Start by marking “Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See” as Want to Read:
Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See

Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,000 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"In the continuum of life and trying to discover my true self, Sabrina reminds me, through her brave, insightful, and heartfelt honesty, that we are all connected in this journey. We are connected through an intertwining sameness called the struggles and joys of finding and becoming our authentic selves. When I read her words, I felt acknowledged for my journey and for bei ...more
Published August 14th 2001 by Villard Books

To ask other readers questions about Brave on the Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave on the Rocks

Mar 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Author: Sabrina Ward Harrison
Title: Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See

Plot: I really have no idea what this book is about. It's supposed to be about the author's happiness of her first book's success and a trip to Italy, with some self discovery.

Setting: The author's mind(?)

Characters: the author(?)

POV: ?

Theme: Self-discovery of a random mind

Style: Multimedia, Every page is different, some have hand-written, illegible notes, some are just random photos, some are notes with torn o
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
I am surprised the average rating of this is above a three. The art is great, the writing is just supplementary. I own it and flip through when I'm about to draw or sew or paint, but I don't think I'd ever bother actually reading the words again. It's like reading a friend's journal entries, and she's not even that good of a writer.
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-creativity
I read all of Sabrina's books-she is a great inspiration. Our stories need not be the same for art to speak and pull us toward our better selves.
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
in freeform art journal style (don't expect to see lined-up paragraphs or even tons of text on each page), sabrina speaks to the artist spirit with her willingness to spill out (as in her other books) her insecurities, hopes, desires...all while encouraging you to be willing to do the same in your own life, whatever your occupation.

*visit her website at to see her work
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is bringing together life advice I'm finding everywhere around me - it quoted a quote that our minister quoted last weekend and then it quoted an author I'm learning about and preparing to read.

I feel like the Universer is conspiring to bring things to my attention through this brave young author!
Oct 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls in love with being in love
my best friend lent this to me at the very beginning of our best-friendship. i hate to walk on rocks and pointy surfaces in general...the story she wrote about her father and why she named it as such is beautiful.
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I haven't read the first book and so maybe I am biased because of it. I have seen lot of bad reviews of this one. But I enjoyed it. It came along at time I was needing it. Her art inspired me. Her thoughts were thoughts I have had as an artist. It was what I needed it to be and that is all.
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book just tickled my visual sense. I love the artwork along side this honest journey of finding oneself. I pick up this book every now and then to find inspiration. It's an easy read, but it's raw and real.
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sabrina's stuff is so amazing. Her artwork is so raw and fresh. I love her words and how she just puts herself out there for all to see. This is such an inspiring book.
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
An interesting combination of art/semi-self-help/journal. I liked her first one better.
Bonita Rose
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
another one on my wish list! Love this girl's style.. so artistic and so full of real truths!
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Very good, inspiring. Also visually beautiful.
Jun 06, 2008 added it
While this was not my favorite, it is still an extremely inspirational book. Instead of being with the art books in the book store it is in the Self Help section, and I think its for good reason.
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
A two star shocker.
Really was not worth my money. Which is a shame, because I love Sabrina's other works.
Inspiring. I'll pass it along. Don't feel it must be in my permanent collection. Worth Sharing with a friend.
Katarzyna L
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This girl is the coolest!
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the book which inspired me to go to Italy, and specifically the Cinque Terre, for my great post-college adventure. It influenced me in all kinds of ways.
Aug 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't find this one as moving as Spilling Open but it's still an inspiring and beautiful accomplishment.
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sabrina Ward Harrison was a pioneer in the art-journal movement. Her work is raw, fresh, soulful, original and honest. A visual feast.
Kelvin Paul
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i'll just wonder to read it.
Apr 20, 2010
Oct 29, 2014
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • A Life In Hand
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Zine Scene: Do It Yourself Guide to Zines
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings