Jump to ratings and reviews

The Million Dollar Mysteries #2

Don't Take any Wooden Nickels

With a touch of romance and a strong heroine, Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels offers more of the fast-paced and suspenseful inspirational writing readers found in A Penny for Your Thoughts.

Working to provide quality work clothes to women who can't afford to buy their own, Callie becomes involved with one young woman trying to come out of drug rehabilitation—just as she's charged with murder.

What appears to be a routine murder investigation in her sleepy waterside village suddenly becomes complicated amid international intrigue, cutting-edge technology, and deadly deception. In a desperate moment at what could be the end of her life, Callie cries out to the God who is as close as a whispered prayer.

335 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2003

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mindy Starns Clark

46 books562 followers
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews
Profile Image for J..
490 reviews
September 10, 2014
The end got a bit melodramatic but by then I was completely caught up in the action. A great read! Mystery without the gore. Christianity without didactic preaching. Romance without sex. And a lot of action.
81 reviews
February 26, 2023
This book was okay. The heroine is supposed to be an experienced private detective, but in my opinion she does a lot of dumb things, which seldom result in negative consequences. Additionally, sometimes the writing style just seems basic, not well-written. I also thought she was too "chummy" with a potential romantic interest, allowing, and to some extent inviting, his kisses, when she wasn't even sure that she liked him beyond as a friend.

As far as the mystery itself went, there were some interesting twists and turns. I will probably continue to read the series, but they won't be books I re-read, nor want to add to my own personal library.

Profile Image for Cielo.
48 reviews
November 6, 2012

At last! The goal that was supposed to be fulfilled in the beginning finally happened in the end. It was so romantic. "Tom" <3 LOL

On the other hand, it was really interesting and thrilling. It showed the some of the bitter realities happening in the real world - good people blinded by power and wealth. It saddens me, seeing even the most respected heroes turn into one of the most horrible and despised villains. Though their capture doesn't usually happen in the real world, it is relieving to see people with hope (and very interesting imagination) show such things.

One of the most important things that I encountered in this book is a personal growth, spiritually. It may be illusional for me to say that one day I might face such things that Callie had but who knows? God works in mysterious ways that we don't even know when our hearts might stop breathing. Never the less, Clark has shown how God, even - especially in the most critical times in our lives, a moment between life and death, a fact remains - He is with us all. Callie was loosing all hope, seeing two officers shot by a trusted friend and a foreigner, she remembered and she clutch that promise with her very life hanging from a falling bridge. She chose to let God lead her whether to struggle or wait for help. She and I ended up seeing unexpected events.

A great sequel to "A Penny For Your Thoughts", "Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels" and its author does not seem to cease the page-turners and her fast-paced plotting.
Profile Image for Rev. Linda.
665 reviews
February 8, 2014
This is my third novel by this author, and I really like the way she combines mystery and suspense in an inspirational setting. This one involves international intrigue in a sleepy seaside village, along with a mysterious employer that the main character, Callie, works for but has never met.....sort of a Charlie's Angel idea. Very entertaining plot and loved the ending.
Profile Image for Julie.
1,197 reviews1 follower
December 27, 2018
Again. Good idea. Good plot. Interesting mystery. But not the best writing...

Callie gets caught up in helping a young woman accused of murder who was being helped by the volunteer organization she works for. What she uncovers turns out to be a horrifying crime.
Profile Image for Gerry.
1,101 reviews7 followers
November 11, 2008
Not as good as her other books but I enjoyed it.
I've got to find the next in the series anyway!
Profile Image for Lydia Howe.
Author 4 books72 followers
December 4, 2017
I didn't like this book quite as much as the first one, although I did like getting to know more about Callie, as well as meeting Tom. Because of course, Tom is the big reason to keep reading the series, right? Just because I'm so, crazy, curious about him. Who is he? Who is he REALLY?

This book deals with a really serious issue that made it just a little bit creepy at times, but I didn't feel like the author overdid it, and that's saying a lot.

At the end of this book I had more questions then I did at the beginning, and was thankful that the series was written a while ago so I could go right into the next book. I really like Callie and am thankful for the small ways she was able to make adjustments and change as the story went on.
7,308 reviews24 followers
March 8, 2018
Callie, comes into this plot again, from the first book. More about her boss Tom, and looking forward to meeting him, and the nightly phone calls. More about the organization she works with, and the question of going with another company to help them. Along the way she is trying to get a friend, and a woman they are helping to better herself, and right now she is in serious trouble. It all comes together in the end, and one is looking forward to the next Book and adventure,
Profile Image for Marian.
192 reviews
October 23, 2017
I probably wouldn't have read this if I'd known it was "Inspirational" but that aspect was fairly low-key. It was a fun book to read, the plot and pacing were great, as was the setting.
40 reviews
July 10, 2019
I can't wait to read the next one!!! And what an ending!!! 😍
1,293 reviews8 followers
February 14, 2020
I honestly wasn’t sure I would like this book, but I was very pleasantly surprised! Not only did it keep me n suspense, but had a very powerful message. Very well done!
Profile Image for Brooke.
1,174 reviews2 followers
June 1, 2021
2.5 stars rounding up. Callie takes some really stupid risks in this one.
Profile Image for Joyce.
656 reviews5 followers
August 17, 2022
Another great mystery as Callie uses her investigative methods to solve a murder while approving a grant for a nonprofit.
104 reviews1 follower
March 25, 2022
It was good! A well-done, tasteful mystery that was surprisingly Christian. I enjoyed it.
7 reviews
May 21, 2012
I liked this book more than the first one. I liked that they continued to focus on her job and I also liked the continuing side mystery of her boss. The murder mystery was more interesting this time around. The main character "callie" is still a little unpolished, but clark does do a better job of developing her character in this one. My only issue is that sometimes an author puts a character through many difficult character deepening experiences but yet the character doesn't seem as seasoned by their experiences as they should be. Clark does that with callie, callie is fairly naive considering all she has been through and experienced. I feel it would be more realistic if her character was a bit deeper, but other than that I enjoyed it!
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,901 reviews17 followers
June 23, 2009
This time we see Callie as finally meeting her mysterious boss Tom, however, he stands her up. She goes home without any work to be had and finds herself hot on the trail of a murder. She is working for a store for indigent women and meets a woman there named Shayna Greer. Meenwhile they find Shayna's boyfriend's body in the trunk of her vehicle. Callie feeling that Shayna had been put through a set-up of a murder goes to solve and exonerate her new found friend. Meenwhile, she is having a tough time trying to figure out her and her friend and boss Tom's relationship while exploring dating with another man named Kirby. Will she ever meet her mysterious boss? Read and FIND OUT!!!
Profile Image for Susan Ferguson.
959 reviews18 followers
October 26, 2013
Another good story. ? is supposed to meet her boss face to face at last. They will be in the same airport, she returning from a case and him going to a meeting. But a woman meets her instead and tells her he won't be there; he's had a family emergency. She's quite upset, but he hasn't left her any cases, so she helps out a friend she is working with as a volunteer and a young woman she's working with to get a job. Then they find the woman's boyfriend in her trunk and all kinds of things start going crazy.
156 reviews1 follower
March 26, 2010
Again I really liked this book. I love the ending! But you kind of get the feeling right at the end that it is going to end that way. This time the main character is in her home town with a week to relax because there is no work to do when a girl she has been helping get a job ends up being accused of murdering her boyfriend. Again the mystery is solved. hard to put down so when you read it plan on reading in one sitting. Can't wait to get the next one!
724 reviews1 follower
April 6, 2010
This is the second in a series recommended by another woman in the library bookclub. It is a cozy mystery with a Christian focus. This second book is much better than the first one. The murder/mystery was much more complicated and led to a conclusion I had missed entirely! The main character, Callie webber, is likeable although a little naive. She works for a philanthropist, investigating charities and delivering funds to them and finds herself in danger due to her desire to help others.
Profile Image for Kathleen Dixon.
3,554 reviews59 followers
December 24, 2010
A second enjoyable read in the Callie Webber series. Callie helps out at a charity that dresses women for interviews and then helps with a couple of outfits once they've secured a job (I can't remember what we call it here in NZ, but we have a similar charity), and a young woman she worked with comes in very distressed because her boyfriend has gone missing.

The book takes us along a very interesting line, with plenty of action, and more than a hint of romance.
579 reviews5 followers
October 16, 2013
Callie drove me a little more crazy in this with some of her reckless heroics. This started off a little boring to me, thinking how much of a story can really there Be here with this girl she barely knows and her missing boyfriend. Plus Callie is back to her home, which sounds like a pretty laid back, no action sort of place. Unless you enjoy canoeing as much as Callie does. I was glad I kept going. The plot thickened and the story picks up speed. I will probably read the rest of the series.
Profile Image for Mark Baker.
2,036 reviews148 followers
March 15, 2014
A woman Callie knows through a charity she volunteers with brings her into another mystery when the woman is accused of killing her boyfriend. Can Callie figure out what really happened? Another fast moving mystery that keeps the pages flying. The writing is still a little rough, although it is getting better.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Profile Image for Patricia.
2,909 reviews13 followers
September 30, 2019
I enjoyed this next installment of Callie's life. I enjoyed the characters and the twists and turns of the story. If it hadn't ended like it did at the very end, I would have been so ticked off. I look forward to book 3.

I enjoyed this book more than book 1, perhaps becuae I knew what to expect. This has a quiet quality and pace about it, lots of domestice or small details, but I knew what to expect this time around.
932 reviews1 follower
April 24, 2016
Thinking this was # 1 in the series instead of #2 . They are in a series but can sort of be read as separate but would be much better if read in order. I have done 2 and 4 now! Callie is a lawyer, PI and investigator for a man named Tom who gives grants to non-profits in need............Callie has never met him in person. She manages to stumble into murder and mystery.

Christian themes with the mystery and romance.
Profile Image for Ruth.
309 reviews
October 24, 2014
This book stars a lawyer/detective who works for a philanthropist investigating charities who apply for a grant from the foundation. If everything checks out, then she gets to give them a big check. Along the way, she keeps running into mysteries, and solves them while investigating the charities at the same time.
Profile Image for Michael crage.
935 reviews4 followers
July 1, 2010
This is the second book of the series. I liked somewhat better than the first, but the fourth is still better. It had some unexpected twists but they could have been thought of as possible if one thought the right direction. I always prefer unexpected twists to be possible in the context of the rest of the story, and they were. Her writing has improved over the first book of the series.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 69 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.