Start by marking “The Silence of God” as Want to Read:
The Silence of God

The Silence of God

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,563 Ratings  ·  540 Reviews
From socialism to forced atheism, almost overnight -- Based on the inspiring true story of the only LDS family in 1917 revolutionary Russia.

The Silence of God follows Johan and Alma Lindlof and their eight children as they witness the glitz and glamour of Imperial Russia quickly dissolve into mass rebellion. The chaos ultimately divided their family and tested their faith,
Published June 4th 2010 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of God

Linda
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book; the story of the first LDS family to join the church in Russia. In fact, it’s the only book I brought here to Ukraine, other than my scriptures. I bought it the day before we boarded the plane last month to fly to our mission here at the newly-dedicated Ukraine Temple. Because I’m a missionary, I had no time to read it until I got laid off from the temple last week with the flu.

The story and characters were just plain flat. I got bored easily. And I felt somewh
Brigid
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
**I want to clarify up front that I won a copy from Good Reads' First Reads, so the edition I read was an uncorrected advance copy. As a result, things may change before it hits the shelves.**

I was excited to read this book because the subject matter fascinated me, but in the end I was fairly disappointed. The book is about the Lindlofs, Russia's actual first Mormon family, at the beginning of the 20th century. The start of the novel was clumsy, with the first two or three chapters merely backgr
Gayle
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this audiobook based on the 1917 Russian Revolution and the only known LDS family living in Russia at the time to be fascinating. I admit I didn't know much beforehand about Russian history and the revolution that brought socialism/communism to the country and I found it all very interesting. I especially liked how the author brought in comparisons between socialism and the law of consecration. Here's a favorite quote:

"Johan looked at her straight on. 'Neither Marx nor Lenin knows how ma
Sherrie
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This historical novel, based on a true story of the first and only LDS Family in 1917 revolutionary Russia, really touched my heart and soul deeply. What this family had to go through all because they refused to deny their religion and their God! I learned a great deal about the history during that era in Russia. And it brought back memories of when I was in Berlin, Germany a few years before the wall came down. I remember the cold, dark feelings I felt when I entered East Germany and the stark ...more
Kristen
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Michelle Cutler, Kasey Hansen
I loved this book. Set at the time of the Russian Revolution in St. Petersburg, the Lindlof family, the very first Mormons in Russia are faced with a crisis: give up what they know to be true, or save their lives by following the dictates of wicked men trying to overthrow their country. It is based on a true story and mixes a fictional story in with real events. The author has meticulously researched and noted the historical facts. One of my new favorite books!!
Danielle Larca
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
"'Neither Marx nor Lenin knows how this transformation will happen - how man will change from a selfish lout to a caring, hardworking comrade. They just believe that somehow it will.'

[Natasha] looked again into Mr. Lindloff's eyes. 'You don't believe that.'

"No. You cannot change a man's nature or behavior by outside means, Natasha Ivanova. There must be a change of a man's heart, and only God can do that.'" (p. 57-58)

In 1917 Russia, a current of unrest was brewing among the working class. The
Amy
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I was excited when I saw the advertisement for this book and I was not disappointed. I am searching the internet for more information on the Romanov dynasty and the Russion revolution. This is a true family and their life written in a historical novel. They are taken from their home and put into work camps because they are a religious merchant family. What faith they had through terrible trials in their life and country.
Tristi
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
When I was fifteen, I had the incredible experience of being able to go to Russia with a group of other teens on a tour designed to teach Russian teens about free enterprise. While there, we toured some of the huge cathedrals and learned the history of religion in the country, how many of the churches were destroyed or turned from their original purpose. Our tour guide explained how some of the churches were still operational as such, but not all. I was saddened to look upon these beautiful buil ...more
Kristen
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. Russian history is very intriguing to me especially the Bolshevik revolution. This book is about a LDS family in Russia during this time period and how they became a target after Red October because of their wealth (and belief in God).

Unfortunately, the characters were static and benign despite being based on real people. The writing was "Work and the Glory"ish. I don't enjoy that sort of writing but understand that others do. The main conflicts in the story c
Tammy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I anticipated loving this book because of all the positive reviews and my own interest in the subject, but it was not as engaging as I thought it would be. It was fairly slow in the beginning and the writing style did not pull me in and connect me to the characters.
Nevertheless, it was interesting and well-researched. I found myself wanting to know more about the history and appreciating all the footnotes. I was intrigued by the philosophies behind the revolution, the setting up of Soviets in
Emily
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting perspective on the Bolshevik Revolution and socialism compared with Gospel teachings about agency, the united order, and faith. The main characters are the Lindlof family, the only members of the LDS church in Russia, and their fictional neighbor and friend who joins the socialist movement and views religion as not much different from the fairy tales she heard growing up.

I never really studied Russian history, just picked up some bits and pieces here and there. Surprisingly, th
Taffy
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads

If you like LDS Historical Fiction, you'll like this book from Gale Sears. I'm glad I read this book. I haven't heard much LDS history come out of Russia especially during WWI. Gale Sears writes a moving story about a horrible and suppressive time in Russian history. LDS gospel and Russian history mingle to bring a rich story of love, sacrifice and the Savior.

The story loosely follows the Lindlof family, who were the first LDS Russians. The author does a good job of drawing the reader into lovi
C Hite
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Since this is a historical based fiction novel, I tried to read it like I read the Work & Glory series and realized that didn't work. Also, I kept trying to put it into World War II and that didn't work realizing this was Russia & not Germany & Hitler. Finally, when I got it in my mind that it was a civil war in Russia, with actual facts following a fictional character "Natasha" it became an unable to put down book. Would recommend it as a book to read for those interested in history ...more
Michele
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2012
3 and 1/2 stars.
I stopped reading Mormon fiction a long time ago because of the cheesy writing, but I have to say this book is not like that. I enjoyed it. I was fascinated by the Women's Death Battalion. That would make an amazing book and I think someone out there should write it. That was the first time I had ever learned about those girls.
I think the author tried to give you a good side by side of Socialism vs. Mormonism. There were liberties taken, but I think she was trying to give you an
Aneesa
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just finished. This is the story of the only LDS family in Russia during the Red Revolution, but more than that, this is the story of Russia. I liked that I could put this book down--since I tend to be an addict, this is a good thing--especially for my children. I LOVED learning about Russian history--so many, many things I NEVER knew about. This is a very good book. Some of the editing at the beginning was a bit choppy, but it seemed to get better as the book went on. Either that or I didn't no ...more
Claudia
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I highly recommend this book to readers that love history, and also love a faith inspiring read. This also is a great book to read to help you realize, how lucky most of us are, to live where freedom reigns. I can tell you that I will always remember this book and it's characters. This is based on a real LDS family in Russia during the 1917 revolution and the government did try to silence God.
Kirsten
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was a sweet story, but going into it I thought that it was a true story and yes these are real people and some of these things happened to them, but not really in the way it was portrayed. I think that the author should have included more of what was true and fictional about the characters in the endings of the chapters because I wondered about a lot of those things throughout the book. But overall I enjoyed the story even if it was more fictional than I originally thought.
Loni Spendlove
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning a bit of Soviet history along with the story of the first LDS saints in Mother Russia. There were so many characters and so much more I wanted to know, I wish it had been multiple volumes with more character development, more history, details about the outcome of the family and church in Russia and not such an abrupt ending.
Chris
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I really liked the history of Russia and the stuff about Lenin and Trostky and the Romanovs. I wished that there was more real data on the Linlof family. I did discover them in new.familysearch.org and they are all real people.
Sheila
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a very inspiring book. It makes you remember and realize the blessings of living in a free country. Gale Sears is a great author.

You can read my full review of this book at my blog here at

Stephanie
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting look into the Revolution in Russia - sometimes the LDS Fiction books are a little "blah" to me... but this one wasn't too "in your face". I hope that makes sense. I would recommend this to others.
Emily
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
An inspirational and educational historical novel about an LDS family in Russia during the early 20th century. The story of what this family went through is powerful. I also learned so much about Russian history that I had never before known or understood. I recommend it.
Victoria Winsett
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction and this was a great book. It is about Russia in the early 1900s during the Bolshevik Revolution. It is a true story about the first LDS family in Russia. Lots of rich history and interesting details are included. I really liked it.
Amanda
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like the history in this book. Its a sad history, but it made the story more real.
Brooke
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Russian history. Very interesting about the LDS church and it's early Russian members.
Kendall Nielsen
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Quick easy and engaging read. I have a tough time rating a novel higher than 3 stars they just seem so superficial regardless of how engaging they may be.
Allison
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an eye-opening book. I didn't realize what it was like during the Bolshevik revolution.
Angela Ingalls
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was inspiring and uplifiting, a story about one families struggles in Russia.
Frank
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great!!
Bettyjo
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a good story about an LDS family in Russia during the Russian revolution. A fun listen and I feel a bit more interest/compassion for Russian history.
  • The Undaunted : The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Before the Dawn
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • The Last Waltz (Saga of Love and War #1)
  • Trusting Jesus
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 8: A More Perfect Union
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
  • Seven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have Hope
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)