Start by marking “Schattenstunde (Die dunklen Mächte, #1)” as Want to Read:
Schattenstunde (Die dunklen Mächte, #1)

Schattenstunde (Darkest Powers #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  139,974 Ratings  ·  5,915 Reviews
Ich heiße Chloe Saunders, und mein Leben wird nie mehr so sein, wie es einmal war. Ich wollte immer eine ganz normale Jugendliche sein. Doch heute weiß ich nicht einmal mehr, was das ist, normal sein. Alles begann an dem Tag, an dem ich meinen ersten Geist sah und er mich. Nun kommen immer mehr Tote auf mich zu, die irgendetwas von mir wollen. Und da das alles andere als n ...more
Published 2010 by Pan (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Schattenstunde, please sign up.

Sydney It somewhat contains a love story. But it is not the main focus of the story. It has a ton of twists and turns and I really recommend reading it.

Kat Kennedy
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate puppies and rainbows and sunshine
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: not Tatiana, that's for damn sure!
I sat down at my computer this morning and tried to think of something interesting to say about my reading experience of The Summoning. It seems though, that all of my creative faculties have been sucked away since I spent eighty percent of this book imagining what the story COULD have been.

The story is like the little engine that could. It has the potential, it's chugging away, it's working hard. Only as it turns out it's The Little Engine That Could Have Been Something interesting.

The first pa
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

I thought this book was pretty good. I thought the blurb sounded good when it mentioned Chloe seeing ghosts! I mean the first ghost she saw as a child would have freaked me clean out!!

Later on Chloe is 15 and in high school. She has a breakdown at school, or so they think, really she just saw a ghost that keeps melting his skin and looking all creepy! But this book is not what it seems at all!

Poor Chloe finally gets sent to the Lyle House for "special kids". She has no idea.

No one would say w
Heather
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book was nearly impossible to put down and I have no doubt that the menacing allure of the setting and plot hindered my ability to do so.

There were several compelling plot points going on in this chilling tome, but somehow they not only found a way to co-exist, they actually enhanced one another. The idea of necromancers alone was an eerily intriguing concept but to then confound it with a mental institution setting was sheer sinister brilliance. As if it weren’t creepy enough for the hero
Vilde
Reading this book made me clench my jaw so much it's still hurting several hours later. Although the story is not a standalone, it really left me with a bone chilling feeling and I truly can't wait for the next book in the series.

Chloe's a young girl struggling with her new found power, Lyle House and her housemates, the setting itself is filled with teenage hormones and jealousy. It's filled with mysteries and no one seems to be what they appear,this is especially true for her housemates. We jo
Kristi
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I’m one of the last people to read this! I’ve heard nothing but how good this novel is, and that I must read it ASAP. When I received a copy of The Awakening, the next novel, I knew that I needed to read The Summoning, right away. (I’m almost glad I waited to read it, so I could start The Awakening right away! What an ending!)

This book is everything I was hoping for and more! I’ve never read Armstrong before, I really want to read her adult fantasy series, but I just haven’t had a chance
Tatiana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA paranormal fantasy who like cliffhangers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy
As seen on The Readventurer

"The Summoning" is the first YA novel written by Kelley Armstrong. It tells a story of Chloe, a 15-year old girl who suddenly finds herself capable of seeing ghosts. Only, of course, nobody believes her and she is quickly sent to a boarding house for disturbed kids for psychological evaluation. It turns out however, that the house and its inhabitants are not quite what they seem to be.

While this book was definitely a page turner, I was a little disappointed in it. I fe
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^

So I bought this book last year at a summer book fair, I was not expecting to like it cus me and Kelley weren’t friends after reading Bitten, which I felt was mediocre at best but this book came as a surprise. First I was all like typical teenage stuff, girl complaining about life, afraid to ask boy to the dance typical stuff. Until this girl starts to see things that no one else can and then it became all kinds of interesting.

Chloe Saunders is having some weird dreams abo
Arlene
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong is a story about Chloe Saunders who is a fifteen year old necromancer just beginning to realize her powers. She is not quite aware of its possibilities and at the onset of her revelation; she suffers a meltdown in school and is placed in a house supposedly for mentally ill teens. When she arrives at Lyle House, Chloe discovers that her fellow patients also have unusual powers and all is not what it seems to be.

The story started off well enough, but really didn't
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, adults
This book turned me into a shameless fiend for the Chloe and Derek relationship - I adored their banter, and their romantic date in the basement with the dead bodies, and their other romantic encounter in the shower. (Note: my views on what is romantic may be deeply weird.)

On the first read, I found the book a little hard to get into, but on subesequent re-reads that hasn't been a problem at all. Realistic characters, interesting powers, cliffhanger ending... I'd do a lot to get the next book!
Monisha
This book was ^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^ .

At first I thought it was kinda weird but that made me read it more to find out what was going on.

This book has everything a book needs.

Interesting, mind you, very interesting, characters, mystery, crazy people, and a writing style that says, "If you put me down, so help me you will regret it. Keep reading, you know you want too."

Did you hear that?
It sang the last part!
Sad part is, you keep reading for fear of waiting until the next time you might pick it
  • The Hollow (The Hollow, #1)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1)
  • Fade (Wake, #2)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Darkest Powers (4 books)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • The Complete Darkest Powers Tales
“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”
770 likes
“Simon: Anyone ever tell you your sense of timing really sucks?
Derek: That's why I don't play the drums. Now what's up?”
559 likes