 17, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, the best English translation of the Bible.
Erik Graff
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
This, the scholarly version of The Jerusalem Bible, the one with all the side- and footnotes, is the first translation of the bible I read from cover to cover. I did this while enrolled in Chaplain Dennis Haas' two-semester sequence on the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures at Grinnell College. Later, in the nineties, while at the Institute of Pastoral Studies at Loyola University Chicago, I purchased The New Jerusalem Bible, giving my older version away.

My method of studying the Judeo-Christian ca
César Enrique Prous San Martín
La colección de escritos más sublimes y extraordinarios que haya conocido la humanidad

el mejor libro de la historia.
lee la Palabra para ser sabio, créela para ser salvo, practícala para ser Santo
Susan Keraus
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read this, when working with children, at Youth Club. Easy to understand text & a great "read it through'" Bible. It does have additional books not included in my other Bibles - interesting!

jimstoic
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ultimate-reality
This was the second Bible I read from cover to cover. (The first was the RSV.) It's a lively but not overly colloquial translation. Having the verse numbers in the margin makes it much easier to read.
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Tanach: The Torah, Prophets, Writings -- The Twenty-Four Books of the Bible, Newly Translated and Annotated (The ArtScroll Series)
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text
  • Orthodox Psychotherapy
  • The Divine Heart of God the Father
  • The Triads (Classics of Western Spirituality Series)
  • Lumen Fidei: The Light of Faith
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • Pope Francis: Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio: His Life in His Own Words
  • Jewish Antiquities
  • Jesus the Jew: A Historian's Reading of the Gospels
  • The Gospel Of Luke (New Daily Study Bible)
  • The Divine Milieu
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
“Yo me suscitaré un sacerdote fiel, que obre según mi corazón y mis deseos, le edificaré una casa permanente y caminará siempre en presencia de mi ungido.” 1 likes
“Tomó Abigail a toda prisa doscientos panes y dos odres de vino, cinco carneros ya preparados, cinco arrobas de trigo tostado, cien racimos de uvas pasas y doscientos panes de higos secos. Cargó” 1 likes