Start by marking “The House on the Borderland” as Want to Read:
The House on the Borderland

The House on the Borderland

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Graphic adaptation by Richard Corben and Simon Revelstone of the William Hope Hodgson novel first published in 1908.

This classic novel of the weird supernatural, first published in 1908, was an important influence on H. P. Lovecraft. In the ruins of an ancient stone house in Ireland is found the diary of an elderly man who lived alone with his sister and their pets, and wh
Published December 1st 2000 by DC Comics (first published 2000)

Oscar
No puedo ser magnánimo con una obra que dice ser una adaptación de la obra del genial e imprescindible William Hope Hodgson, ‘La casa en el confín de la Tierra’ (The House on the Borderland, 1908), y se queda únicamente en lo superficial y escabroso, en lo más llamativo de la obra original, el acoso y ataque de los hombres-cerdo. Más que una adaptación, diría que se trata de un homenaje. El dibujo está bien, pero la historia es muy floja.

La trama comienza en 1952, cuando dos amigos se encuentran
أحمد
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Once again, Richard Corben presents a very fine - yet quite forgotten - piece of weird fiction. William Hope Hodgson's The Houser on the Borderland was written in 1908. Even before Lovecraft. The language is rather old, even in the comic adaptation, but it seems Fear is a cosmic language easily understood, especially through art like Corben's.
Orrin Grey
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Though I'm a big fan of William Hope Hodgson, this is actually my first direct exposure to his most famous work. I've got a copy of the actual novel coming to me as well, but this one got here first.

I've seen a lot of people mark this one down, but I thought it delivered beautifully. Richard Corben, as I've said before, is an artist who works better in some instances than others, and I think this is a pretty nearly perfect venue for his particular style. The crumbling ruins, the clutching brambl
Sooraya Evans
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A pointless graphic novel.
Even with color, the lousy artwork is a pain to decipher.
Hard to follow what's going on most of the time.
Cail
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-bookshelf
Richard Corben doing his thing and nailing it, once again. A surprisingly deep and accessible adaptation of this classic (so says Alan Moore) weird fiction novel.
Kereesa
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the novel and/or Lovecraft
Recommended to Kereesa by: Nicholas Cyr
Weeeeeeeiiiirrrrddddd.

But definitely encourages me to read the actual text. Without the semi-obvious add-ons etc...
Chris
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about this adaptation is the artwork - the style reminds me quite a lot of old EC Comics (The Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, and so on). I read those comics frequently as a kid, having been given subscriptions to them from my uncle; I must say, for all my dislike of said uncle and his family (this being my dad's ex-wife's family), this was one gift that I really appreciated. Reading excerpted adaptations from classics like The Martian Chronicles was a profoundly ...more
milster
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eerie, terryfing tale, the adaption of William Hope Hodgson classic novel. Honestly, I never read the original, which now I'll try to fix in the next couple days. But I presume this book sticks pretty close to it.
Btw, HPL named the guy as important influence on his work, and despite the seting, it's not a gothic horror story. It's amped toward more cosmic stuff, hence it's Lovecraftian feel.

House from the title is not the place, but mere an object, on the border between life and death and wh
Paul
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hate to admit that I had never even heard of William Hope Hodgeson before reading this.
Basically it's a Lovecratian slash Poe-genre story with the appropriate horror, gore and incest (and even some beastiality thrown in for "good" measure) usually found in these types of stories. One of those stories within a story that merge together in the end. It does have the redeeming quality of having a sympathetic mastiff dog named Pepper, and stories are always better with "good" dog heroes :-)

Corben is
Chibineko
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up the other day at my favorite comic book store, which only cements how awesome I think that place is.

I'll be honest and say that I've never read the original book, so I have nothing to compare it to. (Although it is now something I feel I must read!) This probably helps and hurts my experience, to be honest.

The artwork in this volume is nicely done. It has this nice funky feeling to it, making it fit the strangeness of the story. I love the nice, slick artwork you see in the mo
J K
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luis Diaz
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite Richard Corben illustrated story. I don't know how this one kind of hid from me for so long, but I bought it and read it and was taken on a nice trip with some of the best art by Corben I have ever seen. Occasionally his storytelling is a little off, but not so much in this story. The story is nicely adapted from the original material with a nice Alan Moore introduction. I plan to visit this story again in the future. Cover is a little off, but most of Corben's covers are th ...more
Xochi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the graphic novel version, but I absolutely loved this novel. It was originally written as a Horror story, and it feels like the bizarre brother of that theme. I came to see how disturbing these so-called Swine creatures were, and the author gave such vivid imagery of how terrifying these monsters are. The entire story was planned perfectly and executed brilliantly. I personally loved the scenes where the main character goes through these trippy viewings of the world changing.

All i
William Funk
A good general Victorian horror/fantasy tale, supported by the art in overall delivery but somewhat lacking in anatomical logic during closeups. The story itself is concerned w/ a particularly frail faultline b/t reality and dream, and the nightmares that are ever probing the thin spots that separate the worlds we inhabit. The artwork, when allowed to dwell on the monstrous, is compelling, even iconic.
Ken
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, library
First off, let me explain that the reason I read the graphic novel version is because that is what my library network had. The story is great - I would bet that the original novel is 5 stars. The graphic version is a bit tough to follow in places, and I'm not crazy about some of the artwork, particularly how the main characters are drawn. I feel like the artist is fantastic at drawing the monsters and beasts, but not so much the people. I'll definitely be hunting down the original novel.
Lauren
Still not entirely sure what was going on, I liked this well enough, but honestly the 'is this real life' jumping around from dream to maybe dream, to characters that started to look the same. Perhaps this is something that I would have benefited from reading the original work first then reading this as a companion piece.
Belinda
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting take on a very Lovecraftian book. The tale itself has a very gothic bent, but the art is so opposite of that look that it makes for an interesting conflict. The story is creepy and a bit disturbing and I suspect the original story has a good deal more detail, although I also suspect it's quite wordy as the Lovecraft stuff tends to be. A quick read, but worth it.
Jill
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book years ago as soon as it came out and I wish I had it handy so I could take a quick flip through it again. The illustrations were haunting and now that I'm reading the original source material, I can really appreciate how it was adapted visually.
Brent
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The interpretation of Hodgson's novel is wildly imaginative and terrifyingly illustrated. A graphic novel seems the perfect fit for this story. The shadows that lie beneath get a backbone of shape that really makes yours shiver.
Jacob
May 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this used because I'll buy anything with artist Richard Corben's name on it. I didn't like the story and upon reading this comic book adaptation I doubt I'd like the original fiction on which it was based.
Monty
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think some of the terror of the novel gets across but linked to visuals the story becomes ridiculous almost, too potty, extreme and
maybe irretrievable...
Suceeds most when it tries the least.
Craig
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Corben's artwork and was looking forward to this, but the storytelling was largely incoherent. I hope the Hodgson book is clearer than this (if I ever get around to reading it some day).
Susan Haines
This book was recommended to me as a great scary tale, but I'm thinking I probably should have chosen the actual book over the graphic novel.
Sonic
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Victorian psychedelic nightmare made vivid by Richard Corben's superb artistic hand.
Greg Chapman
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly illustrated by one of the great horror illustrators, Richard Corben. A great adaptation of Hodgson's novel.
Harold Neighbors
Jul 04, 2014
Shane Charles
Jan 27, 2016
Planartrade
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Son of Celluloid
  • L'Incal: Ce qui est en haut (The Incal, #4)
  • Mort Cinder
  • Minor Miracles
  • The Yattering and Jack
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • Clan Apis
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)
  • The Drowned: A Tale of Mystery and Horror