Start by marking “Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)

Mercy Blade

(Jane Yellowrock #3)

Things are heating up in the Big Easy. Weres have announced their existence to the world, and revived the bitter tensions that run between them and their old enemies: vampires.

As a trusted employee of Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, Jane finds herself caught in the cross fire. When Jane is attacked by a pack of marauding werewolves, she is thankful for the help
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published January 4th 2011 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Blade, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kathleen Parrish Gee is an Anzu, a mythical being from another reality that lives in symbiosis with vampires.

Robin (Bridge Four)
description

Oh Jane…How can you be so on point in your professional life and so totally messed up in your personal one. It is baffling to the mind.

Jane in her professional life…

description

Jane in her personal life…

description

Overall I think I’d like this if the story stayed more Urban Fantasy and less Paranormal Romance and by Paranormal Romance I mean love triangle/square/quadrangle tangles mess with self esteem issues.

So the things I enjoy in this story are all on the plot side:

◎ – Werecreatures have just come out of the clo
Choko
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4.25 ***

Another great Urban Fantasy series with my UF Wednesday Group @ BB&B!

This series is so much fun! Not ha-ha fun, but adrenaline rush kind of fun. This being the third book in the series, we already have a relationship with Jane Y., our Skinwalker rogue Vampire hunter. "Have steaks, will travel". She is Cherokee and with a very ambiguous history, but one thing is for sure - the soul of a large wild cat shares her body with her, after a magical accident in a moment of self preservat
Kat
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Things are pretty interesting in Jane’s life lately. She has been dating Rick (which Beast totally likes), but Bruiser isn’t totally out of the scene either. Do I need to just totally give up on my shipper hopes of her and Leo? I always seem to pick sinking ships… oh well. One of these two will grow on me, I’m sure. They’re both decent guys.

Leo has a little werewolf problem. In this series, weres have just come out to the human population, and are not playing nice. Faith Hunter does a great job
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Alarm stole over me on little kitten feet.”

The third book isn’t slowing down at all because there’s something always going on, central large mystery story-wise, small side mysteries, personal dilemmas for the main characters, AND personal dilemmas for the side-characters. An unusual thing about this series is that Jane is a form of shifter, although not considered a were – usually the first and second books involving shifters involve OTHER shifters as the main focus. Instead Jane Yellowrock h
Denisa
4.5
Well, this was fun!

Only reason I didn't give it 5 full stars is because of the love relationship, I don't like that (view spoiler)

Other than that, well, it was damn fun! I really liked the plot, the whole revenge thing, and the new character was absolutely lovely!

And the cliffhanger, gah! I'm off to read the next one!
Emma
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series gets better and better! A load of action this time involving were wolves and were cats, a grindylow and even a small time god! I really felt for Jane in this instalment as her love life takes a dramatic hit with Ricky- and hers and Beasts' hormones take a hit too with Bruiser. A lot of reviewers seem to not like the fact that Jane's love life is all over the place, but I personally think it keeps it real.
A great contribution to a great urban fantasy series.
Recommended, but start with
carol.
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of vamps and young women trying to figure that shit out
I’m always on the lookout for the next Kate Daniels, and the Jane Yellowrock series comes close.

description

Like Kate, she lost parents to violence, and like Kate, she has unique skill sets, both supernatural and physical. Both are young women supposedly comfortable being on their own, working as security consultants and swords-for-hire. Yet, so much of Jane’s energy is caught up in her negative feels that it is quite distressing.

description

It begins with Jane and Rick, her boyfriend of a month, packing up her things
Angela James
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, arc, urban-fantasy
I came to add a review that said "I don't know what to think about this book" but before I did that, I read some of the other reviews. And found someone else had already left that review. Glad I'm not alone! The thing is, I didn't dislike this book. But I do know I also didn't feel satisfied when I closed it, and I had a harder time getting into this installment.

I think part of my difficulty with this book, and the series, is that I'm not really sure where it's going as an overarching series. I
Lyn
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deadpool and Harley Quinn sit in an all-night laundromat, doing their laundry, playing Chutes and Ladders and discussing Faith Hunter’s 2011 Jane Yellowrock novel Mercy Blade.

Deadpool: You’re going to need some more lemon juice to get the blood out of that.

HQ: Rats! I liked that T, so who’s hotter me or Jane Yellowrock?

Deadpool: You’ve definitely got that VW backseat attractiveness but I could take Jane home to meet my mom. But Jane may try to stake mom in under 20 minutes.

HQ: Your mom a vamp?

De
Wanda
I enjoyed this installment of Jane Yellowrock in spite of myself! It’s only book three, and already Hunter has introduced werewolves to the mix. Not that I mind them too much, just that I like vampires so much better. Jane runs into them by accident—or was it an accident? Can she know how much vampire master Leo is manipulating her life?

One of the reasons that I like Jane so much is that she bestows nicknames on the people around her. That’s one of my bad habits—giving names to those people who
Maria Dimitrova
Wednesday buddy read with the UF group of BB&B.

Another instalment and another group of preternaturals added to the mix. Or rather two groups. The one was expected to show up sooner or later - the were-animals. They've chosen to reveal themselves to the general public and it leads to some interesting results. In most UF the author would start with the most common were-animal in existence - the werewolves. After all we're all familiar with them. Ms Hunter, however, chose to introduce werecats
Jo
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it

Jane is taking a mini-holiday with her new boyfriend Rick, when she’s suddenly called back to New Orleans by her boss, Leo Pellisier, because Weres announced their existence to the world. And soon Jane is once again placed in the middle of a turf war, this time between vampires and their old enemy the weres. When Jane is sent to deliver a message for Leo, she’s attacked by a group of werewolves intent on sending a message to Leo, but she’s saved by an intriguing stranger, Girrard. Girrard who us

Mrs. Badass
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans, Fans with Kick ass Heroines, not a lot of romance
Shelves: jan-2011
This was a fast paced gut wrenching read, and I will admit that I went to bed last night, right after I read the part where Jane goes to the restaurant to meet Rick for Breakfast, only he had already been there...(view spoiler) Then I went to bed. And had ALL SORTS of little dreams about what happened, and what who Rick was doing. It was awful and I slept shallowly and debated whether to get up and read in order to assuage my curiosity. I didn't, but now I'm s ...more
Sanaa
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
[3.5 Stars] That ending! Really enjoyed this one, but I do think that the ending was a little rushed. It was a bit much to take in. I can't wait to get to the next one because seriously that CLIFFHANGER (it isn't really one but then it really is at the same time)...
Chichipio
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another 2.5. My masochism knows no bounds. The sad part is that, next year, I'll probably read the fourth installment when it comes out. Yeap, I do stupid things like that.

Writing a review for this one feels a little repetitive since little has changed in terms of what I like/dislike since the first book. In fact, I could copy the review of the second book verbatim and have it work this time as well.

In this one, two new species of supes make their appearance. One that we don't know much about it
Kelly
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: wtf-is-going-on
Jane Yellowrock and her new boyfriend, Rick, are enjoying a brief respite from supernatural mayhem, staying at Jane’s residence in the Appalachians as they pack her belongings for a more long-term stay in New Orleans. Their peace is disrupted by an early morning news report that reveals the existence of werecats. As the story travels around the world, werewolves come out of the closet too, and one alpha werewolf appears on national television to accuse Jane’s boss, Leo Pellissier, of a long-ago ...more
TJ
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since there are so many great reviews that express exactly how I feel, I’m not sure what I can add to the mix except that I am LOVING this series! At the risk of being redundant, here are the main thought points.
1. LOVE Jane’s character. There are few kick-butt heroines better in all of publishing today. And, as an extension LOVE Beast, as well. The writing is unique and distinct between the two characters, yet form one whole that is absolutely awesome!
2. HATE that such a strong character as Jan
drey
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this highly-anticipated third installment in Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series, Jane's headed to the Big Easy, to do a job for the Master of the City, Leo Pellisier. Not too much of a hardship, as her new main man--undercover cop Rick--is there too. But it's not too long before their jobs get in the way of their relationship...

To add to the man-undercover-angst, her boss Leo's not too fond of Jane right now (after the events in Blood Cross), so she also has stay-under-the-radar angst. But
Mindy
5 This is the best yet Stars!

Audiobook

I really got to give it to the narrator, Khristine Hvam she is phenomenal!!! Her voice is incredible as Jane, as Beast and even when she switches characters. I don't know if I would truly love these books as much if I was actually reading them. I can't really say much about this one because it would give to much information away, I will say there was more steaminess and a cliffhanger at the end.
 photo Rick and Bruiser_zpsvjx1lnj3.jpg
 photo JaneYellowrockFaithHunter_zpsde7ffabc.jpg
Sara Kate
I must be missing something because the majority of my friends on here love this series and so far it's just not working for me. I want to love this series. I don't know I'll probably do one more and see how it goes. Don't hate me! :-)
Alysa H.
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite installment so far.
Ina
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I'm giving up on this series. I want to know how Jane's story will end, but I will be perfectly happy with someone telling me about the ending without actually reading the whole story.

I still don't like Jane and since this was already third book in the series, it's becoming a real problem. Even though Jane knew Rick was undercover and probably couldn't contact her, she acted like a teenage girl abandoned by her boyfriend and even though she had a boyfriend, she kept getting wet over Bruiser. I d
Joe
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I was super high on this series, until Mercy Blade.

Eventually Jane will learn not to attend vampire parties, they always end in violence.

Eventually Jane will learn that vampires lie because they are not good people and don't want the fact that they are cold and manipulative to be common knowledge.

Eventually Jane will learn that vampires are emotionally unstable and seem to suffer from universal manic-depression and schizophrenia.

The cliff hanger ending with Ricky Bo is a little on the nose.
Anna
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mercy Blade is a dark urban fantasy, with a skinwalker as the protagonist, maybe the last of her kind. Apart from the vampires and witches usual to the series, this installment is spiced with weres, both the lupine and feline variety.

“You know how to cook steak?" he asked, his voice warming slightly.
"Light a match under it. If it doesn't kick, it's dead and done.”

Lucky I found this series, now I have something to read while I wait for the next Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson book to be publish
SheLuvsGod
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series. So far it's consistently good. More good nick names like Zoro, snicker.

We have werewolves and others big cat shifters.

Jane rhymed her words and almost laughed while giving Leo bad news. He tires to kill her again.

What happened to beast at the end?
Steph Ann
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uno-2019
I remember this being the book that finally hooked me on the series when I read it the first time, and with this reread, I was hooked once again. It starts off strong, and really never lets up. It didn't feel like there were any slow moments, and the end leaves you wanting more. On the negative side, (light spoilers) (view spoiler) ...more
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

Each book in this series gets better and better. A little cliffhanger of an ending. They had a little of the next book in the series after this audiobook was finished that I hoped would say what happened next. But nope, it was a few days/months(?) later. I'm so interested in what is happening next that I'm going to read all of the novellas between this book #3 and the next #4. I think there are about 4-5 novellas. Good book/series.
Tori
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Favorite Quote: ”Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” “But not this time God. You had your chance.”

Jane Yellowrock, rogue vampire hunter and employee to Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, finds herself caught in the crossfire when were-animals decide to announce their presence to the mortal world. When Jane is attacked by 5 were-wolves she is grateful but mystified when her life is saved by the mysterious Girrard. G
alicat ♡➹♡
I am addicted to this series but I sometimes want to strangle Jane and do even worse things to the men in her life. RTC once I get back to a computer.
Urban Fantasy Afi...: March 2015 Series Read: Mercy Blade 12 21 Apr 10, 2015 09:50AM
Fantasy Aficionados: Jane Yellowrock Series *Entire* 76 93 Jun 25, 2013 08:05PM

• Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal

Jane Yellowrock (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)
  • Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11)
“Really sucked the red off of all my candy.” 32 likes