Start by marking “Engelsnacht (Engels-Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Engelsnacht (Engels-Saga, #1)

Engelsnacht

(Fallen #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  437,295 ratings  ·  18,615 reviews
Luce ist 17 und den ersten Tag auf dem Internat, als sie ihn sieht: Daniel Grigori, den unglaublich attraktiven, aber auch unglaublich distanzierten Jungen, von dem sie sicher ist, dass sie ihm schon einmal begegnet ist.
Daniel jedoch behauptet, sie nicht zu kennen - er scheint sie sogar zu hassen und weicht ihr aus, wo er nur kann.
Doch immer wenn Luce etwas Schlimmes wider
Published August 9th 2010 by cbt (first published December 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Engelsnacht, please sign up.
Cat Honestly, I don't know why there's so much hate for this book because I loved this series. I've probably read this series over 5 times, and just…moreHonestly, I don't know why there's so much hate for this book because I loved this series. I've probably read this series over 5 times, and just reading the description makes me want to re-read it. But then again, I seem to dislike the popular books that everyone says are amazing and love the ones that most people do not enjoy.
Anyway, I think you should at least give this book a try. I loved it, and maybe you will too.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Jun 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Ever. For any reason other than to teach them how NOT to write.
"In this lifetime you're nothing more than you appear to be: a stupid, selfish, ignorant, spoiled little girl who thinks the world lives or dies on whether she gets to go out with some good-looking boy at school. Even if your death wouldn't accomplish something so long-awaited, glorious, and grand, I'd still relish this moment, killing you."

I'm sorry, was I supposed to agree with absolutely everything the evil villain said and wait, with baited breath, for her to kill Lucinda Price painfully on
Penny
Dec 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's a glutton for punishment
First off, I'd have given this book zero stars were it possible, but since it isn't I gave it one star. This book is full of fail, end of story. There is no other way to describe this book, really.

That's a lie. There is another way to describe how bad this book is. Take everything that sucked about the Twilight series and multiply that by any number (except zero. Or one. Or any negative number. Aw, crap, you know what I mean). Because really, this book is a bad version of Twilight except with f
Haleema
Evidence of this book's similarities to Twilight:

1. New girl at school
2. Mary Sue
3. Girl attracts the hottest guys even though she has no personality or depth or anything remotely interesting about her
4. Guy is extremely mysterious (because he stands at a corner and glares at everyone passing by) rude, and tells the girl to stay away from him
5. Guy follows her around, and the girl isn't fazed whatsoever
6. Guy is 100-and-something-years-old and girl is 17

I don't understand. What is it with YA par
Kiki
Jul 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Broken dry wall
Recommended to Kiki by: A piece of broken dry wall
hayden
Mar 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THEY FALL IN LOVE IN TWO DAYS.

Lyndz
Jun 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I didn’t like this book the first time I read it, when it was called Twilight.
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
1 Star

Geeeeez.

This was quite the YA train wreck.

And I probably should have known better.

description

But, I saw this on the library shelf...its protective and majestic plastic library jacket just gleaming with promises of fantastical wonder...and I was drawn in like the total sucker I am.

description

But then reality hit.

Sigh.

This thing was about 100 pages too long...while still simultaneously feeling like it was 100 pages too short of actual information.

You know, "INFORMATION," AKA...

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS GOING
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
A more formal review of this book is on my blog which is still new. xD Check it out!

Updated: March 9th, 2012.

Also everyone, click here. *sigh* A fucking movie. Just what I needed.

Luce.

Lucinda. Fucking. Price.

You'd still stalk a guy even after he flipped you off when you first locked eyes with him? Even if he told you STRAIGHT IN THE FACE that he didn't want ANYTHING to do with you.

Why? Just...why?

I mean, he's hot. I get it. But what the fuck about Daniel Grigori is even remotely close to sweet
Steph Sinclair
Boring, lacking interesting characters, boring, terrible love interest, Bella Swan, boring. There are so many things I could rant about the 30% that I read, but instead I shall review this is one gif.

photo baddecision_zps7e121ea0.gif
Zara
Nov 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fucked
Annalisa
Mar 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls who want sexual tension without substance and don't mind being kept in the dark
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Reading this book was like walking through fog, or to pull description from the book, with black shadows blocking my view of everything, only it's not the black shadows that got in my way but the MC, Luce, and the author, Kate. I have no idea what the school looked like (no more that a glimpse of this and that) or what the characters were like (same thing, just glimpses that don't add up to anything) or even what was going on in any of the action scenes because a) Luce doesn't notice anything ex ...more
Elle

UPDATE: In celebration of my good friend Saha joining GoodReads I am re-posting my review of Fallen.

**********************************

So...

Who else was sucked in to this one by the cover?

Actually, Fallen was recommended to me by a friend who had almost had a conniption whilst telling me how 'spectacular' it was. And because I value this particular friend to the highest possible degree I assumed she would never subject me to anything that would fill me with the desire to RIP MY OWN BRAIN CELLS O
Meghan
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*This review has some spoilers for plot!*

Just as vampires are becoming old hat in YA literature, angels have swooped in to take their place in the pantheon of paranormal romance heroes--who knew? I was rather dubious of the whole trend (and still am), but boy, do I love me some Old Testament crazy, so I thought, "Let's see what they do with this." Even with my low expectations, I found this disappointing!

We begin with Daniel Grigori (whose last name gives the whole thing away if you know your s
Cait • A Page with a View
This was actually one of the better YA paranormal romances I've read, but I guess I'm not really into this genre at this point.

Yes, it has the typical plot of super intense star-crossed lovers, a love triangle, damned immortals, and it follows the normal outline (the MC arrives at a new school, is instantly attracted to some brooding dangerous guy, and he's rude as he tries to keep her away to protect her). BUT the writing is coherent and there's an added twist of the girl being reincarnated ev
Carolyn  Storer
4.5 Stars

I was really excited about reading Fallen, the cover is absolutely gorgeous and I just had to have it! Luckily I received an ARC, thanks to Random House Children's Books. This is another book that has had a lot of hype recently and, as with Hush Hush, it had a lot to live up to. I have read negative as well as positive reviews, so I went in with a completely open mind, and I wasn't disappointed.

The story starts out a little slow at the beginning and not a lot really happens in the way
P
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?”

Firstly, I really loved the movie even though everybody says it's bad or a copycat of Twilight. Yes, I must admit Fallen and Twilight have many similar things. Daniel and Edward. Luce and Bella. The insta-love that ignites so fast. But nowadays, some books are written from that same plot, however, the narration and the writers' strategy are the most important to make their books different despite of the plot.

“The only way to
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
The story follows Luce as she’s put in a reform school because well people think she’s a pyromaniac who killed a guy in a fire and is crazy. She goes to the reform school and meets let’s just say a bunch of weird people who have each been here for a long time for who knows what and decides to make them her friends. I know I would have either ran away from that school or never interacted with anyone because someone might just be a murderer. But that’s not the case in this book.

Luce sees Daniel o
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hmmmm, I wonder what my friends thought of this one????
Palm Springs commercial photography

^^^^^“This should end well,” said no Mitchell ever.

Let me begin by swearing to all of you that I’m not becoming one of those “rage reviewers.” You know who I’m talking about. They are the people who seem to only choose books they know right from the jump they will hate and then write up a huge rant only to repeat the process over and over and over to infinity and beyond.

Fallen ha
Jeff
This book was pretty good!!! But after the next few books, THIS SERIES WAS DNF-ED. -_-

So here's the average girl who gets sent to this mysterious school, and then.....you know it!!

A HOT DUDE COMES IN AND SWOOPS HER AWAY.

THAT'S IT.

So yes, this is ur typical story about a girl getting hypnotized by a very bad boy.

But don't worry, now's where the 'action' comes in! We've got a crazy girl, a hot sex god, and her awesome and ridiculous friends.
(.........this is going to go great...............)

Howev
Arlene
There's nothing I dislike more than a book that's just downright boring with less than intriguing characters. Oh wait, silly me, yes there is! I can't stand this new trend of shoving shallow storylines into needless series and trying to hook the reader with an annoying cliffhanger. Not right IMHO. This book came across as an incomplete story, where there were many questions left unanswered, and done so in such a sloppy manner that they came across as plot holes. For me, this book was a mental eq ...more
Thomas
Fallen is one of those books that should not be judged by its cover. Despite the alluring, ambiguous plot promised by the book jacket, this book fell flat in way too many areas.

The story is about Lucinda Price, who is sent to Sword and Cross boarding school after being suspected of arson. She also claims to have seen shadows stalking her, which only adds to the paranoia people presume of her. There, she meets some nice friends - but no one compares to the attractive and mysterious Daniel Grigori
Kogiopsis
EDIT: Forgot to add original half-started review at the end. Fixed!

Some time back I postulated on Facebook that all YA PNRs were trying to be the Doctor and Rose, and that they were all failing miserably. I never meant that idea to make it into a review, and yet... well, here we are, aren't we? So welcome to a review in which I use Doctor Who to explain this burgeoning genre in general, and Fallen in particular. Even if you don't know the show, it should be fairly cogent.

Let's start with the 'wh
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a tricky book to review, for a very simple reason: I did not know what this book was about, or what kind of book it was, when I started reading it, and the slow reveal made for a pleasurable, interactive reading experience. So, I'm torn. On the one hand, I want others to have the same experience, which would mean I would have to keep mum about the plot etc. On the other hand, I really really want to talk about what actually happens. See? Torn.

I admit, unashamedly, that I bought this book
xrysa
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angels, young-adult
This book was a bit comfusing for me. The first half of the book was a little boring but the other half was very interesting.I dont know why but for the first time in my life I was annoyed by the 3rd person POV.

Luce

Luce is new to the "Sword and Cross" school and everything is so much different than she expected to be. From the fisrt time she lays her eyes on him she has this weird feeling that she already knows him.

Daniel

He made it clear from the very first moment
STAY AWAY FROM ME

And there is a
Mel
Sep 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists who enjoy men who treat them like shit
I know that constant cussing makes a critical review look immature and unintelligent... but you know what? FUCK that. A disgusting, awful, jackass-glorifying book like this deserves to be cussed out, especially after I sat through most of it.

And I'm going to cuss this book out, in the style of the 'Fuck you' speech from 25th hour. And I don't care how stupid my review is going to look.

FUCK THIS MOTHERFUCKING BOOK.

Fuck this book, with writing and plot that is so dry that you literally feel deh
jesse
Nov 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

the main character was incredibly boring, annoying and flat. (the others too, actually, but let's stick with the main character to get to the point)

every few pages lucinda had to tell us how strong and mighty daniel was, how fascinating his hair was and how hurt and excited she felt, if daniel didn't even deign to look at her. let me quote from the book's only (sometimes) likeable character, penn (- yes, it was that bad):

“my point is,” luce said finally, “i’m not so superficial that all i’m l
SKB
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Steph Su
Jul 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debs09, problematic
If FALLEN is the future of YA supernatural fiction, then I fear for this genre. FALLEN is painfully dull and slow, with very little besides the concept of fallen angels and the suggestion of an impossible romance to recommend it to readers.

If the plot of FALLEN were to race a glacier, the glacier would win. From the moment Luce arrives at Sword & Cross, the plot feels like it’s always tripping over its own feet in order to explain itself, and to no avail. I don’t mind a gradually building pl
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Horrible. Just horrible and unreadable. That is all.
Lina
Just saw the "Fallen" movie. 47 385 Dec 03, 2018 08:45AM
Drop Everything A...: Fallen 7 54 Nov 10, 2018 08:44AM
Laurel County Pub...: October 2018 1 5 Oct 03, 2018 06:28AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Fallen Series By Lauren Kate - Reading "Fallen" from June 12th 2018 299 197 Jun 29, 2018 06:20PM
Similar stories to Fallen 2 12 May 25, 2018 06:09AM
Luce being baptized 13 109 May 07, 2018 07:49AM
Addicted to YA: Fallen by Lauren Kate 39 688 Apr 29, 2018 11:09AM
  • Evernight (Evernight, #1)
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Flutter (My Blood Approves, #3)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)
  • Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas, #1)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)
  • Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)
Lauren Kate grew up in Dallas, went to school in Atlanta, and started writing in New York.
She is the author of the Fallen novels, the Teardrop novels, and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her family.

Fallen (5 books)
  • Torment (Fallen, #2)
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Rapture (Fallen, #4)
  • Unforgiven (Fallen, #5)
“What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?” 1455 likes
“Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed.” 1220 likes