Start by marking “Letters from Cicely” as Want to Read:
Letters from Cicely

Letters from Cicely

CBS TV's Northern Exposure is a hit nationwide--and now, following the success of Pocket's Twin Peaks books, comes Letters from Cicely. It is a candid and insightful look into the world of Cicely, Alaska, where life borders on the eccentric and comforts are scarce. Features personal and private correspondence between the quirky cast of characters from the show. ( Biography ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Pocket (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Cicely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Cicely

Natalie
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a HUGE Northern Exposure fan. As in, 1. I own the entire series and watch re-runs weekly. 2. I have Northern Exposure sweatshirts, clocks on my wall. 3. I have Darren Burroughs on my FB. 4. I plan on attending Moosefest 5. I am going to "Cicely," aka, Rosyln, Washington this summer.

So the reason I'm relating this, is that I would READ ANYTHING about NX, and be biased, I suppose, just thrilled to reunite with the characters.

I'm about half way through the book and FORCING myself to only read
Serendipity Reviews
If you used to love watching Northern Exposure then you will really enjoy this book. Written in epistolary format, you get to read all the letters the familiar residents send out to their families and friends around the world. For two months, the letter writing increased dramatically when the town found themselves continually awake for three months. No tiredness or need for sleep at all; every day running 24 without the hint of a yawn, creating extra time to do all the things they ever wanted to ...more
Victoria
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I have just finished watching the entire Norther Exposure TV series and remembered that I had bought this book back in the 90's, sometime after the show was over. So, what better time than now to go back to Cicely one more time before leaving Joel, Maggie, Ed and Marilyn behind, locked in all their quirky, 90's goodness.

The book is a collection of letters written by the characters from 2/28/199? to 6/7/199?. The people of Cicely AK are no longer in need of sleep due to some sort of sun spot ano
Kellie Ewilson
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was comforting. Like watching the show. I dug it.
Scott
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Just fun.
Lawrence Hall
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Someone who enjoys the wonderful, thoughtful, yes-there-is-intelligent-programming series Northern Exposure will probably enjoy this nice little epistolary novel, but it might not serve a reader unfamiliar with the show. Letters from Cicely appears to have been written as a script, and it would have made a good episode.

A young friend, now an all-grown-up wife, mother, and corporate CPA (What would Ruth-Ann say?), gave me this book when she was at university, along with a Chris-in-the-Morning boo
Lea  Bowski
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been on a bit of a Northern Exposure kick since I got to visit Roslyn, WA where the show was filmed so I decided to dig up my old dvds and re-watch the show. It's a bummer this isn't on Netflix as I think it would do pretty well there but I digress.

Anyway, if you liked the show this book is basically like an episode only in book format. It's told through a series of letters written by the characters ("Jo-el is up in the North Po-el") and is a fun read.

chrisa
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-realism
I really enjoyed this book which is a series of letters written by the inhabitants of Cicely, Alaska, from the TV show "Northern Exposure", when nobody in the town sleeps for months. I thought that the author did a really good job of alternating the voices of the characters and making them sound like individuals, which can be difficult in a book like this. Several times I actually felt like I was watching a lost episode or something, and that was a lot of fun for me. :) It's also nice to know wh ...more
Taksya
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: serie
Una sorta di racconto epistolare che narra una delle solite strane vicende "a la Cicely", tipiche della serie tv.
Per colpa delle radiazioni solari nessuno a Cicely sembra essere in grado di dormire e la vita della cittadina diventa ancor più frenetica e aggressiva, soprattutto quando l'insonnia inizia a mettere tutti contro tutti.
Un resoconto assurdo ma perfettamente credibile - nell'ottica della serie - che può essere apprezzato solo dai fan.
Peccato che sia stato l'unico prodotto.
Kay
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was always a fan of the series and was equally a fan of this book which covers a small phenomena of the town not needing to sleep. The quirky nature of the characters and how they approach the situation was great fun and I really enjoyed the letter format that often gave a different point of view of a single incident. Some mix-ups had me giggle outloud and still make me chuckle now when I think of them.
J.M.
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a story based on the TV series "Northern Exposure." The premise is that, due to Alaska's midnight sun, the residents of Cicely can't sleep and turn to writing letters instead. The letters start off mildly but, as lack of sleep takes its toll, the reader begins to see things fall apart.

For fans of the show, it's a fun read, giving a more in-depth look at the residents of Cicely. I enjoyed it a lot.
Diana Tri Wulandari
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The show was on when I was too young to fully get a grasp of the kind of endearing humor and appeal of this show. But then I read the book, and it just clicked.
It captivates the spirit of northern exposure, if not better, as the essence of the story were not caged by the limitation of time-bound technology of TV.
OK Dad
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Pulled this off the shelf of my teacher/mentors vast collection in our shared classroom. I was a big fan of the series back in the day, and was pleased to learn that Dr. J was as well.
Bobbi Day
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
An okay book but hard to follow because it was written in letters from all the Cicely characters. I do remember the series and could imagine each character as the letter was written.
Jonathanrb
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: why-so-serious
I miss this show. So quirky and well-written.
Yorky Caz
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lovely discovery, i loved the tv series and this has just brought back loads of memories
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, letters
Fun fun fun. I like books of letters, even made-up ones.
Jay