Start by marking “Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family #1)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  16,950 Ratings  ·  2,185 Reviews
From the author of the highly addictive and bestselling Blue Bloods series, with almost 3 million copies sold, comes a new novel, Melissa de la Cruz's first for adults, featuring a family of formidable and beguiling witches.

The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrou
Published June 21st 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Witches of East End, please sign up.

Wise Cat I think the book is just as good as the series!! I LOVED that show, and stupid Lifetime cancelled it after just 2 seasons!! The shows sticks pretty…moreI think the book is just as good as the series!! I LOVED that show, and stupid Lifetime cancelled it after just 2 seasons!! The shows sticks pretty close to the book, except for some minor name/appearance changes for some characters.

When I read the book, I pictured the cast of the show, which was right on in my opinion! The book does end on a different kind of cliffhanger, but at least there's more books I can read. For the show, they just yanked it from us. PISSES me off!

Dash and Killian are brothers in the book, but they are different. Supernatural stuff is involved, but saying more would be a spoiler.(less)
Veronica
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

EZRead eBookstore
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amelia-reviews
Note: If I could give 2 1/2 stars, I would; but, only because I liked the beginning.

There are few things more disappointing to avid readers than when we discover the book we invested time in, suddenly loses its appeal at the closing of the story. Although I was intrigued with the characters and the plot for nearly three quarters of the book, the spell of the “Witches of East End” wore out, getting bogged down with last minute explanations that felt more misleading than clarifying.

Yes, the magi
Fafa's Book Corner
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

Last year I read Triple Moon. And I was surprised that I enjoyed it! So I decided to read the previous series that featured some of the side characters. I am very happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

The book begins with a prologue. Bill and Maura Thatcher are walking along a beach. During their nightly walk they run into their neighbor Joanna Beauchamp. They say hello. But she merely replies coldly that there's nothing to s
Jessica
May 16, 2011 marked it as did-not-finish
Apparently this is my day for cranky reviews. DNF, no rating.

It starts off with an overwritten, precious description of the mythical town of North Hampton, Long Island, then proceeds to describe one of the heroines, Freya, who has the cheekbones of a model without being gauche enough to be model-thin all over, as is demonstrated by her ample bosom. Shortly after that lovely introduction, we see Freya go into the closet for a quickie with her fiance's brother at their engagement party.

I'm sure th
Cheryl
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Joanna lives in North Hampton with her two daughters, Ingrid and Freya. Everything is good except that Joanna and her daughters are witches. Freya is engaged to Bran Gardiner. Ingrid has no man but she does have her eyes on the sexy, detective, Matt Noble.

The women have been banned from using their powers. Of course, there is only so long that a witch can go without using her powers. Slowly the three women start using their powers. Strange things start happening around town. When all signs poin
Crowinator
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Let me start off by admitting that I’ve never read anything else by Melissa de la Cruz, except her short story in The Eternal Kiss anthology, which I remember being decent enough. I expected to like this adult debut more than I did, especially when I see the good reviews it’s getting elsewhere. I wonder, was I just really cranky when I read this? Why was I hyper-aware of every time de la Cruz used the phrase “for lack of a better word”, or dismissive of the entire paragra
Neil (or bleed)
Actual rating: 3.5

Witches of East End is a cliched witch story. It has the same formulation with other witch novels out there wherein the sexy witches are banned to use magic and forced to live with people as mundane as possible (yet didn't happen at all, as usual).

But, the thing is, it has a good storyline and well-written pace. It has the kind of enticing mystery and compelling vibe that will definitely urge you to turn the pages and read more. And those are enough to compromise to the cliche
Parajunkee
May 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Another disappointment. WITCHES OF EAST END cinched that I am officially in a book slump. Packed full of aloof and unrealistic characters along with a hazy and murky plot attempt, I trudged through WITCHES OF EAST END, nearly forcing myself to turn each page. The author’s tone was snooty and the characters behavior was childlike and paired with the young adult writing style it made the “adult” actions of the characters almost indecent, even though in a well-written adult novel it would be normal ...more
Nicole
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to write a review for this book based primarily on the fact that there are so many bad reviews out there on it and it almost dissuaded me from reading it. This book is great please give it a try dont be dissusaded by the bad reviews because they are completely unfounded. If you enjoy this type of genre (witches,magic, paranormal) then you will love this book. As all new series are it takes a little time to get the background story but once you get into it you wont want to stop. My personal ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Melissa de la Cruz knows how to write a good series especially for TV; I LOVED Witches of East End series and I was pretty upset when they cancelled the series. I love all the Beauchamp women but I got to say Freya was my favorite. I really wanted her to end up with Killian Gardiner!

I bought this book way before the TV series aired, but I decided to start reading it now. Because I keep wondering what happened with uptight Ingrid, with caty Wendy, with the bittersweet life of Joanna.

I read the no
Lois Duncan
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was fascinated by this book until about half way through it when there were so many references to mythical characters and events that took place before this story started that I found myself totally lost. I loved the three main characters. But I felt as if I'd wandered into the middle of a series that everyone else had been reading from the beginning, instead of reading the first book in an up-coming series.
  • Suspicion (The Witches of Santa Anna, #9)
  • Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • 666 Park Avenue (666 Park Avenue, #1)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Bloodspell (The Cruentus Curse, #1)
  • The Magnolia League (Magnolia League, #1)
  • Capitol Magic
  • Spun By Sorcery (Sugar Maple, #3)
  • Dead Rules
  • The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)
  • After Obsession
  • Witchlanders
  • Petty Magic: Being the Memoirs and Confessions of Miss Evelyn Harbinger, Temptress and Troublemaker
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • The Darkening (The Divided Realms, #2)
  • Archon (The Books of Raziel, #1)
  • Witchstruck (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood (Mercian Trilogy, #1)
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz...

The Beauchamp Family (4 books)
  • Serpent's Kiss (The Beauchamp Family #2)
  • Winds of Salem (The Beauchamp Family, #3)
  • Triple Moon (Summer on East End, #1)
“Death was just the beginning of a journey that everyone took at some point.” 19 likes
“Looking for Narnia? You’re in the wrong universe” 17 likes