Start by marking “Deposition: Poems” as Want to Read:
Deposition: Poems

Deposition: Poems

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Poet Katie Ford's debut collection, Deposition, confronts God in a language as shifting and ecstatic as divine encounter

This comes out of folklore.
Invented because tenderness at times
must be written in. There was a woman.
There was a cross. But in fact
they have hung him too high
to be touched.—from "A Woman Wipes the Face of Jesus"
Published November 1st 2002 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about Deposition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deposition

John
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
A 2.5

This didn't quite come together for me like the other two collections I read.
Abby
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, mfa-3rd-term
I like the probing and passionate search for divine answers that Ford is on in this book, but I agree with the previous reviewer about her lack of punctuation. It makes the eye move quickly over the page, but it is frustrating that this urgency, used consistently throughout the collection, never leads to anything. While I think this sensation is intentional (what better in a book about the frustrated search for truth than to feel frustrated reading it), I think in some places it felt alientating ...more
Kent
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
At the time this book was published, Ford got a lot of media attention describing her growing up in what I think was some kind of Christian cult. This kind of information can be interesting, but also distracting. Especially in a book like this that doesn't seem as intent on identity poetics. However, when laying that biography over the arc of the book, it reveals an interesting weaving of biography and theology.
Richard
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I find that religiously oriented poems rarely move me and, as a rule, these did not. More tellingly, though, all the poems in the book began to sound the same to me after a while; her syntactical experiments, while interesting to me intellectually, rarely get the language to sing, at least for me; and so they become repetitive, mere habit.
Katy
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Breathless poetry, urgent and dense to the point of obscurity at times. I was saddened to find myself unable to relate to a good portion of the work. The mastery of language and sharp images were astonishing at times, but the actual meaning of a large portion of the poems was often lost on me (and I read A LOT of poetry, so this was frustrating).
Rob
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
baffle and pierce.

"...If you knew anything about fire
you would know winter hardly matters.

And if you knew winter
you would know it
cannot be undone, only
pressed beneath the fields."
Ashley Green
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan (Though this is probably because I didn't like the last breath poems, and there were quite a few of them). She is a very good writer, it is simply that her style is not one I enjoy.
Andrea
May 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
This is a really interesting collection. Very Biblical in theme and tone, but with some sass, which I like. If you like Jorie Graham, I bet you will like Katie Ford.
Brian Wasserman
Jan 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
almost reaches comprehension, written in uneasy and queasy quasi english..some neologisms.. if this was less pretentious and esoteric it could work well
David