Start by marking “La Tour de Babylone” as Want to Read:
La Tour de Babylone

La Tour de Babylone

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  25,706 Ratings  ·  3,663 Reviews
A Babylone, la construction de la tour touche à sa fin. On va bientôt atteindre la voûte du ciel et découvrir les secrets de Jéhovah. Une mathématicienne aurait trouvé une démonstration capable de mettre à mal les mathématiques, sa vie de couple... et sa vie, tout court. Le premier contact avec les extraterrestres aura également des répercussions inattendues sur le quotidi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 406 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Gallimard Education (first published July 2002)

To ask other readers questions about La Tour de Babylone, please sign up.

Katie Fellows no tears from me but it certainly impacted me on both an emotional and mental level. There are a few stories in here (ie Hell is the Absence of God,…moreno tears from me but it certainly impacted me on both an emotional and mental level. There are a few stories in here (ie Hell is the Absence of God, Division by Zero, and Story of your Life) that have very emotional ties but for the most part, I would not label it a tear jerker by any means. Still excellent though(less)
Guillermo 1. The Movie is excellent.

1. The Movie is excellent.

2. There are other stories in this book. The stories sort of thread on a common theme, so reading the book can enhance the experience of watching the movie.

3. The story is more consistent than the movie. The movie changed a few things for the benefit of a broad audience appeal, and it loses something in the process. (less)

Cecily
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cecily by: Apatt

Reading is nothing; comprehension is everything”.
Sarah Richards

I read the title short story while away at a conference for technical writers. The quote above came from a presentation about transforming the Government Digital Service, but the issues of communication (context and audience) that are at the heart of this story are key to technical writing and had echoes in many of the presentations. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Ted Chiang is also a technical writer.

Note: This review is just t
Brad
Update: Saturday the 12th, November 2016

I just watched the movie The Arrival and OMG it was amazing. :) :) :)
I cried. Like, a lot. I had chills and sat on the edge of my seat and I was totally engaged.
What's worse? The personal aspects of the movie just blew me away. And even worse? The mental ones were profound and beautiful and amazing. :) I AM SQUEEEING!!!!

Now here's the big question: Am I a fanboy because the movie only improved my appreciation of the original story? Or am I just blown away
Kevin Kelsey
Ted Chiang’s name continually comes up in lists of great short stories. He’s never written a novel, but has won nearly every SF award that exists. 4 Nebulas, 3 Hugos, John W. Campbell, Locus, and on and on. He’s greatly admired among authors and almost entirely unknown by most readers. I’ve heard him referenced as an inspiration by several authors that I enjoy reading. Specifically Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (who collectively write the Expanse series under the pseudonym James S. A. Corey) cite ...more
Apatt
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
"Interfering Gremlin of GR" Alert!
This review was originally of the anthology Stories of Your Life and Others, then recently I wrote a separate review for the individual story "Story of Your Life". Today I woke up to find GR have merged the two reviews. WTF? Now it looks super long-winded! OK, I'd better reorganize this review a bit.
________________________

Review of the novella "Story of Your Life"

Story of Your Life is one of Ted Chiang’s best stories. Ted Chiang is one of the greatest sci-fi sh
Cecily
Ted Chiang is a technical writer in the software industry (as many of the best people are). He occasionally publishes short stories, a remarkably high proportion of which have won major sci-fi awards, including 4 Nebulas and 4 Hugos for only 15 works.

That indicates the quality of what’s within these pages, but may mislead about the genre, content, and style. Some are set in the far past, and the only aliens and space-faring are in the title story, though there is futuristic technology in most. S
Adina
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
3.5* for the 4 stories I read

I am not the number 1 expert or fan of short stories so please take my review with a grain of salt. This is the first SF anthology that I read so I am basically a newbie in this genre. I will review 2-3 stories at the time as I am going through other books at the same time and I would not want to forget what I read.

Tower of Babylon 2.5*
As synopsis the story is about people in the Old Testament reality which are building a tower to heaven and a surprise waits when t
Eh?Eh!
These are amazing, more than 4 stars, and worth propping open on my steering wheel and glancing down to grab up a thought-ful of words at a time on straighaways and gentle curves.*

As far as I can gather, Ted Chiang is an egghead scientist (technical writer?) who attended a fiction writing workshop and began belting out these incredibly well thought out short stories that have much more science than the typical science fiction. He's won enough awards that he once turned down a Hugo nomination for
Joe Valdez
My introduction to the fiction of American author Ted Chiang comes with Stories of Your Life and Others, a 2002 collection of eight hard science fiction short stories published over the previous twelve years. My anticipation was to dust off one tale in particular, "Story of Your Life", the source material for a movie titled Arrival starring Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner that opens in the U.S. two months from the time I'm posting this book report. I dove into the collection due to Chiang's gift for ...more
Kristijan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dok ne sročim nešto o ovoj kolekciji priča, evo mojih ocena:

Vavilonska kula - 4
Razvoj ljudske nauke - 3
Pakao je odsustvo Boga - 5
Voleti ono što vidiš: Dokumentarac - 4

Dakle, prosečna ocena za celu zbirku je: 4,125

Ove tri priče koje su dobile peticu su baš baš baš odlične!!!
Trish
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review once I'm home. For now, let's just say that the final story got me into trouble with some people at the train station. *lol*
...
Now that I've had some time to reflect on all the stories I've listened to in this collection, I can honestly say that not one was bad. Sure, three were rather mediocre, but the others were either at least good or even so exceptional that they made up for the mediocre ones without much effort.

There are 8 short stories in this book:
1) Tower of Babylon
2) Understand
Simeon
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story of Your Life

Told from the perspective of a mother remembering her child. Absolutely heartbreaking. And it was only 50 pages.

The mother, a linguist, is recruited by the government to interpret the language of an alien species, and she adopts a new perception of reality.

Easily one of the best short stories ever written.

The Tower of Babylon

A weird and mysterious way to start the short stories collection. Rewriting legend; as always with Chiang, best prefaced with the words: "Imagine if..."

Un
Pantelis
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A true visionary, in the tradition of Borges...

Whenever I read a famous author's early writings, knowing what is going to follow next, I feel like the linguist in Ted Chiang's "Story of your Life" (I haven't watched "Arrival" yet, but in a way I already have, déjà lu equals déjà vu...)
Stephen
6.0 stars. Simply put, this is the single best collection of short fiction (science fiction or otherwise) that I have ever read. While my personal favorite is "Hell is the Absence of God," each and every story has something memorable, something original and something brilliant to offer. If you have not experienced Mr. Chiang's warmly intelligent and scientific yet emotional prose, then do yourself a favor and IMMEDIATELY go and get a copy of this collection. You will be very glad you did. HIGHES ...more
Matthew
Stories of Your Life and Others is a very interesting collection of stories. I think you really need to be into the “Sci” part of Sci-fi to truly enjoy them; they are thick with scientific terminology and theorems. For me, that reduced my enjoyment of a few of the stories while others had the perfect balance for me.

My favorites were Tower of Babylon, Hell is the Absence of God, and Liking What You See: A Documentary. One story (The Evolution of Human Science) was only 3 pages and, therefore, too
Bil
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophical readers, Black Mirror fans
I opted to read Ted Chiang's award-winning/nominated short stories right after watching Arrival. What I read marveled me with eight unique tales that challenge the norms and tackle big ideas about humanity, religion, and science.

The compilation began with the "Tower of Babylon," a familiar biblical myth set in an alternate Mesopotamia where a tower was built so high it reached the vault of heaven. In "Understand," an experimental drug gives the protagonist omniscient intelligence similar to the
Gwern
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What's there to say about Chiang that all the others don't say? He is the closest thing to a modern Jorge Luis Borges in melding high concepts with literature to create something better than either; in some respects, I'd rank his best short stories as better than Gene Wolfe's (too often tedious & unsolved puzzleboxes). His writing is deceptively excellent: I would call him a writer's writer, because the flat evenness of his prose may strike a reader as boring unless they have tried to write ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collections
I have a very emotional personal connection to this short story collection. It’s intense enough inside my head and unique to my experience, so that even talking about this feels like baring an uncomfortably sensitive part of one’s flesh… It’s like crying in public because you can’t stop, and hoping nobody laughs at you for being soppy when you are, in fact, grieving.

I first read Stories of Your Life and Others in 2014, and I finished it the day before I had surgery. This was a very intense time
Negativni
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Većina ovih priča može se pročitati na internetu, linkovi su na službenoj wikipedija stranici o autoru. U hrvatskom se prijevodu može naći jedino naslovna i to u Siriusu broj 22, dok je na srpski jezik nedavno prevedena cijela kolekcija. O većini ovih priča već sam pisao - linkovi na osvrte su u naslovima pojedinih priča.

Tower of Babylon - ova bi bila mlak početak da nisam prvo pročitao Story of Your Life. Na priču ga je inspirirao prijatelj koji mu je ispričao židovsku verziju mita o Babilons
Brian Yahn
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We think of the world in terms of cause and effect, but in theory we could see things in terms of their purpose. Ted Chiang introduces an alien civilization in a pretty mysterious way that feels a little similar to Sphere by Michael Crichton.

It appears these aliens are acting to maximize the purpose of the universe, to make it come to the most beautiful end it possibly could. And the story kind of makes you feel like you're a part of it. It's pretty awesome.
j
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: totes
Recommended to j by: blogs
When I tell people I don't like short stories (and really, I don't), what I mean is that I don't like literary short stories that offer us, say, a snapshot of someone's rather normal life, and wow, look at the way this small scene profoundly illuminates a larger wholBORING.

It turns out I do like short sci-fi, though. I think this is probably because sci-fi is naturally more focused on outlandish ideas that can be nicely explored within the limited scope of a short story -- wouldn't-it-be-neat no
Kristal Kitap
Vee bitti. Çok sevdim, çok sevdim. Özellikle "Anlamak" hikayesine bayıldım. Keşke filmi çekilse! Her şey algı kapasitemiz dahilinde olsa ne olurdu? "Her şeyi çözümleyebilsek; evrendeki her varlığın, en ufak noktacığın bile başka bir etmenle bağlantısı olduğunu anlayabilsek; beynimizin bile nasıl çalıştığını görebilsek, nasıl olurdu?" sorusunun bir cevabıydı sanki.

Öyle çok aman aman Bilim Kurgu okuyucusu değilim belki de ondan böylesi bi haz aldım Geliş'ten bilemiyorum. Kısa kısa hikayeler içimd
somuchreading
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-now
Πως γίνεται ένας σημαντικός συγγραφέας της λογοτεχνίας να λογίζεται σαν τέτοιος γράφοντας απλά, στα 27 χρόνια της πορείας του μέχρι σήμερα, να έχει γράψει μόνο 14 διηγήματα και 1 νουβέλα; Αμ έλα που γίνεται.

Ο Ted Chiang ενδιαφέρεται για την ανθρώπινη κατάσταση και την ανθρώπινη εμπειρία, για τη γλώσσα, για τους φυσικούς νόμους. Στρίβει το πλαίσιο του είδους της επιστημονικής φαντασίας και φέρνει τα μέσα έξω, για να δοκιμάσει πάνω μας με αυτόν τον τρόπο [πειράζοντας δηλαδή τις προσδοκίες μας από
Rob
May 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No accounting for taste especially your own.
This book has had rave reviews and not from the usual sources. It has won a few well regarded awards. And I hated it.
The overall writing style I found to be flat. The characterisation was awful. Has this author ever met another human and talked to them? It has the same warmth as an IT support manual.
Quite a bit of science fiction is not exactly literary but it more than makes up for it by exploring ideas. This collection of short stories had ideas but
Stuart
Stories of Your Life and Others: Sadly I couldn’t connect with these stories
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
This is one of books that receives such universal praise and accolades from readers, critics, and award committees that it represents a real risk for a book reviewer. After all, if you love the book, you’re merely contributing to the overwhelming chorus of praise and not really adding much to the discussion, but at least you are “on the same page” as everyone. The alternative is m
LeAnne
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If it were not for the recently released movie entitled Arrival, my faith in the appeal of sci-fi writing would still be agnostic at best. But today? Baby, I'm a believer!

NO SPOILERS Ted Chiang is the man. Brilliant science, mind bending math, psychological intrigue, and love are melded in his work. Im embarrassed to not only have not read anything by him before but not to have ever even heard his name! Yeah - time to break out of my comfortable genres and find beauty in other places.

So, have y
Michelle M
This was originally printed as "Story of Your Life and Other Stories," this copy was the movie tie-in for "Arrival" though.

A collection of gorgeous, smart, and quiet stories. It came into my awareness because of the movie, so I'll start there. The adaptation to film was very well done, it really captured the tone of the story, of the whole collection. Thoughtful, intelligent, musing. The kind of stories where you put the book down and just think.

"Story of Your Life" has to do with an alien fir
Stevie Kincade
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, audiobooks
Can I just say holy hot goddamn is Arrival an awesome movie! I always feel massively let down by SF movies as the 90 minute format with explosions and lasers rarely leaves room for the big concepts and character development I love in the written form. The last spectacular SF movie was...Cloud Atlas I think? So I will say this a top 2 SF movie of the last 10 years. This is a MUST SEE if you love good SF and if you haven't read the book first - don't! I normally always want to read the book first ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Ted Chiang is a brilliant storyteller, and this set chronicles his first decade or so of stories, including the first story he ever wrote ("Tower of Babylon," the one that went on to win a bunch of awards.)

What I like about Chiang is that he isn't afraid to include all the science and math that made him want to explore a concept to begin with. I like knowing that the stories come from research and thinking, not just inside his head. Something in me as a reader connects to that.

My favorites:

"Unde
Jokoloyo
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read book for Science Fiction (SF) fans. For people who don't like SF, please kindly try to read this short-story collection before commit not to read any SF story.

A pure serendipity for me. I bought this book on a closing bookshop sale, and it was my best-buy from that sale event. I admit, I had no big expectation when I put in my basket. I hadn't aware with the author and I didn't believe at that time the list of awards of the stories that included on this book.
Sharon
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Chiang puts the SCIENCE in science fiction.

These stories are not for everyone; Chiang is 40 percent science, 40 percent philosophy, and 20 percent "story" a good portion of the time. Other times, he's all heart.

This collection was akin to enjoying a box of Godivas: quality, and to be savored and examined, perhaps even with the help of a cheat sheet:

Tower of Babylon: The first story in the collection, this immediately piqued my interest, and didn't disappoint: The tower of Babylon reaches th
  • Axiomatic
  • At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories
  • Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Mount
Ted Chiang is an American speculative fiction writer. His Chinese name is Chiang Feng-nan. He graduated from Brown University with a Computer Science degree. He currently works as a technical writer in the software industry and resides in Bellevue, near Seattle, Washington. He is a graduate of the noted Clarion Writers Workshop (1989).

Although not a prolific author, having published only eleven sh
More about Ted Chiang...

“My message to you is this: pretend that you have free will. It's essential that you behave as if your decisions matter, even though you know they don't. The reality isn't important: what's important is your belief, and believing the lie is the only way to avoid a waking coma. Civilization now depends on self-deception. Perhaps it always has.” 22 likes
“Freedom isn't an illusion; it's perfectly real in the context of sequential consciousness. Within the context of simultaneous consciousness, freedom is not meaningful, but neither is coercion; it's simply a different context, no more or less valid than the other. It's like that famous optical illusion, the drawing of either an elegant young woman, face turned away from the viewer, or a wart-nosed crone, chin tucked down on her chest. There's no “correct” interpretation; both are equally valid. But you can't see both at the same time.

“Similarly, knowledge of the future was incompatible with free will. What made it possible for me to exercise freedom of choice also made it impossible for me to know the future. Conversely, now that I know the future, I would never act contrary to that future, including telling others what I know: those who know the future don't talk about it. Those who've read the Book of Ages never admit to it.”
22 likes