Start by marking “Thora: A Half-Mermaid Tale” as Want to Read:
Thora: A Half-Mermaid Tale

Thora: A Half-Mermaid Tale

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Thora's no ordinary girl. She's got scales on her legs, purple feet, and a blowhole that squirts water from the top of her head. Thora's a half-mermaid. And as mermaid law commands, Thora must spend ten years at sea and ten years on land. In a houseboat called the Loki, Thora sails the seas with her mermaid mother, Halla, and guard ian, Mr. Walters. But following her tenth ...more
Published July 26th 2005 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published October 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thora

Piper
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term-read
This book has been one of my favourite books since I was a kid . Thora is a book about a girl with a human dad and a mermaid mom . So Thora has to spend 10 years in the ocean and then 10 years on land , or else she will die . I guess I have always liked this book because it was such a good book for anybody of any age . I'm so glad that I decided to read this book again, because I actually forgot about how good this book is.
Sara
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an undiscovered gem. Along the lines of a more cheerful Roald Dahl story, this book should be in print and should be read by young girls who love to dream, who love to read and who love to get the better of horrid adults.

Great for bedtime reading aloud, as well.
Kim North
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this with Katrena, she loved it and kept begging me to read just one more chapter. It is a cute story about a 10 year old girl. I totally recommend it for your 7-9 year old daughters
Nilsson
I'd really like to witness a half mermaid squirting water out from the top of their head. I wonder if they ever show people? I keep imagining what would've happened if my family really had sold our trailer for a houseboat.
Eva
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-10 year olds
I'm rating it according to my opinion of it when I was younger- around ten I'd say, or maybe younger- when I loved it. I haven't read it recently but for the target audience it's worthy of five stars.
Sharon
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THOSE CHILDHOOD MEMORIES THOUGH
Selena Smith
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can I read this book
Cheri
Kid Book Club liked this one better than I did. They chose it randomly off of the shelves and it won out against a number of other books that I thought they'd like better. Yet, it never failed to hold their attention! They were confused by all of the characters at first, but eventually (after drawing a character map) they were swept up into the story. Thora, the half-mermaid, half-person, is a very quirky girl with a strong sense of adventure. Her behavior is that of a kid who has spent the firs ...more
Katharine
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book when I was younger, but time has fuzzed my remembrance of the plot. Only details remain: an old cinema in a small town run by two (somewhat) friendly old ladies, a girl with a blowhole (too cool... mermaids can be strange for a change!), a mother who's hair smelled oddly enough of pumpkin pie, and a houseboat with a hole cut in the floor to enter the sea. I suppose it was just a wacky enough book for me then.
Angel
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book in my bookshelf, and I wanted to give it a go since I've never read it. So at school I was reading it in class and my friend Brenden said, "You still read kiddie books? Aren't we in highschool not primary(elementary)? He was right but I still loved it! I finished it when I got home. I read this back in June, and it was worth it. So now I'm never going to judge a book by it's cover:)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • To Catch a Mermaid
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Third Wish (Fairy Realm, #3)
  • Curses and Ash (The Siren Chronicles #2)
  • Wet Magic
  • Curse of the Were-wiener (Dragonbreath, #3)
  • The Genie Scheme
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #2)
  • Herbert's Wormhole
  • The Strictest School in the World: Being the Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken (The Mad Misadventures of Emmaline and Rubberbones)
  • Underwater Love (Fred the Mermaid, #1-3)
  • Julep O'Toole: Confessions of a Middle Child
  • Gargoyle Hall (Araminta Spookie, #6)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)