Start by marking “Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,840 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The guide to creating engaging web content and building a loyal following, revised and updated Blogs, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other platforms are giving everyone a "voice," including organizations and their customers. So how do you create the stories, videos, and blog posts that cultivate fans, arouse passion for your products or services, and ignite your ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Content Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Rules

Cara
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
When I picked this up, I knew I was not the intended audience, but I wanted to know "how to create killer podcasts, webinars (and More)." However, the book is way too far out into the land of "hey brick-and-mortar business person! Try this technology! It's neato!" to provide me any useful advice. Ex. How to make killer webinars? Get webinar software, get a really good speaker, plan a topic, invite people, answer questions, make sure it doesn't get screwed up. Yeah, thanks.
Paul DeBusschere
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars because it has useful information in it about managing a content-based marketing effort, but it fell somewhat short on depth. By the end of the book, I had the feeling it could have been about seventy pages shorter, as the authors were down to repeating ideas over and over (Ideas You Can Steal in each case example). The authors tripped up by stating some rather pedantic rules about words people shouldn't use (like, "leverage." Really?) and fell into using some of the ...more
C.C.
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it, so I'm a bit biased, but I like it and can't wait for others to get a chance to read it!
Chris Giovagnoni
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great "how to" and a must read for social media managers. It makes my Top Five must read social media books.
Gradon Tripp
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best, most concrete book on social media tactics I've read yet.
Anabelle Bernard Fournier
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a web content writer, I can’t pass up a book that promises to help produce killer content for the Web. Thanks to my Kindle, I was able to buy the book and start reading it within seconds. Even though it took me a while to finish it (moving oblige), I’m really glad I did.

I loved one of the foundational premises of the book: “marketing can learn a lot from the art and style of storytelling (literature) and the fundamentals and science of good reporting (journalism)” (loc 314). This is a book af
VisforVillains
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ishtar-s-books
Very basic. Definitely fine for someone who is delving into social media for the first time.

I think it lost me as soon as it brought in drawings of robots doing various things. I understand that this was supposed to help you remember key ideas, but I found myself irritated by them. And then they were never brought back in the rest of the book. If you are going to introduce a visual element like that, you should at least carry it through.

One of the points the book made over and over was to avoid
David H Deans
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The forward of this book states that "Marketing is about creating great content" - but that the art and science of producing that superior material has been a mystery to many. David Meerman Scott, the author of the book's forward section, suggests that the answer to the question "what exactly, should I do?" is to tell stories. Granted, that's one important aspect of a forward-looking plan of action.

However, perhaps it's essential to fully understand why most businesses tend to create poor conten
Robyn
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall this was an interesting book. There were some useful bits, although I don't think the subtitle is accurate. I didn't feel like the book taught me how to do anything. The content rules concept was great, I loved the point about how content is what motivates purchases, trust, and engagement (not design) and how this should be the primary marketing tool we consider.

I agreed with all of part one, found myself going "uh huh uh huh" along with the authors. After a while I realized I was agreei
Mike Maginot
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like word play. The title, Content Rules, refers more to the influence your content engenders than it does to any sort of principles you should apply to its creation. The authors provide guidelines for getting the maximum mileage from the content that you, or your organization, generate, but not a fool proof formula for marketing success. What you get here are helpful hints, tips, and case studies.

The authors are advocates of reimagining, taking ideas that you might use in a blog and repositio
Dave Fleet
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Content Rules is a great read for anyone looking to brush up on how to develop effective content that delivers results.

The proportion of Content Rules that will be useful to you depends on your knowledge level. The book is divided into three parts; the first covers the absolute basics; the second goes into more depth on specific elements; the final section covers case studies. If you have a reasonable handle on content strategy, you will be able to skip to the second section; meanwhile, even if
Don
Apr 15, 2012 added it
This book is packed with great tips and sound principles for content marketers. It goes lightly into the details of how we got here, and heavy on the what to do about it. It describes how marketing has changed due to changes in consumer behavior and does so in a very conversational, easy to read format.

Well done!
Daria Steigman
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The early days of the World Wide Web were so much easier.

Back in the “old days,” having a Web presence meant putting the equivalent of a corporate brochure online. Web site checked off. On to more pressing marketing tasks.

Well, not really— but that was what most companies did.

Now every business has to be a publisher, and every company has to have something to say besides “BUY ME.” Content matters.

Enter Content Rules.

Co-authors Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman have written a bible for savvy entrepren
Paul Mirek
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Handley and Chapman's broad overview of content strategy has stagnated some in the five years since it's been published, but it remains a useful guide to the step-by-step processes necessary for creating engaging results.

Most will be able to skip past the first half of the book, which largely consists of curated comments from other experts about the value of investing in content marketing. Today businesses seem much more ready to employ these strategies (at least in the B2B arena where I have t
Levi
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
In my quest to learn everything I can about social media, I read this book on content marketing. The problem with a lot of marketing books, even from big names like Guy Kawasaki, is that they focus too much on mechanics and not enough on theory. The problem with writing a book about the mechanics of an internet tool is that the internet is constantly changing, thus leaving the book in the dust by the time it finally hits shelves.

Thankfully, Handley and her co-author, C. C. Chapman, deftly side-s
September Michaud
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, business
I listened to the audio version of this during my commute. Having already done some PR work, none of this information was new to me but it was a good reintroduction to some things like SEO and the importance of being able to write for different markets.

Because I now do marketing for a small library, I thought I would have to alter the information in this book (really aimed toward profit-seeking businesses) to fit my needs, but that wasn't the case--a couple of libraries were even referenced thro
Daniel Taylor
Online, people trust people they can talk to as another human being. Conversation is king. Content is how you start conversations.

Content Rules is divided into three parts. The first covers the rules of producing content. Part two provides the hammer-and-nails practical section. The third part is a collection of success stories: businesses who use content as a core element of their online strategy.

The section on rules asks you to consider who you want to attract with your content. Answering that
Alexander Fitzgerald
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Many people complain that this book is too fraught with basics: I've run an online business for years and I found many tips and ideas that hadn't occurred to me. My ream of notes from the text numbered a 100+ entries. I definitely feel it was worth the investment.

That's not to say it's perfect. The authors really do try to appeal to everyone, which includes many backward-thinking businesses. It puts them in this odd area where they are trying to sound casual but at the same time they can't risk
Missy Reid
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a helpful guide for general purposes with many examples of how a broad range of brands have applied the prescribed strategies in ways that make sense for them. The conclusion has a handy checklist that will be especially beneficial for inexperienced bloggers. I still have a few unanswered questions about best practices for developing a corporate blog plan that focuses on building trust agents and thought leadership. Considering that the connected consumer is cynical about corporate-spons ...more
Stan Skrabut
If you are writing for your business, non-profit, or personal site, you need to read Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business*. If you are creating video content, writing a blog, posting on social media, or hosting a podcast, you need to read this book. I consider this a must reading for all the organizations and colleges I have been a part of. Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman have written ad easy to read ...more
Locs and Lenses
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book answered all of my questions and eliminated all of my excuses. If you have a business, blog or web page that you want to get off of the ground then this is the book for you. I normally do not enjoy non-fiction but I was in desperate need of a boost and this delivered. I actually listened to the audio version of this book every day for about a week.
I learned so much about the content of my blog and my other social media accounts that I know I will purchase this in a paperback. There are
Ilario Gobbi
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Una guida piuttosto completa che segue passo dopo passo l'intero processo di creazione di contenuti utili e virali per i propri follower: il libro affronta i ragionamenti da seguire per realizzare video, ebook, white paper, faq, podcast interessanti per la propria nicchia, le tempistiche da seguire per gestire efficacemente un piano editoriale degno di questo nome, cosa produrre che sia davvero in grado di magnetizzare l'attenzione dei propri seguaci.
Informazioni note a chi già opera nel campo d
James
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: communications, work
Some decent advice here on the importance of planning and repurposing communications materials, but it seems geared more for managers than content creators. The book does offer a good grounding on different communications vehicles and basic approaches to storytelling. But anyone doing this for their job will likely already be familiar with what they're sharing.

The authors are a bit social media–utopian for my tastes, and they're also big on hype-y title and Buzzfeed-esque listicle strategies, w
Mari Rydings
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I cut my teeth in the print publishing world and am now navigating the constantly-changing world of the Digital Age. From its practical, "put-into-play right now" ideas to its real world examples, this book offers a common sense approach to marketing. The conversational tone makes this an entertaining yet accessible read. My brain is swirling with ways to reimagine existing content (versus simply recycling it), generate new content that bursts with personality and create a sustainable marketing ...more
Ali
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would start my review by saying that this book is good. It's a good overview of a lot of content marketing concepts. Like with most things in life, the items in this book are more easily said (or written about, as is the case here), than done. Not saying that this book isn't helpful -- it really is! It's just that it's not going to do your work for you. However, what this book will do is give you the confidence to go forth and do the work yourself.

Which is a definitely a good and helpful thing
Sagar Jethani
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Met the author at a conference & found the book at my local library. A useful find in a subject area which attracts a lot of pseduo-experts. I plan to incorporate several of the ideas included in this volume in my daily work.
Marcie Hill
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was good in that it introduced you to the different tools and best practices. It also gave examples of how companies were engaging their customers, which is always a plus. More importantly, it gave me ideas for my next book.
Katie
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book for an overview of content marketing, but it focused on B2B and B2C. Working in a nonprofit it was not as immediately useful as some other books I've read, but there are still some ideas that can be extrapolated to my "industry."
David Bossert
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all
Has a lot of great information but I also felt it was a advertisement for other books by the publisher. Spotted throughout were references to other books by the same publisher and after the third or forth reference it started to get annoying. Some of the material was very basic.
Britney
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great first book to read about content marketing. It is conversationally written and not too high-level, covering broadly the "whats" and "whys" of all the tools out there without bogging you down with the "hows." Very glad I read this.
Welcome to our company (BP Holdings)- Wordpress 1 5 Jun 18, 2013 11:34PM
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Managing Content Marketing: The Real-World Guide for Creating Passionate Subscribers to Your Brand
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • What the Plus! Google+ for the Rest of Us
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
Ann Handley is the author of Everybody Writes (Wiley 2014), co-author of Content Rules (Wiley 2011), a speaker, and the world's first Chief Content Officer. More at AnnHandley.com.
More about Ann Handley

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Your awesome site isn’t awesome. Getting your stories into the hands of the people who need them is awesome.” 2 likes
“If you aren’t having fun creating content, you’re doing it wrong.” 1 likes