Start by marking “A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking” as Want to Read:
A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  534 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In A Designer's Eye For Scrapbooking, Ali shares her design secrets on how to create attractive, charming and well-balanced pages that tell a story and reflect your unique personality. This inspirational guide to scrapbook page design will teach you how to preserve your memories in a meaningful way.
Published February 1st 2004 by PriMedia, Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

Aimeslee
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-paper-arts
From the standpoint of a non-graphics-artist artist, I consider this book the bible of graphic design in 2 dimensional paper arts, particularly scrapbooking. Contrary to what some may think, one needs a fairly well-ingrained sense of the graphics art senses of proportion, balance and color in order to design and create a scrapbook page that pleases the eye. Ali manages to teach these with a simple and basic set of rules, all well-illustrated and easy to follow. And if you are someone who already ...more
Kym
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scrapbooking
I love Ali Edwards' style, and just looking at her pages is a great inspiration. What I love about her style is that it is timeless and her own. I feel like I could look at this book again in five years and still find something fresh. The fact that she focuses on the story, the pictures and the layout and not the product really makes it easy to transfer what she does to my own style, in scrapbooking, art journaling and journaling...even though this book focuses on scrapbooking.
Brandie
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves scrapbooking!
Ali Edwards does it again - she provides inspiration and fun in her book, A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking.
She shows the reader eye-catching and fun ways to celebrate being a life artist. I found myself having to put it down and go back to it SO many times, because I would get sudden bursts of inspiration...
Lady Dixie
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edwards, own, scrapbooking
Ali Edwards shows you how to achieve balanced looking scrapbook pages with her fresh, modern approach. What I love best about her style is her claim that the most important thing to document is your everyday life -- and that it's wonderful to use your own handwriting, fuzzy pictures, and stuff you collect during a normal day or week.
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scrapbook enthusiasts
Ali's approach to using patterned paper (she did write a sequel on just that topic) while still maintaining a clean layout is just amazing. Love her use of square punches. It made me bring all my punches out and contemplate their use in a more linear approach. I turn to this book over and over again for ideas.
Phoebe
May 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
In the end, this book read more like a catalogue of the author' work. I enjoyed the design, but didn't feel I learned very much.
Amy Lyn
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Decent ideas, but not everyone's life fits in a little box like this.
Becky Christensen
Jun 06, 2009 marked it as to-read
This book has great ideas for Scrapbooking but I have found it much easier to create my Memory Books or Story ScrapBooks Digitally with HeritageMakers - at www.yourstorybooksonline.com Absolutely no cutting gluing pasting and big scrap books sitting on shelves- but rather beautiful hardcover library quality books. And it costs less too - at an average of $20.00 per scrap book page plus all those containers to hold all those supplies! Izzsh! I have access to over 40,000 templates and embellishmen ...more
Pamela
Dec 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
This book was published in 2004 and is beginning to show its age - especially in the style of layouts. Ali's style has changed quite a bit since then. It is still a good resource, though, for the information presented there. I like how she talks about communicating her vision in her scrapbooks. I love her idea of foundations and filling the compartments of your page with photos and embellishments. It makes good design understandable and very doable. I can't wait for her new book. It is on my Chr ...more
Mistress of Romance Kim  Brown
Ali has a way of explaining why design works and how to make it work when you get stuck. We learn several core design principles that we can look to over and over again that will look different each time we use them.
Lain
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Ali Edwards is, in my opinion, the undisputed queen of clean design and compelling pages. To see how she breaks down the creative process, step by step, is such a gift. This book has everything in one package -- great design, great writing, great photography.
Enjoli
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love Ali Edwards. The most inspirational person in the world, she really makes it a good point to get your creative juices flowing by being yourself and going with the flow. She is truly a muse for all those who play with paper and photos.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2008 added it
A great read for the intermediate to advanced creative scrapbooker. Ali uses a good mix of older photographs (1970's) with newer digital photographs. Her focus on design principles will take you to the next level in creating heirloom keepsakes
Holly
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scrapbooking
Great book. Another one of my favorite idea books I go to for inspiration.
Dana
Mar 28, 2008 added it
when I first realized Ali E, was a phenomenal scrapbooker
Jeri
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ali is such an inspiration! I especially like the concept of getting the story behind the picture down in writing and the linear feel of her designs.
Kristen
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
one of my all time favorite scrapbooking books!
Robbin
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cleared out some scrapbooking and photography books but Ali's book is a keeper
Cynthia Friese-hassanein
Her approach rocks!!!
Donna
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Ali Edwards'style!
Tiffany
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
Ali Edwards is my scrapbooking mentor above all others! She is an artist and an inspiration!
Danielle
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
changed the way I create!
Linda Joplin
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love Ali Edwards!
Kimberly Calderon
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
I refer to this book when I'm stuck with some photos and don't feel inspired to scrap them... it always unsticks me!
Kate
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Love this - it is a constant reference. I need to buy her second and third (when it comes out).
Becks Fagg
Mar 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay - pretty to look at... and love the author's style
Jessica
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love everything Ali writes, and this book was no exception. she's a designer and I'm attracted to her clean style. this is a great book for scrapbooking.
Sandy
Jul 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: scrapping friends
This is a great book with lots of design ideas for using patterned paper in your layouts.
Lea
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
This is the book that I turn to for ideas to start a layout. Ali gives good, clear advice and makes pages that both novices and experts can enjoy.
Nancy
  • Creative Sketches for Scrapbooking
  • The Organized and Inspired Scrapbooker
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • Scrapbook Page Maps: Sketches For Creative Layouts
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99