Start by marking “The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)

The Candymakers

(The Candymakers #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  21,947 ratings  ·  1,866 reviews
Four children have been chosen to compete in a national competition to find the tastiest confection in the country. Who will invent a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Lightning Chew?

Logan, the Candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by touch alone?

Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds and the color pink?

Daisy, the c
Published October 5th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Candymakers, please sign up.

·  21,947 ratings  ·  1,866 reviews

Start your review of The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)
Vonia
This book reminds me why I always tell fellow readers to give young adult books a chance. The only complaint I have about The Candymakers is due to the fact that these books are unfortunately targeted towards young adult readers rather than adults that are young at heart. (Guess which category I fall into?)

On that note, the only real problems I had were the same reasons this was not targeted to me. The sentences were more concise and simple then I believe necessary for teens; there was a lot mo
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

Do not read this book if you are hungry. Don’t say I didn’t warn you! The Candymakers is a clever middle grade book about four children in a national candy-making contest. Yummy!

The book begins from Logan’s perspective. He actually lives in the candy factory, and his account of things is pretty nuts-and-bolts. Ah, but then the point-of-view changes to the other kids (Miles, Daisy, and Philip). That’s when things really get interesting! With each perspective, I learned something new. I also
Claire Vanderlaan
The Library Lady
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Important note:I got a copy of this at ALA in June, passed it to my 11 year old, and she really enjoyed it. That's a far better recommendation than mine or any other grownups...
This is being compared to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which 5 kids win a contest to tour a magical candy factory. But here 4 kids are at a wonderful but very non-magical candy factory to COMPETE in a contest, and we see the 2 days they spend together in turn from each child's point of view--and each child's voic
Cyn
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."

3.5 stars rounded up

This is my first book by Wendy Mass and WOW, did it get me right in the feels. I had heard a lot about Mass growing up (esp. her book A Mango-Shaped Space) but didn't have a chance to read any of her works. Let me change that now! Aka I'm going to binge this author.

At first glace, The Candymakers seemed like it be a fun, sweet (ba dum tss) little candy-making adventure. It's not. Turn back. This
Rissa Flores
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-review
It's time for the annual candy making competition! At the Life is Sweet candy factory, things are definitely much more exciting. Four 12-year-olds with their own stories to tell: Logan; the Candymaker's son, Daisy; a girl with a huge secret, Miles; an innocent thoughtful boy with a hidden past, and Phillip; a young contestant seeking revenge. As the Confectionary's Association's Annual Convention goes nearer, the contestants find themselves all facing an unlikely turn of events.

A book of un
Luisa Knight
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh. My. Gooey-ness. I'm giving this scrumptious, mysterious tale 3.5 stars! This book was a lot of fun!

Four kids win the opportunity of going to a candy factory for two days and seeing if they can create the next winning candy for the national championship. The kids are all twelve: Logan, Miles, Daisy and Philip. The book is broken into sections, with the story being told from each child's point of view. As their perspectives are revealed, you'll see the friendly tournament go from fun to ... a
Sonya
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Candymakers is a well written book by Wendy Mass.The beginning of this book is retold 4 different times, each for one of the characters perspectives. Logan, Miles, Daisy and Phillip are finally 12, old enough to enter the Candy- making competition, something they've been waiting to enter for a long time. This book is fun, and great for readers with a sweet tooth!
Eva
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

Too many feels. Phillip is my favorite character. Eat candy while you read this book. ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER. I know I'm being incoherent, but I can't even with this book.
Zoejimmy Rollins
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book! A good surprise around every corner. It made me hungry. :)
Mo
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I was worried that it would be too close to Charlie and Chocolate Factory but it's very different. The story is fun and unexpected and the characters are totally loveable.
Destinee Sutton
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 9-12
I picked this up at ALA with much excitement. It was described to me as "Willy Wonka meets Mysterious Benedict Society" and I liked at least one of Wendy Mass's previous books. As I started in on it, I was pleased to find decent jokes, a quick-ish pace, and lots of mouth-watering candy descriptions. The structure of the book is interesting too: Each of the four main characters (Logan, Miles, Daisy, and Philip) narrate separate sections of the book. So after we've read Logan's POV, we go back in ...more
Carolyn
The name made me assume this book would be a light, simple confection. My 10, 8, and 5 year old boys listened to it with me, and we were all pleasantly surprised by it — not only the plot surprises, but it’s depth. For a book I’ve never heard of elsewhere, it is remarkably good. Dare I say better than Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory? Yes, I think so. We finished it a few months ago, and my boys are already asking to hear it again. ...more
Janie Lee
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet and amazing book!
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
Wendy Mass was one of my favorite authors when I was in middle school. This book came out after I left middle school and while I added it to my TBR, for some reason did not get read until now. I mainly listened to this on audiobook but I read the last portion of this in physical form because I really wanted to keep reading! I'm happy to say that this was a fantastic book!

The summary does a great job of summarizing the main
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This made for a fun read aloud to my kids ages four to thirteen. It had a few sweet lessons on friendship, honesty, and being courageous enough to be yourself. My eleven year old wants to read the second book in the series now that she’s familiar with all of the fun characters.
Lilly F.
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about 4 kids, Logan, Miles, Daisy, and Philip. They all enter a candy contest and the winner's candy will be made in a factory and sold! This book makes my mouth water and is just a must read for candy lovers! Great book by Wendy Mass.
Amy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Ella
This book was clever and fun but slow. I forced myself through most of it. I might have liked it more if I were younger. It was imaginative and creative, especially with the 4 different POVs, but the pacing drove me crazy. I liked Daisy and Philip's POVs the best, though it took me several pages to realize Daisy wasn't just recounting a dream, but reality.
I really wanted to like this one, but I couldn't get into it. Logan was a little too perfect. It didn't get interesting until it got crazy...
Wendy Hall
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Haven had been asking me to read this book for many months. She loved it and was sure that I would. I finally got a kindle and it was the first full book I read on it, since it was already on our account. The first section was not what I wanted to read. Think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets Mary Poppins - very heavy on the candy and the adjectives, low on plot content. I threatened to Haven to stop reading numerous times. Heck, I don't even like candy (for real - I don't). She begged me ...more
Max
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Its really great! I recommend it to people who like mystery. :D
kenzie
I've actually read this at least four times, no exaggeration. It's probably my favorite middle grade book ever.
Kelsey Argyle
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a huge competition that kids can enter, in this competition the kids have to create a new kind of candy, if they win they then their candy distributed around the world. 4 of the kids that are in this competition are Logan, the candy makers son, Phillip, who is very rude, miles, who always has a back back with mystery contents, and daisy, who seems hugely happy and bouncy. They meet up at the factory and all of them ,except Logan, despise Phillip immediately. One night they all secretly ...more
Ellie
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
SO I'm basically rereading all the books I own right now lol and I remember loving this book in about 5h grade. I can tell reading it now that it's technically for younger kids (higher elementary, probably) but I still think it's pretty good and doesn't get old! I usually only read Logan and Daisy's parts because Logan's has most of the content and Daisy is just awesome and, yes, I did that and skimmed Miles and Philip, I'm sorry.

I didn't even know until this reading that Philip and Daisy are h
Abigail Smith
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Logan nodded. He knew she was right. But he didn’t have much practice lying to his parents. The one time he’d lied—about doing his homework when he hadn’t—his mom threatened to send him to a real school, with standardized tests! Logan didn’t know what standardized tests were, but he didn’t like the sound of them.”

This may not summarize the book very well, but I read it and laughed out loud!! Probably my favorite quote from the whole book!

I will say, after reading books by Ally Carter, some of
Justine
RTC
Lindsey
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Holy cow. Five stars only because I read it with my baby girl.
Violet Macdonald
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The theme of this book: Don't judge a person before you know his/her whole story.
Danielle
If I had read this in middle school I probably would have rated it 5
Tamsen
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds and the color pink?
Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy like it's a feather?
Or Philip, the suit-and-tie wearing boy who's alway
Dialogue- The Candymakers 2 14 Mar 29, 2016 05:55PM
Dialogue- The Candymakers 3 20 Mar 24, 2016 06:43AM

• Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Land of Stories Collection 4 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-4)
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Because of Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #1)
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves #1)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • Out of My Mind
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Great Library Race (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #3)
  • Savvy (Savvy, #1)
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Mr. Terupt Falls Again (Mr. Terupt, #2)
Wendy Mass is the author of twenty-two novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space, which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award, Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall, the Willow Falls, Space Taxi and Candymakers series. Wendy wrote the storyline for an episode of the television show Monk, entitled ...more

The Candymakers (2 books)
  • The Candymakers and the Great Chocolate Chase (The Candymakers, #2)

News & Interviews

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” 398 likes
“If nothing ever changed, there would be no such things as butterflies.” 152 likes