Start by marking “Come Up and See Me Sometime: Stories” as Want to Read:
Come Up and See Me Sometime: Stories

Come Up and See Me Sometime: Stories

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
With Mae West as her ingenious guiding spirit, Erika Krouse introduces us to thirteen young, single, geographically and emotionally nomadic women looking for self-knowledge and trouble.

"I like to sleep with other women's husbands," says the narrator of "The Husbands" by way of introduction; unfortunately, one of those husbands is her own sister's. In "Drugs and You," a l

Published April 30th 2002 by Scribner (first published July 3rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Come Up and See Me Sometime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Up and See Me Sometime

Harvey
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- copied from a review: "The thirteen stories in the collection are linked by a common theme: the main characters are all young, childless, geographically and emotionally nomadic women who are searching for self-knowledge and satisfaction in the face of the vicissitudes of single life."
- I read the one titled "The Husbands" in the Atlantic Magazine a while back.
- a favourite quote: " (My daughter) doesn't like my boyfriend. She doesn't call him by name; she calls him by number. I think he's numb
Carly Miller
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I popped into the Denver Public Library to drop off an application last summer and ended up stumbling upon this book. The cover art intrigued me and Erika's proximity to me brought me to check it out. It was fate!

I adored these stories, many of them really hit home with me. Erika Krouse writes with such a natural flow. I finished each story and had to reflect for at least a day before I could read another. She has a very smooth prose, but somehow manages to touch on issues of humanity, womanhood
Monica
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, she cracks me up.

"When I asked my shrink if I was a control freak, he finished saying “Absolutely” before I finished saying “freak.” I told him that I once worked with a woman who carried a remote control in her purse. Whenever she got worried or angry, she took it out and stroked it like a gerbil. My shrink said that if I keep comparing myself to severe neurotics, I’ll think that anything is permissible." -- From "No Universe"
Steph Stephens
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is a very interesting and compelling collection of short stories. They are fiction, but seem very close to creative non-fiction because of the great narration. There is a serious feeling of feminist liberation, but it is subtley and well put. Krouse has a very well read aura of writing and creates great charecters and plots.
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: shortstories
This book of short stories was a quick read - the stories were interesting and the writing was compelling. Yet, I just didn't love it. Although the stories all ostensibly had different narrators (I think), they all kind of seemed like the same person. And that person was such a bitter/jaded/cynical/miserable one that it became a bit tiresome.
Dr.
Sep 08, 2008 added it
Smiple, easy to read and compelling. This book, well short of 200 words and wellillustrated, is about an infant who survived the long train ride to a Nazi extermination center. I grabbed this book because that is how I spell my daughters name. After finishing this book I am so grateful that my life has been spared the grief and heartache Erika's parents must have experienced.
Elisabeth Kinsey
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Erika. What a fresh outlook and kooky stories that are never boring, incredibly readable. A "bring with me on the plane" book - for sure.
Teatum
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of in love with Erika's short fiction. Every single story is a world unto itself, incredibly witty, and beautifully written. Can't wait to pick up "Contenders" next.
Caroline
Apr 02, 2016 added it
Recommended to Caroline by: 77437
story collection that I don't remember at all
Joanne Kelly
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creative and compelling writing, quirky characters. A delightful collection of short stories about young women looking for love.
Erin
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fabulous set of short stories!
Michael
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Krouse's writing. Just wish there was more of it.
Lauren
Jmheilig
Sep 19, 2013
Sage
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fabulous, witty, thoughtful; humanity in the raw distilled into a few well chosen turns of phrase.
Aja Gabel
Oct 29, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Out of the Girls' Room and Into the Night
  • Someone Like You
  • Murder In The Rue Chartres (Chanse MacLeod, #3)
  • The Dust of Wonderland
  • Mahu Men (Mahu, #6.5)
  • The Body Is Water
  • Aloha Candy Hearts (A Russell Quant Mystery, #6)
  • Misadventures in the 213
  • In September, the Light Changes
  • The Shabby Chic Home
  • Sew Pretty Homestyle
  • She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir
  • People I Wanted to Be
  • The Palace Of Varieties
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Fly Straight (The Broom Closet Stories #1)
  • Home Made Vintage: Over 40 Quick And Easy Sewing Projects
Erika Krouse is a fiction writer living in Boulder, Colorado. Her short fiction has appeared or is forthcoming in The New Yorker, The Atlantic, One Story, Ploughshares, Shenandoah, Glimmer Train, Esquire.com, Crazyhorse, and Story. She has also published poetry and essays in magazines and anthologies, and reviewed for The New York Times Book Review.

Erika's collection of short stories, Come Up and
More about Erika Krouse...