Start by marking “The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store: A Rebus Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store: A Rebus Adventure

The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store: A Rebus Adventure

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
What lurks inside that mysterious store at the end of town? Only Benny Penny is adventurous enough to find out. . . .

Published September 14th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fantastic 5 & 10¢ Store

Traci Bold
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rebus books are always fun to read and this picture book by J. Patrick Lewis and Valorie Fisher does not disappoint.

Exciting and amazing things are happening at the 5 & 10 cent store. Take a peek inside. See what you discover.

Best to read this book together with your child simply for the fun of doing so.

Pictures and prose capture the delight of this story.

Published by Schwartz & Wade Books
Tasha
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Something new has appeared at the end of town. Benny Penny sets off to find out what it is and discovers a five and dime store that is filled with unusual items. The only thing missing at the store are customers and Benny Penny has an idea of how to bring them in! Pure silliness, this book celebrates the hodgepodge of an old-fashioned dime store with its amazing mishmash of offerings. Told in rebus format, this book is not designed for emerging readers because the rebus clues are rather difficul ...more
carissa
In this book, you can read the words and the pictures. Perfect for children just learning to read, this silly, kid-friendly rebus picture book is sure to be a hit in the classroom and at home. (In a rebus, words are represented by images, or by an image plus a letter. And even beginning readers can take pleasure in reading pictures!) The pairing of Valorie Fisher’s full-page art with J. Patrick Lewis’s funny rhyming poem will give young readers plenty of clues for solving these fun and engaging ...more
Jennifer Heise
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once my six year old got the idea of the rebus, he picked up reading this pretty well, though some of the rebuses were a bit tricky (Cloud?). The rhyme scheme helped with the reading, but these weren't tough rebuses, and the silly plot also made it easier. My son struggled the most with the names Penny, Dime and Nickel, as he hasn't mastered those coin names yet! We read it together and he enjoyed it a great deal. A lot of the text relied on font tricks more than rebuses to help the reader along ...more
Becca
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This rebus style book has been entwined just trying to decipher the page. It is a bit hard to follow, but once you get a rhythm and flow down, you read it much easier. There are numbers involved, making it a bit math-y. The pictures are irresistible and help you follow the story. Maybe 4th and 5th graders would have enough patience and higher thinking to read this on their own. If younger, read as a class would be more beneficial.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While I enjoyed reading the rebuses that accompanied the pictures, I didn't care much for the story. I've never been a fan of nonsense, and this reminded me too much of "Jabberwocky." Objects coming to life and running races, flying, marching--not my cup of tea. It's ok, I guess, but I've read better rebus books.
Donalyn
A fun story told in a combination of rebus word pictures and text. The story was not as engaging as the word art, but young readers will love guessing the rebus words. I disagree with the publisher's blurb, which claims this is a great book for early readers. I think the pictures are challenging!
Jess Brown
Mostly I liked this one because it's a rebus poem, and believe it or not, I actually had a family ask me specifically for a rebus poem book! Voila! It's a little bit clunky to get into, but half the fun is figuring out the puzzle, right?
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
A rebus book! I enjoyed looking at the pictures, though I find the rebus format a very slow read. Are there other rebus books that people like? I would purchase this for a K-5 library because I think students would really enjoy the format.
Heather
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this strange little book, but I thought the rebuses were plenty tough. Some rebus books are for very young children. This one would probably work better for good readers, maybe 3rd grade and up.
Sarah Sammis
Rebuses aren't my thing but both of my kids love it.
Becky
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun reading puzzles with pictures. Engaging for both children and adults.
Dianna
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
My son and I enjoyed the rebus aspect of this book (it was my son's first rebus story), but the story itself made very little sense.
Kate
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Liked the idea of this - a story told in rebuses, set in a junk store, but it didn't really work - too complex and long and confusing.
Joy Lane
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's tricky to read and a lot of fun. There are words as well as images for words that tell the story.
Matt
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, rebus
A little tricky at first.
Lisa
Feb 04, 2013
Heather
Sep 30, 2012
Rani
The wonderful things you can find in a store. Take a guess with clues from the rebus.
Denita
Sep 08, 2010
Beyond the Pages
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
J. Patrick Lewis is the current Children's Poet Laureate. He has written more than seventy children's books, including Once Upon a Tomb: Gravely Humorous Verses. J. Patrick Lewis lives in Ohio.
More about J. Patrick Lewis...