Start by marking “The Shrouded Way” as Want to Read:
The Shrouded Way

The Shrouded Way

*Original Title - Murder Remote*

For Elizabeth Cranston, it all started when she discovered that the little fishing village of Mourie in the Scottish Highlands was not the peaceful refuge she had expected. A search for sunken treasure off Mourie's beautiful shore had stirred up greed and suspicion and a strange death struck the quiet village. When Elizabeth stumbled across
Published January 1974 by Signet (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Shrouded Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shrouded Way

Start your review of The Shrouded Way
Hannah
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Janet Caird isn't well known in the 1960s/70s gothic novel universe, and in my opinion, two of her other books (In a Glass Darkly and Perturbing Spirit) are pretty dreadful. However, this offering more then makes up for any problems the other two had, and is probably one of my favorite gothics ever.

Within the first 5 pages, The Shrouded Way takes the reader on a harrowing ride along the misty Scottish Highland mountain passes, and into murder. Elizabeth Cranston has left her Peace-Corp-like
Dorcas
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For me, this book has it all.

Its based in Scotland (which I loooove) so you have the atmosphere. Think fog and craggy seaside cliffs, a small village where everyone knows everything about everyone and everything, ha! And throw in an old churchyard, a crazy old woman, itinerant gypsies, lost treasure and sunken ships..
oh and don't forget the old house, a murder or two, kidnapping, cave passages and old wells...

you would THINK that it would all be just TOO MUCH going on but it's not. Somehow, the
SallyB
3.5 stars. It was a quick, delightful read. Heroine had no sense and I sometimes rolled my eyes at her ability to paint herself into a corner and place herself in danger numerous times by her independence. I still enjoyed it.
Tweety
Five stars easy!

Now, how can I review this without giving it all away?

Think Nancy Drew for adults. What can be a better place for a holiday than a visit to her auntie in a remote, lazy town? Elizabeth, is all set for a cozy vacation, until she is just pulling into the outskirts of the village and a deep fog sets in. Stopping by the road side she finds a body of a man with red hair… dead.

Soon she's on the run from a murderer, who's somewhere hidden in the fog, and the worst of it is, it could be
Katrina
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I swithered between three and four stars for this one - and decided to be generous. I enjoyed the beginning and the end but for me it dragged a wee bit in the middle. If you enjoy a Scottish setting and an adventure/mystery then you'll probably like this one.
Daniela
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this since it seemed to be exactly my type of book, but honestly I can't give it more than three stars.

The beginning is very suspenseful and sucks you right in, the plot moves at a fast pace and is relatively unpredictable (for this type of book). The Scottish landscape adds an atmospheric backdrop.

But I think the author tried to put too much into this small volume, and to me it read more like a summary than a fully fleshed out story. Also I had a hard time keeping
The Little Black Cat
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gothic-romance
4.5 Stars. This book is absolutely loaded with action and suspense. Mysterious helicopter sightings, treasure hunts, dead bodies showing up in unexpected places. The heroine is both brave and competent, things I greatly appreciate in a gothic novel. I dropped a half star because there wasn't a great romance. There was a slight love triangle (which I loathe) though this one wasn't present enough to really bother me. The true love interest wasn't really compelling for me and a lot of the trouble ...more
Arabesque
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
The main character was rather annoying and the romance was silly.
Alisha
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Points for well done suspense, but the body count ended up being too high for me. I prefer stories with villains whose bark is worse than their bite, so this story felt pretty bleak to me.
Darla
Jan 05, 2008
Isamar
Dec 17, 2018
Ana Welch
rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2017
Bonnie Seiwell
Mar 07, 2014
Patty
May 24, 2014

• Master and Commander (Aubrey & Maturin, #1)
  • The Lady Of The Labyrinth
  • The Masks of Rome
  • The Ivy Tree
  • The Sea King's Daughter
  • To Catch a Texas Star (Texas Heroes, #3)
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • Watch the Wall, My Darling
  • The Tyburn Waltz (The Tyburn Trilogy, #1)
Janet Hinshaw Caird, nee Kirkwood at Livingstonia, Malawi, married to James Bowman Caird, educationist and author (1919-1989).

Education: MA, English Literature, University of Edinburg, 1935; University of Grenoble and Sorbonne, University of Paris, 1935-36; St George's College, Edinburg, 1935-36.

Membership: Poetry Society, London; Scottish Poetry Library; Asscn of Scottish Literary Studies;