Start by marking “The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change” as Want to Read:
The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change

The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change

The Networked Nonprofit Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change This groundbreaking book shows nonprofits a new way of operating in our increasingly connected world: a networked approach enabled by social technologies, where connections are leveraged to increase impact in effective ways that drive change for the betterment of our society and planet.

"The Networked Nonp
Published June 28th 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published June 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Networked Nonprofit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Networked Nonprofit

Bonnie  Zink
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-reference
Are you interested in exploring the world of social media and making it work for your organization? This is the book for you. Each chapter provides you with a distinct part of an overall plan to become networked and sprinkled with advice that is easy to incorporate into your working model. This is a must read for any nonprofit organization who is up for meeting the challenge of an increasingly networked world.
Ruth Keyes
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
Need to try the updated book, amazing how much becomes irrelevant in just 8 years now. Some good points, but not one I'll refer to a lot.
Raajan Narayanan
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The Networked Nonprofit Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change by Beth Kanter

An essential social media manual for all Non-Profits

I picked up this book as part of a “recommended reading” list for a social media marketing course. I am no social media enthusiast. Prior to the social media introduction in my course, I would not have even explored the worlds beyond facebook. I have been involved with various non-profit organizations in my days. Prior to this book, I would not have even guessed the power social media can grant a non-profit entity. Thanks to the authors, Kante
Bianca Smith
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You're probably wondering why I reviewed a four year old social media book. It's so social media that Randi Zuckberberg wrote the foreword. Why did I review The Networked Nonprofit by Beth Kanter and Allison H Fine? A small part opportunity; a large part curiosity. It's been on my Amazon Wishlist since it was published. OK, maybe I read it because I could and to clear it from my Wishlist. Four years is a long time.

Now we've discovered my reasons were a tad nebulous, what did I think of The Netwo
J.D. Lasica
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
For anyone connected to the nonprofit world, Beth Kanter should be a familiar name. In "The Networked Nonprofit," she and the equally adept Allison Fine approach the daunting task of trying to get notoriously conservative and slow-moving nonprofit organizations to embrace the tenets of the social media revolution. They do so as friendly guides, never scolding or talking down but pointing to the now unmistakable evidence that opening up and engaging with your stakeholders is the only way to go.

F
Marc van Bree
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been an avid fan of Beth Kanter's blog for the past few years. It might come as no surprise that I pre-ordered her, and co-author Allison Fine's, book The Networked Nonprofit. And if you're a reader of their blogs, it might also come as no surprise that the book fully lived up to its great expectations.

It doesn't have the common "social media hippie" talk. You know, the long-haired, world-peace-wishing, tree-hugging, social-media-is-going-to-solve-all-your-problems-and-here-are-the-tools-to
Melissa
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With all the buzz, I was surprised it took me this long to finish this new book (probably because I was stuck in some historical fiction).

As a follower of both Allison's and Beth's blogs, I was excited to see what they would put forth. The first few chapters were good, but included more generalities/theory I've seen before. I took greater value from the last few chapters, which provided case studies, examples and a few how-tos for strategically utilizing social networks to enhance the missions o
Jim
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really strong book for helping nonprofits understand the potential benefits of social networking. Most importantly, I think it introduces nonprofit leaders to the fundamentally different world that is already reality for most young people in America. You can avoid this change in attitudes for the moment, but it's coming whether you want it or not!

It's not aimed at the advanced practitioner who has adopted these social media concepts already and looking for ways to get much b
Moira Clunie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology
i'd been reading beth's blog for a while, it had sparked my thinking, i'd enthusiastically forwarded articles to colleagues and friends. i had high hopes and expectations of this book, but found that for me, unfortunately the content was much more engaging online. the translation to book format left in decontextualised online references (most notably: to content in a sidebar that didn't exist in the print) and didn't introduce enough framework to allow the series of ideas to hang together as a w ...more
Kay Davis
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-marketing
Nonprofit organizations are using social media to establish and maintain relationships with members and spread their organizational messages to potential members and legislators.

The Networked Nonprofit explains how nonprofits can expand their social networks using "conversation starters" such as blogs, YouTube, and Twitter; "collaboration tools" such as wikis and Google groups; and "network builders" such as Facebook and MySpace.

The book points out that Gen Ys, with their interest in advocacy
Samantha McGuire (Mirror Bridge Books)
This book is a pretty simple informative read.. I have been looking for advice books to help me expand Wisdom Web Networking as a whole and this book had some great tips, like how to gain followers, paying attention to statistics and trends on what people are interested in, and building credibility for your network, and bringing the community together through mutual interests and grouping similar people together. Even though this book was geared more towards building a non-profit network and fun ...more
Adam
Mar 20, 2012 added it
This will be very general to most people who live and breathe social/marketing/content strategies day in and day out (put it this way - there's a glossary that includes terms like "crowdsourcing" and "tags"). But for anyone newer to the challenges - or anyone who needs to beef up their advocacy while dealing with a social skeptic - this book offers up a nice, concise array of evidence and actionable tips. It's geared toward nonprofits (obviously), but there are takeaways that are applicable to o ...more
Krystal
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
The more I learn about using social media and networks for businesses and non-profits, the more interested I get. Kanter and Fine, both well-known social media gurus for nonprofits write the perfect introduction for nonprofits looking to get into the new social networks. While I know the basics, it was especially handy to have the reflection questions at the end of each chapter as I get closer to finishing my draft for our social media policy. Highly recommend!
Sidi
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fund-raising, mpa
Got the Ebook from Baruch Lib, and it's required reading in Fund Raising class by Prof. Seltzer.

Social media creates and sustains relationships with full social capital, because of the interactions with social awareness. It's "social", which means civil responsibility and humanistic caring among the community. It is change-maker built on the connections among people, to pursue the "good"--truth, kindness and beauty.
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not just a book about social media, but a guide on how to build and manage an integrated marketing strategy that involves every employee, donor, volunteer and fan. The challenge with a book like this is that it's going to need to be constantly updated; as new as it is, it could already use an update since it references Google Reader!

Everyone who works or volunteers for a nonprofit should read this book.
Janet
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite quotes, "Networked nonprofits are simple and transparent organizations. They are easy for outsiders to get in and insiders to get out. They engage people in shaping and sharing their work in order to raise awareness of social issues, organize communities to provide services, or advocate for legislation... Networked nonprofits don't work harder or longer than other organizations, they work differently."
George
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: non-technical, administrators, people trying to understand social media
A fine book I have been recommending to my non-technical administrative friends as a way to get started thinking about Social Networks and Social Media. These people are in Government in DC and have been giving grants to NGO's for broadband and technology. The Feds can not use many of the tools described in this book in their offices, so hopefully the book might incent them to try the tools at home. BTW I bought 10 copies to make sure people didnt have to wait for their turn.
Rushay Booysen
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a must read for nonprofits.Its filled with compelling valuable information on the approach thats to be taken in using social media to drive change.I stumbled upon this book as a recommendation (yeah yeah i know my algorithm is in check) I came across a number of tweeters who i have noted played a valuable role in furthering the "cause" by their online activity.
Hol
Mar 31, 2013 added it
I’m a fan of Beth Kanter’s blog so was happy to get my hands on this book at last (the library system clearly needs more copies--I had a long wait). It’s a great overview of how social media can spur organizational development, but for nuts-and-bolts advice about integrated marketing for nonprofits, online resources are a better bet.
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
People at work love this book, but for me the information within seemed basic and intuitive. Probably very helpful for people who have limited understanding of social media, but I think I am not the target audience for this one.
Laura Lee Dooley
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you work for a non-profit, give to a non-profit, or want to understand how social media enables you as an individual to support and interact with a non-profit, you need to read this book. Plus Beth Kanter and Alison Fine are awesome.
Rebeka
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it

If you're trying to figure out how Facebook and other social media fits into your agency's mission, this book really breaks it down and gives you concrete action items. It wasn't quite as dry as I thought it'd be either.
Leroy Dodd
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Very insightful for anyone within non-profit sector, especially non-profit management. Beth offers some eye-opening facts about how the world of social media is impacting how social causes are capitalizing from online networking platforms.
Chris
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: npo
Opened my eyes to the fact that I volunteer for a "fortress" and that there are small steps possible to become more open and later a networked nonprofit. Wish I could make the leaders of my NPO read this and act upon it.
Tom Kamei
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, but I feel like The Dragon Fly Effect is a far superior read; understanding the power of Social Networking and crowd sourcing in evoking societal impact can be an exceptionally powerful tool (Just look at Egypt) and definitely worth exploring.
James G.
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
love this book! and I get a shout out in the acknowledgments, which might be one of my life's few accomplishments :)
Alan
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for nonprofit consultants and nonprofit decision-makers alike.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A valuable read for nonprofits today. I agree that the first half of the book is "skimmable" while the second half has some concrete ideas and concepts you can utilize.
Dan
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some useful tips, particularly in the later chapters.
Amanda Mouttaki
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
A must for anyone who works for or with non-profits. For the beginner to the advanced in social media this book is vital!
  • Social Media for Social Good: A How-To Guide for Nonprofits
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits
  • Brandraising: How Nonprofits Raise Visibility and Money Through Smart Communications
  • The Nonprofit Marketing Guide: High-Impact, Low-Cost Ways to Build Support for Your Good Cause
  • The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
  • Give Smart: Philanthropy that Gets Results
  • Open Leadership
  • Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards
  • Be the Solution: How Entrepreneurs and Conscious Capitalists Can Solve All the World's Problems
  • Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
  • Philanthrocapitalism: How the Rich Can Save the World
  • Asking: A 50-Minute Guide to Everything Board Members, Volunteers, and Staff Must Know to Secure the Gift
  • Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity
  • Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World
“Everyone thinks about changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. —Leo Tolstoy” 0 likes