Start by marking “You” as Want to Read:
You

You

Set against the semi-urban backdrop of the River Liffey in 1980, this novel about a 10-year-old girl who lives with her separated mother and two brothers unfolds through the narrator's observations and interactions, and her naive interpretations of adult conversations and behaviour.
Published May 19th 2011 by New Island Press (first published April 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You

Start your review of You
Emma Flanagan
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: irish-lit-read
You is the debut novel by Nuala Ní Chonchúir (sometimes published as Nuala O’Conor outside Ireland). She rose to major prominence last year with her highly praised second novel The Closet of Savage Memories. However I’d never heard of You till I read a review last year by a friend last year. It immediately went on my TBR and I was determined to read it this year.

The child narrator is a notoriously hard voice to get right. That adage of film and TV about never working with children should really
Margo
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Really good, quick read.

I wasn't expecting much from this one. I read it on kindle, and would never have chosen this book only that it was a GRI quarterly read.

Told from the perspective of a 10 year old girl, it is unusual in that the narrative is given from the second person POV. It is sad and funny. Reading it, I was reminded of how helpless children are in a world that is controlled by adults.
Serf
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
A really sad tale of a split families struggle with everyday life. Told through the eyes of a ten year old, it introduces a group of likeable characters living in Dublin. As the mother struggles to be both a single mom and juggle numerous questionable relationships, the daughter is left to deal with her two brothers.
An enjoyable enough read, I just didn't like the story being told in the second person. One other thing that bugged me throughout was that the 'baby' never had an actual name. A smal
Mary Lou
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: irish
A story of a troubled family in Dublin in the 1980s, narrated by the 10 year old daughter, entirely in the second person.

The thing that struck me most about this cleverly written feisty little girl was how she becomes almost forgotten by her mother who is immersed in her own terrible difficulties, and when she steps in to take on the mother’s role this effect is multiplied. Intuitively written,and very moving indeed
John Kenny
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
At first glance the prospect of reading a novel written entirely in the second person and mostly in the present tense might prove daunting to many, but it is a testament to Nuala Ní Chonchúir’s skill as a writer that the story fairly clips along.

Told from the point of view of a ten year old girl growing up in 1980s Dublin, the use of the second person device pulls the reader into her world, where ‘you’ experience everything she does as she does, with an immediacy that is striking.

And this world
Ethel Rohan
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nuala Ní Chonchúir’s debut novel, You, is set in 1980 Dublin against the charged backdrop of the River Liffey. The novel tells the turbulent story of a ten-year-old girl and her broken family. Narrated through the child’s point of view and told in the second person, this novel uses plain prose, vivid detail, fresh images, and the delightful Dublin vernacular. You is a compelling story that brings to life complex characters and delivers hard-hitting truths.

At the novel’s opening, the narrator’s s
Kimbofo
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nuala Ní Chonchúir's debut novel, You, was published in 2010. I knew absolutely nothing about it, but bought it on a whim and read it over the Christmas break.

It turned out to be a lovely, heartfelt and completely engrossing story about a 10-year-old Irish girl grappling with issues out of her control: the loss of her best friend Gwen, who moves to Wales; the impending birth of a new half-sibling to her father's second wife; and a new man in her mother's life.

I read it after I compiled my favour
Celeste
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
As mediocre as you'd expect from the synopsis. More mediocre than you might expect from an acclaimed poet and short story writer. Much like "Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin, it's just a new version of the same old story. ("Brooklyn" being country girl emigrates to big city, this one being poor child with unstable single mother tries to keep the family together and the younger siblings out of harm.) But if you like that sort of thing, it's OK.
Janice
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an impulse buy and although I didn't regret reading it, I think the author did herself few favours by writing the whole book in the second person (hence the title presumably), in fact most of the time it drove me nuts. Aside from that I found it a quite compelling tale told through the eyes of a young girl growing up in Ireland in the 1980's with her fascinating, sometimes amusing and completely dysfunctional family.
Marisol Morales-Ladrón
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, it is a wonderful portrayal of a troubled childhood which, somehow, changes for the better as the family comes to terms with death. The ending is a bit melodramatic and the blissful tone contrasts too much with the beginning of the story. It is worth reading, though. It is not difficult to see that her author is also a poet.
Danielle
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This story is entirely written in second person. As it was the first time for me I read a story in second person, it took me some time to get used to it. By then, I realized I really liked the characters depicted in this little gem.

It is about a ten year old girl, living in Dublin and what happened with her and her family during one particular summer. It has both drama and humour.
Mary Crawford
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The river flows through this story of a fractured Dublin family. Although for once the separated father plays a continuos role in the family. A young girl deals with looking after her mother and younger brothers, the characters are well written and engaging.
Margaret
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little book, funny and heartbreaking in equal amounts, can't wait to see Nuala's latest - House of Special Purpose...
Finbar
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful book. The story is moving and rings true. The language, style and pace are spot-on. Everything is done just right. Excellent.
Rachel Trezise

• Silver
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Blood Orange
  • Too Close to Home
  • El murmullo de las abejas
  • My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1)
  • The Burning Chambers
  • The Lilac Bus
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • A Noise Downstairs
  • Love in the Time of Cholera
Also writes as Nuala O'Connor.

Ní Chonchúir studied at Trinity College Dublin, receiving a BA in Irish, and at Dublin City University, receiving a Masters in Translation Studies (Irish/English). She now lives in Galway.