Start by marking “What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The director of Canyon Ranch's award-winning Life Enhancement Program draws on the latest discoveries in psychology and gender-specific medicine to help all women enjoy richer, healthier, more fulfilling lives.

In this innovative book about what brings women happiness, Dr. Dan Baker focuses on the five traps that can compromise happiness and leave women yearning for a bette
Published May 15th 2007 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about What Happy Women Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happy Women Know

Mar 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a shallow book that doesn't really bring anything new to the self-help table, despite the "new findings in positive psychology" subtitle. It was as well-researched as a magazine article, and mostly relied on a handful of anecdotes. Basically, if I can sum up the book for you, "Its how you deal with the cards your dealt".

The book trots out some tried and true maxims on having the right attitude and growing old gracefully, all stuff that its worth reminding oneself, however, the positive
Jeanette Johnson
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-self-help
Take home lessons for me included my identity vs. my job; revenge is a car stuck in the mud; if loving someone is +20 and hating someone is -20, it would still take energy to hate someone, so let them go and put them at 0; every decision is an experiment; happy women are never alone because they don't abasing themselves; your brain isn't wires to think both positively and negatively at the same time, so thinking positively at any time automatically makes you a happier person...
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another book my psychologist suggested I read. Very insightful I saw myself in many of these pages and more importantly learned that happiness is something we think we have with every material possession we gain with every kilo we loose or for the more money we gain but true happiness comes within ourselves and being at peace with ourselves and learning to stand on our own two feet and being our own person
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reminds me to play to my strengths not wallow in my weaknesses!
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Some general tips and inspiration on how to be happy and what happy women do. A library book.
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kendra Kettelhut
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
When I started this I felt like, I am a pretty happy person, what is this book really going to tell me. Well, even if I felt like a lot of the information was familiar it is always good to have reinforcement. I definitely do not practice all of the things that they recommend... I felt that the book really does a good job of breaking down triggers and traps for what can bring people down and how to avoid these. I think that pretty much any woman could benefit from this book, some more than others ...more
This book displayed the touching life stories of women who have made lemonade out of the lemons that life has handed then. However, the book did not bring any new ground breaking ideas to the table. Instead, it merely stated the obvious: think positive, be proactive, believe in yourself and so on.

The most annoying thing about the book are the underlying values Dr. Baker is pushing to the reader: a woman should have a husband and children and preferably be a stay-at-home mom. Apparently a woman c
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've just started reading this one and like it already. The author is very clear from the get-go that hashing up past hurts does very little to help us live a better life. It's about focusing on good things, retraining our minds to see what is right in our lives instead of hunting for flaws all the time, that will bring about positive change not only for us, but for people around us. I'll review this one more completely when I'm done.

As a psych major, it is refreshing to read a professional dis
Kathy Maggiacomo
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I think this book can me summed up by reading just the sections that the author writes between two solid lines throughout the chapters. He is nice enough to put them all together in a few pages at the end so definitely read that part. I liked the book because it did have some practical advice but I was a bit bored reading some of the stories he uses to get to the point. Plus, as I was reading it , it just sounds sooooo like a man that I found it funny that he was giving advice about what happy w ...more
Deborah Tait
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
A book that I think most women would benefit from. It is clear, concise yet not the typical 'self-help' book. It includes stories, though not too deep or long, thank you, that help the reader relate to women around the world who try to be 'perfect'. A great read for the perfectionist woman who needs a little advice on how to love herself more, and therefore find some happiness that may not have yet been acquired in life.
Debbie Okrainetz
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book--the only reason I did not give it a 5 was because it was not quite what I wanted at this point in time. However, it was very well written and had some very straightforward points about staying happy: "Don't envy what someone else has. Be grateful for what you have. Don't look at someone else and say, "Oh my God, that house, that car," because you don't know what's inside there." How true! Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book, to be read and meditated on in small doses. Lots of interesting stories about women who know how to be happy despite having had circumstances which could have affected them otherwise. I especially liked the centenarian section and the ten things happy women know section. A good read for any woman, any age, trying to bring more happiness into her life.
Nicole Vital
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think this book hits the nail on the head with the struggles that women wrestle with in order to be happy. THis book provided me with the opportunity to look at myself and decide what things I can and could do to make myself happier. This book is perfect especially in the highly negative world we can live in you just need to find the beauty in it!
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. I talks about the things that women believe or have been taught to believe that are wrong and make us unhappy. But it also gives help in how to change that thinking and allow ourselves to be happy.
Jackson Matthews
Aug 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Some good ideas. I am looking for good ways as shields to protect us when we go back to work. It reminds me of reading diet books, though -- one pretty much knows what to do, it is just the getting down and doing it that is the tough thing.
Feb 24, 2009 is currently reading it
In the beginning I got it. Now it's pissing me off. I kind of cheated and skipped to chapter 11, and still I'm feeling confusesd. I think it could possibl turn out pretty well...we shall see
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very uplifting in a time when I needed it!
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A good scientific read (based on brain research)for why some women are happier than others. Pretty much if you are going to have a pity party for yourself, keep it short!
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another great advice book. He is inspiring without being a "know-it-all". Makes me want to go to the Canyon Ranch.
May 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Some helpful suggestions
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I learned about Martin Seligman's grad work at UPENN and how it has contributed to the field of Positive psychology today.
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To my ladies, check it out :)
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good, solid, clear summary of the basics that make our lives happy and fulfilling. Not groundbreaking, so so what? They have put it together in an accessible volume. I say, thanks!
Crista Colvin
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Stephanie Durso and Dina Stella
Somewhat sexist and paternalistic but found myself wanting to continue reading it.
Anita Smith
One of the best books I have ever read.... positive psychology rocks!!!!
Nov 19, 2017
Jul 13, 2013
Katya SilverFire
Sep 26, 2017
  • Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Letters to a Bullied Girl: Messages of Healing and Hope
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • I'd Rather Laugh: How to be Happy Even When Life Has Other Plans forYou
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Creating a Charmed Life: Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • Quiet Mind: One Minute Retreats from a Busy World
  • Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal With People Who Try to Control You
  • More Hours in My Day
  • Meeting at the Crossroads
  • Tranquilista: Mastering the Art of Enlightened Work and Mindful Play
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog (Original Dog Bible: The Definitive Source for All Things Dog)
  • Become Who You Were Born to Be: We All Have a Gift. . . . Have You Discovered Yours?
  • Unconditional Life: Discovering the Power to Fulfill Your Dreams
  • Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses?