Start by marking “Joe and Sparky, Superstars!: Candlewick Sparks” as Want to Read:
Joe and Sparky, Superstars!: Candlewick Sparks

Joe and Sparky, Superstars!: Candlewick Sparks (Joe and Sparky)

The unlikely duo return in a very funny tale of friendship, derring-do, and the discovery that, bold or shy, anyone can become a superstar.

When fun-seeking Joe, a giraffe, takes a reluctant Sparky, a turtle, on a wild ride across the famous cageless zoo to see a mysterious box displaying a talent show, the two decide they must compete to be the next famous pair. But what a
Published March 22nd 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published February 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Joe and Sparky, Superstars!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joe and Sparky, Superstars!

Kim
Mar 15, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Grades K-2

This early chapter book continues the adventures of two friends who are quite different. Joe the giraffe is adventurous, while his turtle friend Sparky likes nothing more than to nap on his warm rock. When they see a talent show on television featuring singing and dancing duos, Joe is determined to help Sparky find his special talent. Sparky is a good sport as he attempts the hokey pokey and tries his hand as a comedian, but starts to feel discouraged when it doesn't appear that he's
Sweet on Books
Mar 29, 2011 Sweet on Books rated it really liked it
Joe the giraffe and Sparky the turtle are best friends living at the zoo, but they couldn't be more different. Joe loves to run and take chances and Sparky is often bellowing, "Safety first!", and waxing on about the need for helmets. One day, on a walk around their cageless zoo, Joe and Sparky spy tiny people through the office window running a talent show. The little people are requesting the next talented pair to come in and audition to be part of the show. What Joe and Sparky are really seei ...more
Kristen
Aug 30, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My daughter grabbed this off the shelf of the chapter books section at the library. So it had 3 chapters. It was a little long for my almost 2 year old daughter. The first two chapters were ok, but by the third she was getting stir crazy.

The story itself was cute - the giraffe and turtle saw the TV on in the zoo office and thought they were real little people. So they search for their talents. The words were pretty simple and there were some small images on each page.

Overall it was a fun book --
Michelle Bradford
Mar 23, 2012 Michelle Bradford rated it it was amazing
Jamie's characterization of these two characters is sure to appeal to children and adults alike. I purchased the last copy (hard cover, yea!) and found my sixteen year old reading it. Thanks Jamie...I just love Joe and Sparky.
Dolly
Nov 19, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a fun beginning chapter book featuring two unlikely pals, a turtle and a giraffe. They make somewhat of an "Odd Couple" kind of pair, with the curmudgeonly turtle who just wants to warm himself on his rock and a fun-loving giraffe who thinks up all kinds of crazy adventures.

The illustrations are great and we immediately noted that the illustrator is Frank Remkiewicz, known to us best for his illustrations for the Froggy series with Jonathan London. The story is fun and it is a good intr
Julie
Aug 09, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
What a great find. A kleptomaniac Giraffe who in the first book steals a car to see the world outside of the Zoo & an OCD safety conscious turtle, who likes to wear a safety helmet and goggles & doesn't like to leave his warm rock make an unlikely duo. My 6 and 7 year olds loved this idea that the the TV was a box with "little people" inside who talked directly to Joe & Sparky. Both loved the cheesy joke telling portion of the talent show and the idea that not everyone is good at eve ...more
Erika Hubler
Aug 23, 2014 Erika Hubler rated it liked it
This book was a bit longer, for a second grad or third grader. It was still easy to read and told a good story of two friends on a journey to find a talent. At the end it showed that just being yourself is all the talent you need and with good friends they will support you. the content and pictures were well done.
Marc Lucke
Aug 29, 2013 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I chuckled my way through this book and found it to be a nice take on the talking-animal-buddies subgenre. It helps to perform Joe the Giraffe in the voice of Patrick Warburton (it totally works, trust me).
Carol Turznik
Aug 27, 2014 Carol Turznik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-book
I bought all the Joe and Sparky books for my little granddaughter, but by far I liked this one the best. I was laughing out loud while reading it! I sure hope this writer/illustrator duo continue this darling series so I can buy more Joe and Sparky books.
The Styling Librarian
Aug 17, 2014 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Joe and Sparky, Superstars! By Jamie Michalak, illustrated by Frank Remkiewicz – Very cute, special friendship with creative interpretation of how to be superstars or at least find a special talent. Quite enjoyed this early reader.
PWRL
Jul 11, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Anna
Really, Candlewick Press? Really?
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Hanno Schwartz
Hanno Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2011
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2017
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Eugene
Eugene rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Kosta
Kosta rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Jana Young
Jana Young rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was ok
May 29, 2014
Jj
Jj rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Jamie Michalak is the author of more than thirty children's books, including the highly praised Joe and Sparky series of early readers and SO YOU WANT TO CATCH BIGFOOT?

When not writing, she can be found racing cars, walking planks, or riding in the Millennium Falcon with her two sons. Jamie was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, and grew up in the same neighborhood where Dr. Seuss once lived. Sh
More about Jamie Michalak...

Joe and Sparky (3 books)