Start by marking “Picking on Retards” as Want to Read:
Picking on Retards

Picking on Retards

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
We are most shaped by the things that we are ashamed of. Ronald "Butcher" Blake is The Man when it comes to high school football in 1988. With the other heroes of the undefeated Mims High School Mustangs he is one of the elite. The untouchable. That is until he takes it upon himself, while showing off for his teammates, to assault and frighten a mentally disabled boy in th ...more
Published April 19th 2010 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Picking on Retards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picking on Retards

Lance
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
How unfortunate that the title of this book will scare people off before they even give it a chance. Yes the title is provocative, much along the same lines as Stop Being Niggardly and Nine Other Things Black People Need to Stop Doing. Yes, it sounds pretty offensive and I will admit that I didn’t really want to pull it out and start reading it in the doctor’s office waiting room. But, Picking on Retards is not the mean-spirited book that some people are going to assume it is. In fact, it is a c ...more
Lisa Malmquist
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book thoroughly and the earlier book by Mr Carpenter, Mr Undesirable.
I found this after reading a review by Lance Carbuncle here on Goodreads. Thanks for the review and book suggestion.( I knew there was some reason we were connected here on Goodreads.)
This book was a lot more than you might think from the title- in fact you can pretty much forget about getting offended by the title. (there are other things you can be offended about in the book if you like)
The book is about a high
Glenn
May 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humorous-novels
2.5 stars. Agree it's a bad title, as others have noted. I picked this up after reading Scott's earlier work Mr. Undesirable, which I found hilarious. This one not so much. Occasional laughs, but much less than his previous book. Also, the football angle and especially the ending was not believeable, as he depicted a high school team so great that only ONE touchdown was scored against them the whole season prior to the championship game. Many of the story elements just didn't ring true.
David Bunegar
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book first got my attention because of the Goodreads friends' recommendations. I went to go buy it on Amazon and saw all of the character assassination attempts on the author. Of course, that made me buy it. I do get bored with football, but the characters all drew me in. I encourage people to read this book. Please go on Amazon and help the ratings go up. This book was good. The title made me mad, but the story was honest. It makes me mad when people rate books on Amazon or any space witho ...more
Brenda Runco
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed this book. I was a freshman in highschool when the "hero" of this story was a senior and I could so relate to the setting. It made me laugh and could be a little graphic with the sexual content, but it was highschool and SO REAL! It touched me though to know this "hero" was really someone's hero for who he was, not his athletic ability. Great book!
Tess Johnston
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is full of cussing and sex, but since it's about a high school boy so it just seemed real. There were several laugh at loud parts.
Kevin
Jun 12, 2011
Mar 16, 2012
Karen
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2011