Start by marking “John Newton” as Want to Read:
John Newton

John Newton

(Heroes of the Faith)

Amidst the millions of committed Christians in each generation, a handful rise to special prominence. Learn more about their exciting and inspiring lives in Barbour's "Heroes of the Faith" series.While his ministry was popular, his gift for hymn writing would be more enduring as he became author of "Amazing Grace".
Published February 1st 1996 by Barbour Publishing

To ask other readers questions about John Newton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Newton

Zane Jones
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
~3.5 stars~
Don't get me wrong. I love the story of John Newton. But honestly, the writing style was kind of annoying and... I don't know. I didn't love it.
Karen
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom
Reading for myself first because I can already tell that this may be a book for my kids when they are teenagers due to the talk of cursing and women, etc. They do know who he is now but I think the details can wait a bit until they are older. That said, I am looking forward to reading this book and then watching the movie "Freedom" that I recorded from Showtime on their free weekend promo. (A little fun for mom :)...krb 4/26/16

Interesting read, It is so amazing to see God working throughout his
Heather Martinez
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Autobiography of John Newton's life. John Newton is best known for the hymn, "Amazing Grace". His story is incredible! What a testimony! John Newton is considered one of the Generals of the Christian faith. His testimony proves that God can take anyone and transform their lives if they will open their hearts up to Him. He went from a Captain in the slave trade to a preacher of God. After John's conversion he helped to abolish the slave trade in England. I was thoroughly blessed b ...more
Michael O'Brien
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think most people are generally familiar with the melody of the song, "Amazing Grace" --- its moving lyrics having helped heal many a soul during our darkest hours. But, I think, not as many have really looked at its words, and even less probably know the story of the man whose wayward journey was well into darkness, but who experienced God's patience, grace, and mercy so profoundly that it set him upon a far better, different course from that of the libertine, deserter, atheist, and slave tra ...more
Shelby
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see”. The words of this song have been echoed by many, many people all across the world. But how many people truly know of the man, John Newton, who penned these words, or the events that led him to do so?

In this biography of John Newton, we follow his life from his teenage years on. We see a young, cursing, sailor who denies the existence of God and wonder how this boy ever pe
Ernest Freudenburg
What I didn't realize about John Newton prior to reading this biography, is that he tried to claim Christianity while working in the slave trade. The conversion to a Christian lifestyle was much more gradual.
Rebekah
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, bios-mems
A great biography for kids on the life of the man who gave us the Hymn "Amazing Grace". Although, in my opinion, the hymn is meaningful for every christian the story of his life really elevates that meaning.
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent story but I didn't think the writing was all that spectacular and there were quite a few editing mistakes.
Bianca Retchless
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had to do this book for a report so I didn't necessarily like it.
Cathy
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of John Newton until I read this book. What a transformation his life took. He had a work to do on this earth and God helped him to do so.
Jeanne
Feb 11, 2015
Heidi
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Heroes of the Faith (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Corrie ten Boom (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Heroes of the Faith: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Jim Elliot (1927-1956) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Samuel Morris: The Apostle of Simple Faith (Heroes of the Faith)
  • David Livingstone: The Pathfinder
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Faith Triumphs
  • Heroes of the Faith
  • Beloved Heroes Of The Faith (Heroes Of The Faith Series)
  • Heroes of the Faith