Start by marking “The Byron Journals” as Want to Read:
The Byron Journals

The Byron Journals

Andrew and his mate Benny have finished school and are heading for the holiday of their lives in Byron Bay. They are not sure what they're looking forward to most: the surf, the girls, the music, the partying or just being away from Adelaide. Things don't go to plan, and Andrew loses his mates. But he finds Heidi. Heidi is not like anyone he's ever met before, and she take ...more
Paperback
Published June 28th 2010 by The Text Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Byron Journals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Byron Journals

Start your review of The Byron Journals
Harriet
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was a really interesting and exciting read. I really recommend The Byron Journals to everyone.
Pakaruchu
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
An easy read. I really liked the beginning but couldn’t really get into the second half of the book.
Matthew Legaspi
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Byron Journals tracks the questionable, alternative lifestyles of a group of young adults in Byron Bay. His skilled writing paints a languid, summery tone that is undercut with the uncertainty of growing up and the bittersweet trial of identifying ourselves. The dialogue is conversational, plot realistic, and the characters are full of depth and humanity; together, they oscillate into crafting an honest and perceptive novel that looks into the mind of a new generation regarding sex, drugs, a ...more
Marianne
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
In Daniel Ducrou’s novel, we follow Andrew as he makes the schoolies pilgrimage to Byron Bay. Andrew is trying to escape various things in his life in Adelaide. He hooks up with a girl like no-one he’s come across back home and things seem to be going great for a while. But escaping home, family and life in Adelaide is not so simple.
Ducrou deals with quite a few topical issues and ideas: music, drug use, violence, sex, family, relationships and guilt. These are handled in a very realistic way a
Radford Secondary Library
Andrew and his mate Benny have finished school and are heading for the holiday of their lives in Byron Bay. They are not sure what they're looking forward to most: the surf, the girls, the music, the partying or just being away from Adelaide. However, things don't go to plan. Andrew loses his mates and finds Heidi. But is Andrew really prepared for the ride she's about to take him on?
Linda
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I mentored Dan in the early stages of his writing this book. It was clear he was talented and dedicated and I'm delighted by the publication of The Byron Journals by Text (my old publisher) and the good reviews he's been getting.
Eliza
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found alot of the content of this story, quite confronting as mainly it was illegal. The language was basic and, by the end of the novel, I could not see the value in the plot and occurances within the novel.
Zoe
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this, the characters were diverse and unpredictable. For the first time while reading a book I didn't have a strong idea of what I wanted for the characters, I was just happy to see how things ended up. Booked myself a trip to Byron when I finished reading it too.
Rebecca James
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting! Absolutely loved it.
Trisha
Aug 05, 2011 added it
a hard-edged read. but the music softens the edges. a bit.
Lauren
Katrin Schmidt
Mar 18, 2016

• The Easy Way to Stop Drinking
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
  • The Trial and Death of Socrates (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo (death scene only))
  • Mao's Last Dancer
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • Cherub Boxed Set, #1-12 (Cherub, #1-12)
  • Temple
  • The Inheritance Cycle (The Inheritance Cycle #1-4)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)
  • The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • God's Callgirl
  • The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Harry Potter Series Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-7)
  • Tender is the Night
Daniel Ducrou is an Australian author based in Melbourne. His writing has appeared in The Age, The Big Issue, Sleepers Almanac, Kill Your Darlings and the Review of Australian Fiction. His first book, THE BYRON JOURNALS, was shortlisted for an Australian Vogel and a Victorian Premier’s Literary Award. His second book, CONTROL, is a memoir of surfing and unplanned fatherhood.