Start by marking “Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories” as Want to Read:

Here is a family guide to classic novels, contemporary fiction, myths and legends, science fiction and fantasy, folktales, Bible stories, picture books, biographies, holiday stories, and many other books that celebrate virtues and values.
Published November 1st 1994 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Books That Build Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Books That Build Character

Jill
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Great reference book to have of many wonderful books that children can read with their parents or as a family throughout their time in our homes. After sixty pages of solid reasoning for what and why in the moral story arena, there are wonderful, detailed summaries of each book as well as being separated into themes and then relisted at the end for easier perusal without any summaries. I used to think I was doing just fine as the children are growing, in teaching them morals and truths, but as t ...more
Paul
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, children
As another reviewer pointed out, the title and subtitle of this book may put people off. But this isn't a book that applies a preachy sort of moralism to the task of building a child's character through literature. Far from it. It's a very valuable guide to books that have, and will, stand the test of time as classics. I discovered many wonderful books through this guide and had a great time reading them to my children. The best children's literature is as satisfying on an adult level as it is f ...more
Joy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all the 'what to read to your children books.' I'm eager to get it circulating for my grandchildren. I made me a book list from recommendations. That will be my next personal reading list. C.S. Lewis believed that "no book worth reading at age ten is not equally worth reading at age fifty." I'll reserve some of the shorter, younger reader books for reading to my grandchildren. The first part of the book talked about the value of good books. There was excellent information. ...more
Carol Mann Agency
From the Publisher

There are more than 300 titles to choose from, each featuring a dramatic story and memorable characters who explore moral ground and the difference between what is right and what is wrong. These books will capture your child's imagination, and
Heather
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book...it's a list of books, broken up into the categories of Picture Books, Fables and Fairy Tales, Myths Legends and Folktales, Sacred Texts, Books for Holidays and Holy Days, Historical Fiction, Contemporary Fiction, Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Biography. Each of these sections is divided into "younger readers" and "middle readers". There is a brief synopsis for each book recommendation. While there are many books out there that provide lists of book recommendations for kids, ...more
BookSweetie
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In spite of the heavy-handed sound of the book's title, this 1994 publication contains a handy annotated list of about 300 books and 20 videos suitable for children of various ages.
The titles are organized into the following categories: Picture Books; Fables and Fairy tales; Myths, Legends, and Folktales; Sacred Texts, Books for Holidays and Holy Days; Historical Fiction; Contemporary Fiction; Fantasy and Science Fiction; and Biography. The book has handy divisions of reading level: younger,
Barbara Radisavljevic
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author reviews more than 300 books, each featuring a dramatic story and memorable characters who explore moral issues and the difference between right and wrong. Entries are arranged by category and reading level, and there is something for every age. When I really want to know what's in a book, this is the reference I use.
Cindi
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book didn't add a whole lot to what I have already read in "The Read-Aloud Handbook" and "Honey for a Child's Heart." In fact, it quotes the other two. It was still a pleasure to read and includes books in its reading list not found in the other two. I also find it interesting when authors have different takes on a particular book (i.e Alice in Wonderland--for younger or older audience)
Christina
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I loved looking through the list and have read a lot of them. The picture books were stories mostly for kids not necessarily of picture book age, but Ava (5) was able to appreciate them a lots of conversation. Definitely worth a look-through for good ideas, but not necessarily a must-own.

Melissa T
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa T by: My Mom
Shelves: nonfiction
Fabulous book! As I read it I kept finding myself saying "Yes! Yes!" as if the author could hear me. Full of great principles and ideas for books for goods--a great reference book. I might have to buy myself a copy.
Joy Rancatore
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book provides parents and teachers with a great resource to aid in assisting children with choosing books that will not only amuse them but also develop their characters and prepare them for the world around them.
Jack Haefner
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The authors give sound advice about how to avoid the narcissistic literature prevalent on today's bookshelves.

From pg 52: "It is far easier to be cynical about the facts of life than it is to invest them with the significance they deserve."
Tanya
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
I have never read a book that was recommended in this book, that I didn't just love. Some of the books were very moving with surprise endings that really threw my kids, but all the books are very thought provoking and offer a lot of food for discussion.
Karen
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom
Read this book a couple of years ago. Re-read/skimmed my highlights. Great reference book!
Wendy
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Booklists alphabetically, by age appropriateness, and genre.

Also has an appendix of good children's movies on video/dvd.
Jackie
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents
Lots of good memories in the list here. Many I read to my kids when we were homeschooling.
Shelley
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Compelling introduction based on facts. Fantastic book list beginning with picture books for youngest readers (ages 4-8).
Jeniann
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschooling
This book has listings for great books for all ages. It lists many of my favorite books that influenced me growing up and lots of others that I'm going to try out now.
Kelly
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
OK. Not thrilled with all the selections.
Gordon Paisley
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
skimmed much of the book detail, but very good list of books to read.
Rita
Sep 01, 2011 added it
I like this book!
Meredith Henning
Very helpful and enjoyable!
Carla Freeman
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Close to my heart. I love the message of bonding as a family through reading great literature. I am still working my way through the book list, but the narrative was inspiring in and of itself.
Rebecca Edmonds
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good guide & resource.
Jan
Great resource. I think I read this in the late '90s but maybe as late as 2005.
Anne Hawn Smith
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference tool, especially for homeschoolers who are making their own curriculum. The trouble is picking from so many books. The books are listed with a review which indicates why they were chosen. The books are some of the best in children's literature. They are listed as to age and general subject in the main part of the book, but are listed with the author in the back of the book so you can print the list or make a checklist.

I have used some of the books for a literature assig
Sam Vanderplas
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great resource for parents and teachers. Most of the space is devoted to lists, synopses, and helpful comments on good books, arranged by type of book and reading level. There is also a delightful section on the moral imagination.
Hope
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for uplifting (though not fluffy) titles.
Jill
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource with thoughtful ideas for finding GOOD books for children and teens.
Jeff
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book really helpful and insightful. Lots of good tips and recommendations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • Tending the Heart of Virtue: How Classic Stories Awaken a Child's Moral Imagination
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • The Read-Aloud Handbook
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning
  • The Improvement of the Mind: A Supplement to Logic: With a Discourse on the Education of Children and Youth
  • Brightest Heaven of Invention: A Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Don’t Think and What We Can Do About It
William Kilpatrick is the author of several books, including Psychological Seduction and Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong. His articles on Islam have appeared in Investor's Business Daily, FrontPage Magazine, Jihad Watch, Catholic World Report, the National Catholic Register, World, and other publications. Professor Kilpatrick, who taught for many years at Boston College, lectures frequently ...more