Start by marking “The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  3,356 Ratings  ·  331 Reviews
CAN I GET A “RAMEN” FROM THE CONGREGATION?!

Behold the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM), today’s fastest growing carbohydrate-based religion. According to church founder Bobby Henderson, the universe and all life within it were created by a mystical and divine being: the Flying Spaghetti Monster. What drives the FSM’s devout followers, a.k.a. Pastafarians? Some
Published April 7th 2010 by Villard (first published 2006)

Clay
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our pasta who "arghhh" in the colander, swallowed be thy sauce. Thy serving come, thy strands be wrung, o forks as they are on spoons. Give us this day our garlic bread, and forgive us of our starchiness, as we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss, and lead us not into Kraft parmesean, but deliver us from Chef-boy-ARGHH!-Dee, for thine are the meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever.
RAmen........

We propose a new curriculum for all classrooms. One that gives equal ti
Manny
Repent! Repent, I say unto ye, while yet there is time! Repent, O Goodreads Administrators, of thy iniquity and hypocrisy! For did ye not say, that all Holy Books shall be deemed anonymous of authorship? Did ye not say, that the Playing Field should be level?

And what, now, do we see, to our everlasting shame? The Bible and the Torah have ye marked as Anonymous. Yea, also the Quran have ye treated in this wise. But the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have ye marked as the work of His mort
David
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, humor
This is the funniest book I've read in a long time. Bobby Henderson is a young graduate in physics, and he did not like the trend he saw in science education. He wrote a letter to the Kansas State Board of Education, suggesting that if they require Intelligent Design be taught along with Evolution (which is "just" a theory), then equal time must be spent teaching his newly invented religion, "Pastafarianism". Let the students hear all sides of a controversy, and then let them decide.

Henderson gi
Maria
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بابی هندرسون مولف این کتاب به شکلی طنزآمیز ادعای پیامبری نموده و این کتاب را بعنوان کتاب مقدس خود" انجیل هیولای اسپاگتی پرنده" از جانب آفریننده ی جهان که با اسم "هیولای اسپاگتی پرنده" از آن نام میبرد، معرفی نموده است. وی دین خود را پاستافاریانیسم(پاستا+راستافاریانیسم(نام حرکتی مذهبی در جامائیکا که باب مارلی یکی از اعضایش بود) نامگذاری نموده و هم اکنون افراد بسیاری در سراسر جهان به ویژه آمریکا، آلمان، لهستان، مجارستان، سوئیس و اسکاندیناوی پیرو این مذهب طنزگونه و منتقد ادیان الهی و طراحی هوشمند می ...more
Todd Martin
The idea behind the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is a good one. It's modeled on the argument used by flat-earthers and creationists to try to get their nutty and intellectually dishonest ideas taught in the high school science classroom. If you thought they'd given up after the embarrassment of the Scopes trial in the 1920's you'd be sorely mistaken. Instead they've simply changed their strategy and have been pushing their inane message of 'teach the controversy' and 'present alternative theor ...more
Shauna
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTERISM
Have you been touched by His Noodly Appendage?
The truth is that the FSM is hidden all around us. And He's left clues like Italian-style bread crumbs to show us the path to His Eternal Noodliness. He's in our language—every time someone tells you to use your "noodle" they're unknowingly directing you to turn to Him for guidance.

I have mixed feelings regarding the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself. Its a difficult thing to decide whether the thought of being constantly tou
Robert Beveridge
Bobby Henderson, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Villard, 2006)

Can I get a Ra-men? The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is here, and pirates the world over rejoice. If you're familiar with the noodly one, you've probably got a good idea of what to expect here-- it's offensive, it's lowbrow, it's amusing, in some vague, distressing sense of the word. It is, overall, a parody of the Intelligent design movement, and as such, it is filled with pseudointellectual parodies of scienti
Anna Kļaviņa
I might have been converted to Pastafarianism after reading this Holy Book. This book is an eye opener! I'm only a bit hesitant because I hate strongly dislike a beer the holy beverage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's followers, however my boyfriend assures me that a ginger beer should be OK too.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's website

Ramen.

John Rhode
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book may be satire but there were times when I found it somewhat informative and to me this book made just as much (maybe even more) sense than the religious texts out there. I'm an atheist but if I were to devout my life to a god it'll be The Flying Spaghetti Monster (Praise His Noodliness) for He has touched me with His Noodly Appendage and showed me that the way of The Pirate leads to a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory.

R'amen
Josh Hanke
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What started as an innocent letter to the Kansas State Board of Education has now started the transformation of the world's non-believers into their once-loathed, faith-based, subservient counterparts. Sarcasm aside, this is an entertaining satire of religion for the open-minded reader of any particular belief. Some atheists have complained that this will not convert any non-believers and the condescending tone furthers the misunderstanding between the fact- and faith-based communities. I think ...more
Shockwave
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so blatantly the writings of the real Prophet of the One True God. Yes, the real and true God is the Flying Spagetti monster, and no one can prove it isn't.

It has much less wrong with it than the Christian Bible,and as we all know that that inconsistencies and mistakes are deliberately put in all holy books to test blind faith.

Pastafarianism is the fastest growing religion among the most intelligent people in the world today.

Keep up to date at http://www.venganza.org/

RAMEN
Brenna
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All points of view should be available to students studying the origins of mankind," said president-reject John McCain in a 2005 interview. The context was with regards to the teaching in schools of the theory of Evolution alongside the theory of Intelligent Design (ID). This statement made by the senator has since been obfuscated to represent all points of view, quite literally.

Including that of design by the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM). And, argues author/self-proclaimed-prophet Bobby Hend
John
Mar 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
While this book can be read solely for the sheer entertainment value, it has a much larger goal. It makes painfully clear what a farce all too much of dogma steeped religious thought is today. That said, it should not be taken too seriously; it is a joke with a purpose. If read in this light, it succeeds admirably in both cases.
Chris Cooper
What is a funny idea & gained a huge cult following for The Flying Spaghetti Monster, did not make a fun/funny read after a chapter or two. I was excited to read this & thought it would be really funny, but the jokes get old & there really wasn't enough humor to make a full book.
Nick Wallace
Feb 28, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crap. Thanks for pointing out that intelligent design is a con, Johnny Obvious. Another book that caters only to people who already hold the same opinion, in effect eating itself.
Arya Ptb
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, comedy
Meh, it was alright.

Our great prophet Bobby Henderson (sauce be upon him) has clearly overextended his literary talent. His first holy scripture, the letter through which he unveiled His Noodliness for the first time, is a delightful read. This book, however, was much too long for the seriousness of its subject matter. Let alone for having been penned by not the best of writers.

The book lacked a central theme and narrative style. Mostly it was in the form of weak pseudo-scientific and scholastic
John
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is one of the funniest things I have come across in a while. Bobby Henderson, a physics grad student, has ingeniously crafted a mock religion that effectively parodies the fundamentalist aspects of western religions (especially Christianity) that mainstream Christians and non-Christians find groan-worthy.
Henderson created the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, also known as Pastafarianism, in response to the recent trials over Intelligent Design a
Rachel Jackson
Mar 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone seems to love this book. I remember reading it years and years ago, but clearly none of it stuck with me then, and I almost wish I hadn't wasted the time trying to reread it now. The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is supposed to be a satirical take on modern religion, how anti-science people use religion to get what they want and brainwash people. I get it. The approach is there. But Bobby Henderson does it so painfully and annoyingly that this book was impossible to read. The h ...more
Greg
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and the religion that follows it makes a concise, undeniable, and scientifically backed case for the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster that has, for years had its doings falsely attributed to a number of false deities. Jam packed with testimonies and scientific proofs, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster joins the ranks of the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, or any other popular story book with an equally valid explanation for the universe as it currently exists. In fact, this expla ...more
Mike Michaels
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is Satire at its Finest.

I often laugh out loud listening to stand up, or watching a sketch, but only smile or giggle while reading jokes. Before I read this only 3 authors made me laugh out loud a lot while reading. This book right here made one of my favorite book lists, Mike's "Laugh Out Loud" book list. Right up there with the writings of Douglas Adams, Jon Stewart, and Steven Colbert, I laughed A LOT while reading this gem of a book.

Packed full of
Tyne
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult+, anyone with interest in parody religions or counterculture
A friend introduced me to The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It is a parody religion, something along the lines of Discordianism but more modern. The church's purpose is to expose the flaws in modern religious institutions and spiritual beliefs, with special emphasis on intelligent design.

I was surprised to find the book “Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” at my local library. It is a collection of topics and essays explaining the religion and its goals. Topics as varied as dogma,
Chedy Riahi
"إنجيل وحش السباغتي الطائر" هو كتاب يحاكي بسخرية حجج المدافعين على التصميم الذكي فيبين تهافت تأكيدهم على أن التصميم الذكي هو نظرية علمية لا تقف ورائها نظرة دينية للعالم. وحش السباغتي الطائر هو رد بوبي هندرسون على قرار كنساس في أمريكا السماح بتدريس التصميم الذكي كبديل على التطور سنة 2005 (و هندرسون يطالب بتخصيص وقت ممثل لتدريس نظرية السباغتي في التطور), وهذا الوحش هو نوعا ما قرين إبريق راسل (إبريق الشاي الكوني).

يفسر هذا الإنجيل التطور، ويربط بين التغير المناخي وتناقص عدد القراصنة (هم شعب وحش السب
Morgan
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who isn't close-minded or who appreciates humor
Recommended to Morgan by: My brother
This book is well on its way to become a favorite amongst the younger and the less uptight about their relgion. It was an absolutely wonderful commentary on the stupidity of religion and the arguments of it.

Overall, I took away: play nice and be friends. What a simple and wonderful message that everyone could do a little better if they only followed it.

My recommendation goes out to everyone and anyone. This book is a real eye-opener. However, it could be difficult to understand and is slightly
Sydney Miller
From now on my god of choice is The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He sounds bitchin'! Bobby Henderson is a genius, the topic of FSM is both hilarious and a huge punch to the face of organized religion. I laughed out loud in so many occasions while reading this, even in public! This book, be it fiction or nonfiction, is a work of art. Thank you to everyone that contributed to writing it, it is fantastic!
If you find organized religion as humorous and silly as I do, this book is going to kill you with
Jenny
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, I REALLY wanted to love this book, I really did. But it was hard to get through. I just didn't like some of the humor. I know this book is overall a parody, to poke fun of religions but just some of the terms he used and the humor was lacking. I dunno. I probably won't reread this again. I expected so much out of this and was sorely disappointed. Oh well.
Gökçen Okdere
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diğer dinlerin tanrıları neye benzediği belli değil. Bizim tanrımız kimi yerlerde görüldüğü için fotoğrafı çekilebilmiştir. Neye taptığımızın farkındayız. Bizi yaratan makarnavi uzunların dert görmesin tanrım! RAmen
Martin
The Spaghetti Monster is a nice idea, but it doesn't carry a whole book. At some point it becomes stale and boring. And for someone who doesn't need to be convinced that creationism is rubbish the message behind the satire is unneeded.
Brandon
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some funny points, but overall the book was extremely repetitive. The joke about global warming causing a decline in the number of pirates at sea, for example, wasn't funny after being repeated half a dozen times (rough estimate).
Scott
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not near as clever as it hopes to be.
Fadi Tibi
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
million percent convinced. overwhilming evidences and undeniable arguments. FSM is the true creator. Ramen
BEP090T12016: Religion! The Boiling Truth! 2 9 Oct 07, 2016 03:55PM
Literary apparitions of FSM 1 5 Feb 09, 2015 11:55PM
Is there anybody else who thinks Gospel of the FSM just goes to far? 7 129 Jan 19, 2015 01:23PM
I'm an atheist but... 4 44 Jan 19, 2015 01:19PM
Join my Church 1 35 Jan 17, 2008 05:18PM
  • Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion
  • Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
  • The Invention of Christianity
  • The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
  • The Improbability of God
  • Women Without Superstition: No Gods--No Masters: The Collected Writings of Women Freethinkers of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
  • Letting Go of God
  • Eeyore's Gloomy Little Instruction Book
  • The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
  • 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism
  • Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
  • Dating Jesus: A Story of Fundamentalism, Feminism, and the American Girl
  • Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment
  • Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • The Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Nonbelievers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound
Bobby Henderson is an American physicist and author, best known internationally for creating the "Flying Spaghetti Monster", a religious parody that has since spawned an entire mock religion embraced by critical thinkers all over the world.
More about Bobby Henderson...

“Disclaimer: While Pastafarianism is the only religion based on empirical evidence, it should also be noted that this is a faith-based book. Attentive readers will note numerous holes and contradictions throughout the text; they will even find blatant lies and exaggerations. These have been placed there to test the reader's faith.” 8 likes
“We are not saying that Evolution can't exist, only that it is guided by His Noodly Appendage.” 4 likes