Start by marking “Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)

Truly, Madly

(Lucy Valentine #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  6,155 ratings  ·  1,060 reviews

Lucy Valentine is as smart as can be, as single as you can get, and so not qualified to run a matchmaking service. But when her parents temporarily step down from the family business, Valentine, Inc., it’s Lucy’s turn to step up and help out—in the name of love.

Plus, her rent is due.

Here’s the problem: Lucy doesn’t have the knack for matchmaking. According to family

Published February 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Truly, Madly, please sign up.
Bisquit
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  6,155 ratings  ·  1,060 reviews

Start your review of Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1)
Vinaya
Everybody who's familiar with my reading patterns knows that I tend to have phases. Like a historical romance phase and a teen paranormal phase and so on... I came across Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series last year, when I was in my fluffy mysteries phase. And I was hooked instantly.

To be fair, although the blurb may make the book out to be complete fluff, it really isn't. Not like, say, Ellen Byerrum's Crimes of Fashion books. The Lucy Valentine books are fun reads, but they're not fluffy.
Arlene
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Goodreads Giveaway Winner!!
I received this advanced reader’s copy (ARC) through a Goodreads giveaway. I was extremely pleased with Heather Webber’s novel Truly, Madly. I finished it fairly quickly, as it’s an engaging read that develops at a steady pace. The characters are likeable, the plot is suspenseful, and the point of view keeps you interested in the main character the entire time.

I liked how the author Heather Webber infuses mysterious events throughout the entire novel, but she doesn’t wait until the final
Laurie Garrison
Captivating and full of humor!!! This was a wonderful read. I have always loved humor, and this page turner hit my humor spot. I would recommend this book for those that loves a good mystery, adventure, humor and a wonderful cast of characters. This book also holds some paranormal aspects, but this is not a romance novel, so there is no HEA or sex.

This is a fun book about Lucy running her family match-making service for a couple of weeks. The thing is Lucy has a touch of physic in her. After
Doreen
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
My earlier note on receiving this book free from Goodreads as part of the First Reads program at bottom.

I really liked this book! For a mystery (and a first mystery,) it was actually suspenseful, and didn't telegraph the ending a third of the way through. As an urban fantasy novel, it was convincing and consistent in its mythology-building, if definitely on the light-hearted side. As a romance, I was SO GRATEFUL that it wasn't your standard virgin-meets-hot-guy-with-issues then promptly has hot
~Tina~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blessed (or cursed) by Cupid, The Valentine family has been given the gift of matchmaking, with the ability to see people's auras. Only Lucy lost this gift at the age of 14 during a thunderstorm and now her powers has been subjected to finding objects rather then the matters of the heart. While her father recovers from a heart attack, Lucy has to keep her fathers company -Valentine Inc- up to float while her parents take a little vaca. Soon enough things start to spiral out of control when Lucy ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
Didn't like Book 1 much but im willing to give this series another go ! :)
graveyardgremlin
TRULY, MADLY is mystery, romance, chick-lit and a bit of paranormal all wrapped up in one delightful little package. Lucy Valentine is a nice, normal, and a little bit quirky protagonist who never got on my nerves. It's nice to have a main character who isn't totally self-absorbed, ditzy, neurotic, clumsy and just plain irritating, basically just about every female you run across in lighter fiction books these days. All the other characters added to the story seamlessly and there wasn't one who ...more
Kate
This book was adorable.

Lucy Valentine is recruited by her father to run Valentine's Inc, a super successful matchmaking service. All the Valentines have the ability to read auras and match people with their soulmates, but Lucy can no longer do that after a freak accident. However, she can find lost objects, instead. It's a light murder-mystery with some paranormal sprinkled in and lots of romance and humor. It's a great chick-lit book and I read it super fast. It was enjoyable and light, which
Kelley Anne
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads, 2010
What a fun, enjoyable book! I received an ARC of this book as part of a first-reads giveaway. I am really glad that I did!

This is the story of Lucy Valentine. She is a girl with a problem! Lucy comes from a long line of matchmakers. The ability to match make is literally in their genes. All of the members of her family can see the colors of people's spirits. Then, they find two people who's spirits match, and presto! You have a match. In fact, their matchmaking business has a 98% success rate.
Vickie
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this SWEEEEET funny book as an ARC from Goodreads and I am so glad I did! It took me a month from receipt to read it. I tend to shy away from romance books, but this one has been getting rave reviews from 'trusted agents' and it had that paranormal and mystery I love so well....I caved (glad I did) and read it rather quickly. I stayed up late to read 'just one more page'! A danger book in that sense.
Wonderfully funny, a little wacky, some hot romance without making me avert my eyes,
Jasmin
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a cozy read
Valentine, Inc. The Trusted and 98% succesful Matchmaking Agency.

Vision
Envisions a future where heartbreaks would have no space on the earth. Where everyone could live in complete harmony. Where everyone is happy and content with their love lives. Where there is no need for annulment and divorce. (Well, that was oddly TOO optimistic for me.)

Mission
Utilizing the use of “matching auras”, we at Valentine’s Inc. make sure that our clients are happy and satisfied and of course, “in love”.

CEO
Danielle
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-arcs
This book was SOOOO GOOD!!! I can't say enough about this book. I just know that Heather Webber should be proud of producing such a product. I live in New York City and oftentimes I read books while on the train (its a skill). However, as I was reading this book on the train I nearly missed my stop!!! I was so entralled by the story and the characters that I was not aware of what was going on around me.

This is a paranormal romance that I would definitely recommend to my friends. Lucy Valentine,
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JG (The Introverted Reader) by: Donna
Lucy Valentine has lost the family ability to match people based on their auras, and can now only find lost objects. After some negative publicity, Lucy finds herself in charge of the family matchmaking business for a few weeks. Not realizing what she's getting herself into, she offers to try to find a new client's lost love, then asks the PI in the upstairs office to help her out. Sparks fly as soon as she walks in the door.

Really, this was a 3.5 star book for me. I'll get my complaints out of
MissSusie
Dec 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lter, reviewed

Lucy hails from a long line of matchmakers known as Valentine Inc. According to family legend, the Valentines have been blessed by Cupid with psychic ability to help couples find true love. Trouble is, Lucy’s powers were zapped away by an electrical surge and now all she can do is find lost objects. What good is that in the matchmaking world?

The Mix of Romance- Mystery & Humor was just the right blend.
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected to after seeing the quote on the back
Jessica
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Plot according to my sister: This book is Sex and the City meets Law and Order (a mediocre episode, not one of the good ones). It is about a "Matchmaker's daughter" who has a special ability (ESP-type thing) and finds herself and the hunky ex-fire fighter turned PI investigating a murder committed years before. She also spends time searching for a missing boy, finding mates for all her friends and rehabilitating injured animals. All in designer jeans and stiletto heels.

Having said all that, It
Marian
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, readit
Truly Madly is a good, quick read. Originally I intended to wait until my days off to attempt reading it, but my "quick peek" pretty much turned into a race to the finish because I didn't want to put the book down. Immediately after I finished it, I wanted the sequel as well as to pass the book off to at least three people I knew who'd love it.

I like LucyD, which is getting harder and harder to say about heroines these days. She's funny and charming, and I can't wait to see what other situations
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
ARC copy

Smart, funny and interesting. It's a weird quirk to the whole 'psychic detective' cozies that I've read before.

Lucy Valentine is the daughter of Oscar Valentine who owns Valentine Inc. They are hugely successful mainly due to their well-kept secret, the ability to read Auras and base matches on that. Unfortunately Lucy was struck by lighting and that power was literally 'zapped' out of here. Instead, she can find items through touch.

All well in good until she's put in charge of the
Ann
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
What a fun book, loved the characters and the story! I usually don't read the end of the book intro to the next book as I would rather wait for the actual book, but I didn't want to stop reading last night when Truly Madly was over.
Bandmama (aka Lucy) - Claiming Mitch as mine
What a great read! Everyone kept telling me I should read this series and now I understand why. It's a great mix of mayhem, mystery, and murder with a little hint of flirt thrown in. LOVED every word of this book. It's well written, and the characters and details are rich.
Candace Davidson
I wasn' t sure if I would like this because I know it is more "romantic" than what I usually read. I liked it a lot and would like to finish the series. I got this as Christmas present.
Melodie
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
REALLY liked this one and can see why so many on the Cozy board have raved about it! Have DEEPLY, DESPERATELY coming up some time next week!
Fedra
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, crime, funny
Cute and funny. It was a much needed easy read!!
Page-turner? Yes!
Chick Lit? Definetly
description
Meet Lucy Valentine, the psychic protagonist that you'll love.

A nice mystery story -kind of predictable but still a great introduction to the series that I will defenetly continue!
Lauren
Truly, Madly
4 Stars

After her father suffers a heart attack, Lucy Valentine is roped into working for the family matchmaking business. Unfortunately, the Cupid-like ability bestowed on all Valentines enabling them to match couples based on their auras was shocked right out of Lucy during an electrical surge. Instead, Lucy possesses the ability to find lost items, which is all well and good until they come attached to dead bodies . . .

A delightful mix of mystery, romance and humor.

The mystery is
Josh
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Well, I just finished the ARC of Truly, Madly I won from Goodreads after receiving it in the mail 2 days ago. And I must say, I'm fairly pleased.

The book is yet another entry in the booming market of "paranormal romance," which most people take as "a vampire sex book." But not so in this case. Lucy Valentine, our sexy blond heroine (running trend, don't you think?), comes from a long line of people who have the ability to see other peoples auras who then match them up with their perfect mates,
The_Book_Queen
During a time when paranormals flood the bookshelves, Heather Webber's Truly, Madly provides a refreshing, and sweet, take on the popular genre-- and one you won't want to miss!

Between the psychic abilities and Cupid's Curse, Truly, Madly has just the right amount of paranormal themes going on. Not too heavy, and with just enough of a tease to make you want the next book to find out what will happen. I'd describe this as a paranormal chick-lit. A bit on the softer side, but just as entertaining,
Chioma
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather Webber combines a great suspence filled mystery, a casual romance, and a spunky main character that had me rooting for her in all aspects of the book!!!

I am not usually a mystery reader, they tend to annoy me a great deal. With all the useless clues, and annoying detectives making annoying deductions, I'd rather stick to CSI, but this book changed my mind. The reason I usually detest mystery and suspence books so much is because I can usually predict the ending from a mile away. But in
Lolly's Library
I like Lucy Valentine, I actually like her. Sure, she's harebrained, but if she weren't, there wouldn't be a story. However, she's also more down-to-earth, more fully developed, more real than most female protagonists in the paranormal romance/cozy mystery genre.

The book had a bit of a rocky start; I think a more judicious hand in the editing department would have benefitted the book greatly as Webber has a tendency to repeat names or information unnecessarily, which created a somewhat
Peace Love and Reviews
My first love in the book genre is the chick lit. They're funny, entertaining and light hearted and it gives me that feeling of falling in love over and over again. My favorites are Louise Bagshawe, Cecelia Ahern, Jennifer Crusie, Libby Street, and Lauren Weisberger and now I have an new addition in the name of Heather Webber, this book is so good I decided to put Cat & Bones on hold, can you imagine?!

I was really excited when I won this ARC at Librarything's Early Reviewer contest. I
Melissa
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first got this book, I was thinking it was a very light paranormal romance type of book. I wasn't completely correct. There was humor in this book, mostly from the main character, Lucy. Her wit which often masked a deep sense of insecurity was very humorous. Add in her friends who often took that wit and strengthened it, the book became enjoyable on that level alone. Oh, and those worried about the insecurity angle... don't worry, it doesn't come off as whiny at all.

There was more than
Around the Year i...: Truly, Madly, by Heather Webber 1 13 Feb 22, 2017 05:10PM

• A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Ghost of a Potion (A Magic Potion Mystery, #3)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery, #2)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
  • A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Better Read Than Dead (Psychic Eye Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • A Vision of Murder (Psychic Eye Mystery, #3)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
Heather Webber, aka Heather Blake, is the author of more than twenty-five novels. She loves to read, drink too much coffee and tea, birdwatch, crochet, and bake. She currently lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and is hard at work on her next book.

Facebook author page:
Heather Webber Facebook

Facebook Bookaholics Group: Heather Blake Webber Bookaholics

Lucy Valentine (5 books)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Undeniably Yours  (Lucy Valentine, #5)
“Tak ada yang lebih buruk daripada iri pada sahabat, atau mengharapka sesuatu yang menurut perasaanmu seharusnya menjadi milikmu.” 2 likes
“Aku juga menyukainya. Terlalu menyukainya sehingga tidak bisa kukatakan.” 1 likes