Start by marking “Homeless (Vet Volunteers #2)” as Want to Read:
Homeless (Vet Volunteers #2)

Homeless (Vet Volunteers #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  562 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Sunita has always wanted a cat, but her parents are dead set against it. Then she finds a group of strays living in the wild, and knows she can domesticate them--even though she's been told that these are feral cats, who see humans as their enemies. First, she convinces Dr. Mac to examine the cats, fix them, and give them shots. Then she wants to re-release the cats, now h ...more
Published May 10th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published January 2000)

Wendi Lee
*3.5 stars*

My library didn't have the first book in this series, so I'm hoping I didn't miss much by skipping to book two. I'm a big fan of Laurie Halse Anderson's YA novels, and interested in seeing what her early reader/pre-MG books are like. Not only that, but I'm looking for stuff my 8 year old might like after he's done with The Notebook of Doom series. We are both big cat fans, so this seemed like a good fit.

Strengths: Sunita is an Indian American protagonist (yay for diversity!) and obse
Kaley Catron
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing like a light simple read. The Wild At Heart books are perfect for those. I had the first book of these for the longest time and just recently found book 2 and I loved it just as much as the first and I can't wait to find the next ones and finish the series(:
Cheyann
this book homeless was about a girl who truly love cats. who decided to work at a clinic just to be around cats because her mother don't like them nor won't allow her to have one as a pet.she believes that they are to sneaky.

what i liked about the book was how she really liked cats and you could tell because even after she got bit by one hard to where she had to go to the hospital afterward she was making sure the cat that bit her was okay and she was blaming herself and still wanted to check on
beth mccullough
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!!

I have nothing negative to say! It was a very good book. I could imagine most of the book in my head.
10-11 kacie
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sunita is a very cat loveing person. so whent out to the rescue clinct and got a voeering teerie job to help dr.mac. she became very close to socrates the clinic's pet animal. she took him home one day and there was another cat at the house and socrates became violent and starting attcting the other cat. after the fight they both ran away and sunita became very worriod that something had happened to him and the other cat (she was pregant) so they were even more worried. when they were looking fo ...more
Viviennegloria
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speak to the Book
Another of Anderson's great animal stories for young readers. Homeless focuses on Sunita and her desire to have a cat while teaching readers about the difference between pets and feral/wild animals. Through Sunita's gradual understanding of the distinction between domestic and feral, children can learn about the different ways that stray animals relate to people and learn a lesson about being cautious in animal encounters.
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: create-a-kit
Same stories in Anderson's Vet Volunteers series. All these stories are so much better than the run-of-the-mill cute animal chapter books out there. They are just as enjoyable for their readers, much more informative, and address current issues. I am using them to help animal organizations plan programs for kids in grades 3-5.
Books Kids Like
When Dr. Mac's cat, Socrates, runs away, the volunteers find a lot of feral cats inhabiting an abandoned boxcar. When Sunita sets out to find the cats good homes,she must overcome many obstacles not the least of which is her mother's fear of cats. Formulaic and predictable, but still a nice quick book to while away a few hours.
stargazer fey
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again another beautiful story i read as a young reader (5th grade). I loved this one more then the 1st one because i found this one more sad. I hate seeing homeless pets. They dont deserve it. Plus i like kitty's...hehe.
Shanell
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cats love Sunita Patel, and she loves them back. Since her mother won't let he have a cat of her own, finding a feral cat colony is a dream come true. But Animal Control is going to destroy all of the cats unless Sunita does something drastic.
Sheri
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
It seems every year I have at least one student that wants to be a veterinarian. Although I worry that some of my struggling readers will get caught up in the technical language and medical terms of this story, it's a story that shows the many ways to get involved with helping animals.
Beverly
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cats

It is always important to educate yourself on the species or pet you are planning to add to your home and family. Keeping your new member clean,fed,and healthy is very important. A pet can teach responsibility as well as love and compassion.
Samantha
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book like 50 times! I LOVE IT!
Vivian
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute kids book. It could've had more detail, but the book itself was probably meant to be short and to the point. Is is a quick feel good book to read.
Jen Evans
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-library
Great for 2nd grade and up.
Jim
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, medical
an intelligent and interesting story about feral cats.
Katelyn 11-12
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is another one of my great books! I would spare time i my day to read this, it had great words and the love never stopped.
Mariana Morales-Titla
I really liked and I think I want a cat (maybe).
Caroline C.
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one was better then the first i think it was ok a real good quick read.
Amy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feel good story for 4th or 5th grade students about a group of volunteers who rescue some cats from being put down.
Maddie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book
Rivkah.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the writer addresses the cat issues in this country. When it comes to rescue stories, so many people just skip over the cats!
Anika
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, and i like how it was about cats. This series is a short chapter book that i find interesting and a good story.
Maddy
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on Page 46 in the book Vet Volunteers I was on page 36 but I Read 36-46 (10) Pages
Ilana
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, educational, intriguing book series that helps young kids interested in animals learn a bit more about their furry friends.
Naiya
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is sad and it is a really big adventure for sunita... she loves cats and cats love her back .... you should read this book for further information
Grace
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good b/c it was about cats, and cats are my favorite animals.
Kendra
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
this book was amazing, i could never put it down. it was great, and is perfect for any animal lover.
Erika
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
sad but for all animal lovers, along with the whole series
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Marisol
  • Just Josefina
  • Mare in the Meadow (Animal Ark, #31)
  • Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief #1)
  • Nicki
  • The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Kirsten and the New Girl
  • Jess
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 1: Revolutions of Terror
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Arabian Challenge (Thoroughbred, #22)
  • Kittens in the Kitchen (Animal Ark, #1)

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE!

The final book in my thrilling historical trilogy about the American Revolution, ASHES, will be published October 4, 2016!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is the New Yor
More about Laurie Halse Anderson...

Vet Volunteers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fight for Life (Vet Volunteers, #1)
  • Trickster (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • Manatee Blues (Wild at Heart, #4)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Storm Rescue (Wild at Heart, #6)
  • Teacher's Pet (Wild at Heart, #7)
  • Trapped (Wild at Heart, #8)
  • Fear of Falling (Wild at Heart, #9)
  • Time to Fly (Wild at Heart, #10)
  • Masks (Wild at Heart, #11)