Start by marking “The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation” as Want to Read:

From the sarcastic to the suggestive, here are quotation marks as we love them best, doing horrible damage to the English language. Who wouldn't have second thoughts about ordering the "hamburger" on the diner's menu? Would it be best to skip the "blowout" sale at the department store? What hidden price must be paid for something marked "free"? Assembled by the creator of ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Chronicle Books (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

Start your review of The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
MischaS_
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I thought it might be a decent funny book - unfortunately, it was... boring?

The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks, in fact, is more Unnecessary than anything else.
David Schaafsma
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A reread, which has led to laughter all over this house. Maybe it won't affect you in the same way. But you NEED to laugh and you can't get this book, so go straight to the original blog, and here's just four highlights, any of which will take you to the original Blog of "Unnecessary" Quotations:

I got this book so I could have something to show everyone a representation of Keeley's amazing blog, and it is terrific, worth a lot of laughs. Keeley herself started to take photographs (am I right, Bethany?) of signs all over the country of this curious grammatical phenomenon of people putting quotes around words for no clear (to me or her) reason. As in "Fresh" Brown Eggs for Sale! Funny, right? So she invites people all over the world to send her pictures of signs with unnecessary quotations and it's amazing, and hilarious.

And listen: though I am an English teacher, I am not a stuffy grammarian. I don't look at this to feel superior about my grammatical abilities! Really not! I just find it interesting, and funny.

Laughing loud as I read the book, I am reminded of this NPR segment about an Indian physician who quit his job as a doctor to do clinics all over the country about the importance of laughter, but in spite of all his academic training, he (thank goodness) did not lecture on the virtues of laughter for good health; he would just tell jokes and make sure everyone laughed and laughed until they cried. His idea is that, as Art Linklater used to say, "laughter is the best medicine." That's what this blog has meant for me.
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell
This wasn't very funny. :|

GR review to come, or read it early HERE.
Jennifer Lavoie
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I thought it would be funny to have in my classroom, and I figured I might find some examples that would make the kids not only laugh, but teach them. There were some times I was so hysterical reading the book and seeing the silly marks put that I had to put the book down or risk dropping it. I don't know if I was just in a silly mood from the heat of if it was genuinely that funny. I did enjoy it though, and I know some students will also think it funny. There are man ...more
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I "enjoyed reading" this "book."
Kricket
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
full disclosure- i grew up with the author of this book and i've been reading her blog for several years, so i already knew i'd "like" this "book." (sorry. i know. everyone's doing that.) anyway, the material here really isn't different from that on the blog, but it's fun to read in print. bethany's commentary made me laugh so hard that the other people in the break room made me pass the book around, and then we were all "dying."

only slightly related tangent:
i think the concept of blogs p
Pamela
The pictures are the star of this book; the commentary often amusing but nothing glorious. There were some odd typos in the actual text that made me side-eye this--if you're calling someone out for weird punctuation, please check your spelling. I know this is Muphry's Law at work (and I'll probably mess something up in this review), but still.

Definitely just borrow this from your library--it's not worth whatever hipster price they're charging for it as a Novelty Book.
H
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Are you one of those people who are "annoyed" by "unnecessary" quotation marks? Then this book might just be "for you." It if full of photos of "signs" that have punctuation that serves no purpose other than to irritate those who punctuate properly or question what is really being "said." Have "fun" reading and try not to be too frustrated by the "obvious" errors of others.
Oriana
Aug 14, 2010 marked it as to-read
Aw, if only I still worked in a bookstore where I could "steal" books. Because I'd love to have this book in my bathroom, but it's not really very likely I would ever exchange money for that "privilege," you know?
Jill
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was life changing....I'm sure I will never use quotation marks again without taking pause first to see that I'm using them "correctly" :) Fun book, quick to read since mostly pictures. Thanks bro' for the nifty Christmas present!
Leslie
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m as “guilty” as the next “person” in unnecessarily using quotation marks. Sorry. I know. Everyone’s doing that. But I’m even more pathetic. I copied that “sentence” from “reviewer” Kricket.
Tara Schaafsma
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this was hilarious. My kids were perplexed because I was laughing so much. Of course, I was "drunk," so that might have made a difference.
Margie
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: words
So "good". I'm not sure which I like better - the photos or the snarky comments that accompany the photos.
Evan Ponstingle
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The funniest book I have ever read. I have NEVER read through this without laughing!
Bryn
Quit at the 66.8% mark. Not as funny as I was hoping.
SS
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it

This is an okay book. It's a super quick read, and it does fulfill the promise of the synopsis. The signs included in the book are, in general, humorous. At the beginning of the book,, the author lays out the rules involved in using quotation marks. The people who made the signs either did not understand the rules, or they decided to use the quotation marks to highlight word
Harris
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Another book "iteration" of a humorous blog featuring "user" submitted material gathered from the wide weird "world." In this case, "unnecessary" quotation marks, which to me are a particularly funny brand of grammatical weirdness that pops up "frequently" in the wild on daily life. The placement of the "humble" quotation marks in an otherwise commonplace statement such as an ad for "handmade" candy (to give an example I saw personally just yesterday) can open up so much interpretation. Is it ac ...more
Stef
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Books like this can feel redundant when read from start to finish in one sitting, and this one is no exception; the quotation-mark-laden text becomes dizzying at a point and you forget what you're looking at, aside from a heap of wrongness. Still, in small doses, this book is enjoyable. The captions are entertaining and amusing, although they can distract from the images of text; they suggest a way of reading and interpreting the quoted text and it can be confusing.

I do love/hate inappropriate
Petr
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art, fun, ebook
This book is a truly large collection of misused quotation marks with some comments from the author. It would certainly serve for an occasional giggle or as a good conversation starter about punctuation or grammar and language.

It seemed to me that the main message is that people do not understand quotation marks and use them for emphasis. Because that seems to be the case in all the examples. What is funny, in some cases, is to imagine that they used the quotation marks correctly. Ho
Heather
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Couldn't wait to get this book and read it cover to cover in about an hour, and laughed aloud through the whole thing. Clever, snarky commentary at its best, without being preachy or condescending. I'd give it 5 stars, but can't, since it's really more of a slideshow than a "book," and I think I would have laughed equally hard without much of the commentary. Many of the signs, like one that reads "JESUS" IS COMING, speak for themselves. A must-read for people like me who walk through their days ...more
Shonna Froebel
This is one of those short, humorous books that have you chuckling as you read. As a lover of words, grammar and punctuation, I was naturally drawn to this one.
It includes photos of signs with quotation marks in, surprise surprise, unnecessary places. Keeley groups them into categories like "Work", "Restaurants", etc. and a short comment is included with each one.
It really does make you wonder what goes through people's heads when they are making these signs. It also reflects sadly o
Amber
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm always willing to read a book that makes fun of punctuation errors! This book was so funny, and is definitely worth reading if you are constantly wondering why people use quotation marks for emphasis. This is a coffee table type of book, great for a quick amusing glance. I found the humour hilarious and sardonic. This would be an excellent gift for an English teacher or someone with a particular pet peeve for misused quotation marks.
Heather
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
My sister picked up this book because... well, honestly, we had experience with people using unnecessary quotation marks and this book looked like it would be funny. We were not disappointed! It was so funny to see all the times other people used quotes when they didn't need to be there. In some cases, the implications - because of the punctuation - made an otherwise boring, ordinary sign into something totally hilarious.
Halli
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm always willing to read a book that makes fun of punctuation errors! This book was so funny, and is definitely worth reading if you are constantly wondering why people use quotation marks for emphasis. The signs alone would make for an entertaining read, but the author's comments are what make this book truly worthwhile. My cheeks still hurt from laughing!
Andrew
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You call this "punctuation"? You say you graduated "high school", right? Have you "emphasized" the right "words", "question mark"? You probably haven't. The pictures and captions in this book are lessons in negative reinforcement, and an absolute riot for grammar fanatics. They'll have you slapping your forehead and giggling for hours.
Aubrey
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
The criteria for books like this is simple - provide a few laugh out loud moments with plenty of other smirks or snickers. This book failed in all accounts. It was enjoyable, but not something I would look at again unless there were no other options. The blog the book is based off of is a perfect example of what is in the book, with nothing expanded upon.
Marzena
Mar 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Do you know what blog posts tend to do? They tend to do dull books. Especially if the book repeats the posts.

I came for fun and what I got was a twichy eye and quiet whimpering of my inner grammarian. Remarks aside, do these photos really make you laugh? Cause I'd rather cry at these poor souls who didn't bother to pay attention at school. And then possibly I'd toss a book at them.
Mystry
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grammar Police with a sense of humor
I found this book for a dollar at Half-Price Books. I noticed it was published by Chronicle Books, and as I love the quirky things they put out had to buy it. Definitely worth a dollar as it gave me quite a few good chuckles. Every page has a full-color picture along with a little blurb. Some of the places people have decided to use quotation marks... "yikes".
Hester
Sign
Signs
Everywhere are signs
Unnecessary quotation marks here
Unnecessary quotation marks there

This book making me think
All about signs
What do those quotation marks
Really mean?

I either don't pay attention to the signs around me they don't have unnecessary quotation marks on the signs where I live. From now on I''ll on the look out for signs like these.
Steph
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so amazing. I love that someone else in this world has a problem watching quotation marks pop up in the most ridiculous places! Lovely idea for a book, but it did get a bit repetitive; maybe not every photo needed a caption... Half its length could have left only the very best ones and therefore left me laughing hysterically throughout.
« previous 1 3 next »

• F for Effort: More of the Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • F in Exams: The Best Test Paper Blunders
  • K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice
  • The Underachiever's Manifesto: The Guide to Accomplishing Little and Feeling Great
  • Crap Dates: Disastrous Encounters from Single Life
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Spy the Lie: Three Former CIA Officers Reveal Their Secrets to Uncloaking Deception
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • Permanent Emergency: Inside the TSA and the Fight for the Future of American Security
  • Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America
  • A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life
  • Black Mass
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure
  • I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun
  • Cajun Fried Felony (Miss Fortune Mystery #15)
  • Fascism: A Very Short Introduction