Start by marking “Times of Contempt (The Witcher Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Times of Contempt

Andrzej Sapkowski

Times of Contempt (Saga o Wiedźminie #4)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  24,562 Ratings  ·  643 Reviews
Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ...but he is far more than just a striking-looking man. He's a witcher; his sorcerous powers, enhanced by elixirs and long training, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer; his targets are the vile f ...more
Published April 2011 (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Times of Contempt, please sign up.

Sean McGrath You should start with The Last Wish, which introduces the character. The 'short story' description is misleading, as it consists of a frame-story…moreYou should start with The Last Wish, which introduces the character. The 'short story' description is misleading, as it consists of a frame-story interspersed with flashbacks to formative past events. Sword of Destiny is out as an ebook and only comes out in paperback in December, unfortunately (in the US). If you just wanted to read the main saga, you would start with Blood of Elves, but I really recommend starting with The Last Wish.(less)

Evgeny
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The person everybody was searching for in the previous book was still at large with Geralt being one of the two people who could guess the whereabouts.
Dead or Alive
This means everybody was still conducting the search, but this time it became clear that the aim was to make sure the person in question is really dead just like the rumors started by Geralt stated. As we all know sometimes little people can get in the way of movers and the shakers of the world and make them very much inconvenienced by just being
Sr3yas
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If A Game of Thrones books were penned by Andrzej Sapkowski, he would've written a whole installment on Red Wedding.
Joey Woolfardis
I am odds with this series. The Last Wish is a million miles away from what these have become, which is just generic fantasy that is badly written (or translated). In The Last Wish we have good battles with monsters, re-tellings of our own fairytales and interesting characters. In this series, which is made up of what are supposed to be full-length books, we have absolutely none of that and it's very disappointing.

The dialogue is the worst thing of all. There is an abysmal attempt at humour, and
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/09/a...

For the first time ever, the English translations of the novels in Andrzej Sapkowski’s The Witcher Saga series are being made into audiobooks, and I have been enjoying them immensely. Thus far, four Witcher books have been published in this format, including the short story collection The Last Wish. Today I’ll be reviewing The Time of Contempt, the second full-length novel in the sequence.

The story beings where Blood of El
Mili
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Finally, sorry but this was nottttttttt my type of plot. I mean...Ciri her storyline is great but the rest ( and it was mostly the rest ) was so boring. Soooo political, too many names and I just dont know who is screwing who. So sadly I got detached from the plot.

Putting this series on a break till I get back from vacation. I still feel a connection with the main plot, I looove the witcher concept and all the wizards. But I need less politics...
Daniorte
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuando se compara Gerarlt con Canción de Hielo y Fuego hay una conversación del libro que ejemplifica muy bien la diferencia:

"-En el escudo, un pez de plata y corona alternado sobre campo cuarteado de azul y gules
- Que le den a la heráldica, Fenn. El rey ¿Quién es el rey allí?"

Así es, mientras G.R.R. Martin dedica páginas y páginas a heráldicas y casas reales, en la saga del brujo van al grano, se dejan de pajas y lo hace rápido. Si se huele guerra no hay que esperar 500 páginas, la batalla suce
Celise
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I feel like doing a super informal review for this one, just because this writer makes me feel so many feelings and The Witcher is on the fast-track to becoming my favourite series so quickly that I don't know how to put my thoughts into presentable order. So here's a bunch of words for you, and a few run-on sentences most likely. It's not gushy, I promise, just ineloquent. My review of The Blood of Elves is probably a better recommendation of the series.

Ciri, Geralt, and Yennefer are some of my
Alex
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Apparently these books are rather big in Poland. I know this because a Polish woman told me so. Apparently there are some rather successful videogames that have been based on these books. I know this because I've played one of them. It was good.

Clearly these books have never been that big in the West, they haven't even all been translated yet and they were written in the early 90s, and it makes you doubt what's going on in the fantasy book publishing world. It makes you wonder if there's a profo
Thomas
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-in-2017
Βαθμολογία: ★★★★

Ακόμη ένα πολύ καλό βιβλίο της σάγκας του Witcher Geralt (ή μήπως καλύτερα της Ciri;) που έφτασε στο τέλος του. Ο χαμός που προμήνυε το προηγούμενο βιβλίο συνέβη σε αυτό και δεν είναι και πολύ ευχάριστα τα νέα. Το «Time of Contempt» έχει ως κεντρικό άξονα μια συνάθροιση μάγων στο νησί Thanedd, η οποία συμβαίνει στα μέσα του βιβλίου. Όπως είναι φυσικό, τίποτε δεν κύλησε ομαλά. Χωρίς να αναφέρω spoilers, ο Sapkowski ασχολείται κυρίως με την πολιτική ενός κόσμου που αρχίζει να καίγε
Nikola Pavlovic
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serijal postaje sve bolji. Radnja konacno krece da se povezuje na pravi nacin.
Jos jedna knjiga i stizete do vrhunca serijala.
Kenchiin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is explosive and I can't wait to read the next one!
Jeraviz
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Los primeros cuatro capítulos son la mejor fantasía que he leído en mucho, mucho tiempo. La gente que está comenzando a escribir (y los que llevan mucho también), deberían de estudiarse este libro. Es el mejor ejemplo de cómo, con diálogos, se puede construir un mundo sin necesidad de meter con calzador párrafos y párrafos de información. Durante decenas de páginas lo único que hay son diálogos entre todos los personajes que han ido apareciendo en los tres libros anteriores, y a través de estas ...more
Nerdsfeather
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometime in the 1990s, fantasy's center of gravity shifted. Simple heroism (and anti-heroism) were out, along with magical trinkets, gallant knights, noble savages, evil gods, prophesied chosen ones, elves, dwarves, dragons and most other mainstays of both the neo-Tolkeinic and sword & sorcery questing traditions. Moral ambiguity, violence, greed, vice, corruption and, above all, politics reigned in their stead.

The gritty revolution was, and remains, a reaction to all the ridiculous tropes a
Jack
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The political intrigue turns up a notch in this second full-length Witcher novel. Geralt is only in a small portion of the book, but the other characters—particular Ciri—are strong enough to carry the tale. It is an entertaining and fast moving book. Sapkowski is highly skilled at writing dialogue and crafting and refining his characters with their words.

The only bump in the road was an interminable meeting of a group of sorcerers and sorceresses, which was essentially a few dozen pages of loud
Reg
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Disappointing.

What I like about the Witcher/Sapkowski books - particularly Last Wish - is the moral ambiguity of it all. Geralt hunts monsters but he doesn't do it thoughtlessly and he will admit that the monsters are in fact endangered species that he is helping along the path to extinction. Geralt, the mutant, is the exception, the noble savage giving contrast to the rest of rude humanity who are terrible, ignorant racists toward the elves, dwarves etc, who, in turn, don't help their case by
Mizuki
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First thoughts after finished reading:I don't want to judge too quickly, so I'll only rate this book after I finish reading its prequel (which is waiting for me in the library).

Still, I need to rant about a certain character: Ciri. I know, she is only a 14 years old girl in this book and teenagers aren't supposed to be mature and considerate and I know her parents and grandmother were killed when she was just a kid and she still has nightmares over the whole traumatic experiences and all, BUT sh
Mari
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

I'm kind of let down by this book and that is a shame because I feel like I've been talking so much about these characters and this premise, all for it to lead to this disappointing spot.

A list of complaints:

- The first two books were great for what they presented: Geralt, the morally ambiguous, fighting all kinds of monsters and also coming across all kinds of monstrous people. This is straying very, very far away from that, to the point where there is nary a monster in sight.

- Not e
Mark Halse
I wasn't crazy about this installment. The cleverness and charm of the short stories is all but dead in this second novel.

The first half of the book was awesome. Action packed with Geralt leading the story. Then Geralt is severely injured and exiles himself to Brokilon.

From here we receive another muddled up middle where Dandelion t finds Geralt and tells him what's going on in the outside world. We experience Dandelion's story through quickly changing POVs instead of having a dialogue explaini
Marquise
Mmm... I'm unhappy with certain turns of events in this volume that are highly problematic, and I'm starting to notice a sharper decline in storytelling and more scattering of plotlines, character arcs, and a leaking structure that are making me more convinced that this series would've worked better as short stories or novellas. The quality remains high in certain parts and the vignettes style of telling the story helps with this, but it also makes other plots look worse and superfluous.

Still,
Austra
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
Šī grāmata bija baisa vilšanās, salīdzinot ar pirmo daļu, un gandrīz dabūja no manis tikai 2 zvaigznes. Varbūt mana vaina, ka nelasu sēriju secīgi, bet tas tāpat neizskaidro, kāpēc ir vajadzīgi tie nejēdzīgi garie un garlaicīgie apraksti (burvekļu saiets un vienas čiepiņas klīšana uz riņķi pa tuksnesi) uz 40-50 lappusēm. Un tad pēkšņi atkal ir labi uzrakstīta nodaļa un aizraujoši notikumi, un tad es sāku domāt - vai šo grāmatu rakstīja divas dažādas personas? Ak jā, un seksa ainas šim autoram no ...more
Leo Reich
мεgяεร.
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vladimir Vázquez
A medida que la intriga política y la guerra avanzan en la historia, Geralt, es cada vez menos el protagonista. Si en el libro anterior veíamos como la historia se orientaba mas hacia Ciri, en este libro esto es mas acentuado.

Ahora entiendo cuando leía que esta novela era una fantasía mas madura, pero ¿eso significa que se abandona al héroe con la espada para favorecer la intriga política? No sé si me guste ese cambio.

Pero no voy a decir que Geralt no ve acción, sí tiene su cuota, y una cuota mu
Anirudh
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Time of Contempt, second installment in the Witcher Saga continues the story of Witcher and the child surprise. The focus shifts from the witcher to Ciri and Yennefer as politics and magic seep into the story and changes the stakes drastically.

As always it is a pleasure to read about Geralt of Rivia even though he does not do much in this novel. Instead the readers are introduced to the Council of mages and Yennefer's role. The plot is very entertaining and full of twists. As always witcher'
Uve
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasía, 2016
En sus primeros capítulos la trama gira en torno a la joven Ciri, que con el paso de la historia ha conseguido mayor protagonismo. Geralt y Yennefer se dedican a velar por la seguridad de la princesa, manteniéndola oculta de todos los que la ven como un simple obstáculo en su posición de poder.

Entrada completa: http://miradasenlatadas.blogspot.com....
Marie
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The parts with Ciris point of view are exceptionally brilliant. I feel sorry for Geralt and Yennefer, they really had hope of starting their own little family for a minute there. It's a beautiful heart-breakingly amazing love-story. Makes me want to start reading the next book right this second. On a related note, that's exactly what I'm going to do now.
Bogdan
Ohhh...Wow! This is the second one that I read after The Last Wish book.

I didn`t expected but a story from the Last Wish has a connection here but it isn`t really such a big deal...

Anyway I must warn you that you will need to read the next book in row because this one doesn`t finish the story...

The main thing here is a total war between a lot of kingdoms and you could be a little bored with a lot of names but we have a second story, too, and this will make up for the initial avalanche of details
Sara
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anche questo volume della serie non ha una fine quindi riconfermo la teoria secondo la quale ogni libro è solo un pezzetto di una storia unica. Spero almeno che l'ultimo libro (La signora del lago) abbia una conclusione altrimenti mi arrabbio >_<
Proseguono le avventure, o meglio disavventure, di Geralt, Ciri e Yennefer sullo sfondo di una guerra e intrighi politici e altrettanto prosegue il mio apprezzamento per questa serie e per i personaggi.
Se devo trovare un neo a questo libro è il mod
Thomas Stacey
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating - 4.25 stars

Another very solid offering. The plot thickens and the world of the Witcher continues to expand. Really looking forward to Baptism of Fire, where everything is bound to kick off.

Geralt and Ciri remain my favourite characters by far. Ciri especially had to step up after being left to fend for herself, and got a taste of just how cruel the world can be. Getting a definite Arya Stark vibe from her (which is a very good thing!).

Great series so far and highly recommended.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
As far as the Witcher books go, The Time of Contempt isn't in my top three favourites. I much preferred Blood of Elves and The Sword of Destiny, but overall, it was a great continuation to the story.

Much like the previous three books, the first half is very political: there is war, there are monsters (both human and supernatural) and there's the rumour that Ciri, daughter of the Lion of Cintra, is dead. A rumour started and smartly spread by Geralt himself, in order to protect Ciri, the "chosen
Nisa's Book Club: Book Club #8 - Witcher Time of Contempt 1 9 Jun 18, 2017 12:43AM
Has Goodreads screwed up the order of the series? 2 87 Jan 15, 2015 08:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong name 2 17 Apr 25, 2014 10:10AM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1
  • Młot na czarownice (Mordimer Madderdin, #2)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Limes inferior
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #1)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Pan Wołodyjowski
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

Saga o Wiedźminie (8 books)
  • Sezon burz (Saga o Wiedźminie, #0.5)
  • The Last Wish
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
“Why didn't you become a sorcerer, Geralt? Weren't you ever attracted by the Art? Be honest.'
'I will. I was.'
'Why, then, didn't you follow the voice of that attraction?'
'I decided it would be wiser to follow the voice of good sense.'
'Meaning?'
'Years of practice in the witcher's trade have taught me not to bite off more than I can chew. Do you know, Vilgefortz, I once knew a dwarf, who, as a child, dreamed of being an elf. What do you think; would he have become one had he followed the voice of attraction?”
30 likes
“Hmm…’ Ciri bit her lower lip, then leaned over and put her eye closer to the hole. ‘Madam Yennefer is standing by a willow… She’s plucking leaves and playing with her star. She isn’t saying anything and isn’t even looking at Geralt… And Geralt’s standing beside her. He’s looking down and he’s saying something. No, he isn’t. Oh, he’s pulling a face… What a strange expression…’ ‘Childishly simple,’ said Dandelion, finding an apple in the grass, wiping it on his trousers and examining it critically. ‘He’s asking her to forgive him for his various foolish words and deeds. He’s apologising to her for his impatience, for his lack of faith and hope, for his obstinacy, doggedness. For his sulking and posing; which are unworthy of a man. He’s apologising to her for things he didn’t understand and for things he hadn’t wanted to understand—’ ‘That’s the falsest lie!’ said Ciri, straightening up and tossing the fringe away from her forehead with a sudden movement. ‘You’re making it all up!’ ‘He’s apologising for things he’s only now understood,’ said Dandelion, staring at the sky, and he began to speak with the rhythm of a balladeer. ‘For what he’d like to understand, but is afraid he won’t have time for… And for what he will never understand. He’s apologising and asking for forgiveness… Hmm, hmm… Meaning, conscience, destiny? Everything’s so bloody banal…’ ‘That’s not true!’ Ciri stamped. ‘Geralt isn’t saying anything like that! He’s not even speaking. I saw for myself. He’s standing with her and saying nothing…’ ‘That’s the role of poetry, Ciri. To say what others cannot utter.’ ‘It’s a stupid role. And you’re making everything up!’ ‘That is also the role of poetry. Hey, I hear some raised voices coming from the pond. Have a quick look, and see what’s happening there.’ ‘Geralt,’ said Ciri, putting her eye once more to the hole in the wall, ‘is standing with his head bowed. And Yennefer’s yelling at him. She’s screaming and waving her arms. Oh dear… What can it mean?’ ‘It’s childishly simple.’ Dandelion stared at the clouds scudding across the sky. ‘Now she’s saying sorry to him.” 25 likes