Start by marking “Best Food Writing” as Want to Read:
Best Food Writing

Best Food Writing

(Best Food Writing)

A new edition of the authoritative and appealing anthology, comprised of the finest culinary prose from the past year's books, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and Web sites. With food writing and blogging on the rise, there's no shortage of treats on the buffet to choose from, including selections from both established food writers and new stars on everything from note ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published October 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Best Food Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Food Writing

Kate
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly fantastic collection of a wide range of food writing. While the section on restaurants and chefs got a little scene-y for my tastes -- I'm not so interested in 20 pages of stalking an elusive chef -- I loved returning to this collection at the end of each day. Can't wait to check out more writing from many of the included authors, and track down previous years' publications as well.
Leesgoodfood
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like readings the various perspectives an various food-related things. And few good recipes. But mostly writing. A lovely tribute to Gourmet magazine in one of the last essays.
Don't let the length of time it took me to finish this fool you: I take books of essays and shorts stories to read at the dog park when there is no one to talk with.
Elizabeth
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, food, essays
In essays, I appreciate broad themes, but not broad topics. The book is divided into several sections (on debates, world food, cooking at home, favorite foods), with a number of relevant essays in each. Those with specific topics tend to compel while those that shoot wide felt generally wasted.

The debate section ('food fights') was a bit tedious - broad themes AND broad topics - most of which were written by meat eaters who admit all the problems with eating meat but oh they just like it so much
Liz
Nov 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Many of these essays were too short and, unsurprisingly in this charcuterie-crazed era, many dealt with meat. But it's a neat anthology with diverse content. I read it slowly (obviously). Some of my favorites were "The Doughnut Gatherer," by a food critic whose 3-year-old has a severe form of acid reflux that leaves him with no appetite--she celebrates when he starts eating gas station doughnuts--"Will Work Nights," a funny riff on restaurant kitchen mayhem, and "World's Best Sommelier vs. World ...more
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yum, read2011
Favorites this year are confessions of professional foodies humbled by an elusive genius and a toddler, respectively. The Perfect Chef by Todd Kliman and The Doughnut Gatherer by Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl.

(Oh, and foodwriters? You've been warned. You still want your madeleines? You can have your madeleines. BUT I WILL HAVE YOUR STARS! ONE FOR EACH PASTRY! Diane Roberts, you lost it for the team on p. 281.)
Rob Gall
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I found this book on the street . . . left for me by some considerate NYC soul. I'm not much on anthologies but am very interested in food/cooking/exploration. With a bit of surprise I found this collection of writings/bloggings on food and related subjects to be very entertaining. Some of the articles were, in 2015, a bit dated as some the new wave phenomes of 2010 are old hat in 2015. Not this book's fault, however. Only a (relatively) short series of articles on how we should all be vegans ke ...more
Vince Darcangelo
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Faves:

All hail Jason Sheehan. Killer writer, and his piece, "Will Work Nights," is the stand-out of this collection.

Other hits include:

Amanda Faison: "Soul Food"

Barry Estabrook: "The Need for Custom Slaughter"

Janet A. Zimmerman: "All That Glitters"

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt: "How to Make Perfect Thin and Crispy French Fries"

Frank Bruni: "World's Best Sommelier vs. World's Worst Customer"

David Leite and Renee Schettler: "Computers or Cookbooks in the Kitchen?"

Jess Thompson: "A Glutton for Gluten"

Marisa R
Cindy
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wrote this once and it disappeared -- trying again. I especially liked the comments on wine and the current trend of 2010 -- brining. I enjoyed the wine reflection which takes a bit to task those who pay $$$ for wine (per some wine guide) and delight in that alone versus the columnist who believes the great finds are actually those which are more obscure (and less costly). Fun to read each chapter, how one guy followed a chef around the country. If you like food -- and reading about it -- this i ...more
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, shorts, 2011
I'm amazed at how much I can enjoy reading about food. You'd think I'd get tired of it, but no. Fun stories reminding me of tastes, smells, and experiences I've had and adventures I'd love to take. I may prefer reading my favorite food blogs, but this is so much more portable.

Favorite essay is "God Loves You and You Can't Do a Thing About It," from Spoon Fed: How Eight Cooks Saved My Life.
cat
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2011
2011 Book 49/100

A collection of food essays that have varying levels of success, with a few true standouts. I wished that the book was full of writing more like Todd Kliman's, which you can read at the link below without having to wade through all of the carnivore apologists and terroir-loving wine experts. You can thank me later.

Kerri
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Great book! It took me a bit to get through the whole thing because I only read a one or two of the articles a night, but everything in it was well-written and entertaining. I went to bed dreaming of food after every story. The editor definitely picked the best of the best. The authors delved into well-know cuisines and dishes, as well as ones I had never heard of, making for an informative and inspiring read.
Sue Sensor
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I love to read short stories and love to eat. It was a quick read. I was able to leaf through the book and read the passages that I found interesting. I didn't feel the pressure to finish the whole book.
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Not up to the best of the series, but always worth a read. I especially liked "The Doughnut Gatherer" by Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl and "Potlucky" by Sam Sifton. Maybe the whole problem is NO CALVIN TRILLIN! Trillin should always be included, every single year.
Dwayne
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok. I think I would have gotten more out of it if I was a Capitol F Foodie, but I'm not. Though the essay on reverse engineering McDonalds French fries was great.
Karen
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Some of the stories here seem a bit mundane. Overall, good content, lots of fun tidbits, but not overwhelmingly fun.
Jo
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I've read several of these annual anthologies over the years. All have been well enjoyed, this one particularly so with a wide range of topics.
S.
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series but I had trouble getting through this one. Some sections went a little slower than others.
Dan
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I only read the essays on sardines and French fries and both were great. I didn't read the whole book because, frankly, I find a lot of food writing tedious and pretentious.
Tracey
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoy this series. I love food writing, and some of my favorite writers show up every year. It's also fun when a writer from my city shows up and talks about places I know about.
Jesse
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice selection - I appreciated the editor including new media sites as well.
Stephanie
I receive a copy of this every year and always enjoy reading it. This year the pieces that examine the pros and cons of the locavore movement are particularly intriguing...
Raelene
Feb 26, 2011
Elisabeth
Dec 05, 2015

• Fork It Over: The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • American Food Writing: an Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • The Bizarre Truth: How I Walked Out the Door Mouth First . . . and Came Back Shaking My Head
  • Man with a Pan
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef
  • Indian Takeaway: One Man's Attempt to Cook His Way Home
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentices: A Season in the Kitchen at Ferran Adrià's elBulli
  • High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America

Best Food Writing (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Best Food Writing 2000
  • Best Food Writing 2006
  • Best Food Writing 2007
  • Best Food Writing 2008
  • Best Food Writing
“Under international trade laws, “sardine” covers almost two dozen species of fish (for U.S. products it exclusively means young herring), though the true sardine, from Portugal, Spain, France, Morocco, and Algeria, refers to the young pilchard (Sardina pilchardus) caught in Mediterranean or Atlantic waters.” 0 likes
“Heck, now that there’s more herring (with cream, with onions, with curry sauce), and even more salmon (thick-cut Scottish loins, gravlax, pastrami-style, organic double-smoked Danish), and even sandwiches like the now-famous Super Heebster (whitefish and baked salmon salad, horseradish cream cheese, wasabi-roe), you could argue Russ & Daughters keeps getting better. Especially for those who shopped for 40 years before the place started toasting the bagels. (“Yes, we toast!” says the sign.)” 0 likes