Start by marking “Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book” as Want to Read:
Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book

Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book

A child writes to the zoo for a pet. The zoo send a series of unsuitable pets, revealed behind flaps in the form of crates and packing cases. These animals are all sent back for different reasons, except the last one, which is perfect!

Dear Zoo is twenty-five years old -- and still as popular as ever!

And with an updated look, this children's classic is sure to delight a n
Board Book, 18 pages
Published May 8th 2007 by Little Simon (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Zoo, please sign up.

Miriam
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Original review, August 19, 2015

Huh, I somehow missed this excellent very-easy-reader when I was kid and only just encountered it as my baby niece had it. She handed it to me in exchange for my Michelin Must Sees Milan & Italian Lakes guide, which apparently I am not getting back. I did not get to keep this book, either. Babies are unfair like that.

Update, February 8, 2016

5 months later this is still a firm favorite with my niece, who wanted it read three times before bed. She has memorized
Anne
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like to lift flaps
Shelves: young-children
This is just the bestest Lift-a-Flap book evah!

This kid writes to the zoo, because they want a pet...
Hilarity ensues as the crates start arriving, and the kid ends up having to send the animals back.
They get a giraffe. (view spoiler)
A lion. (view spoiler)
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Classic favourite.
Bionic Jean
“Dear Zoo” was written as a lift-the-flap board book in 1982, by the Scottish author, Rod Campbell. It is his most famous work, and thirty-five years later, it is still tremendously popular among the under fives in Great Britain, and has been translated into more than a dozen different languages.

This review is for Dear Zoo: Noisy Book, which I think is the best of all the many versions and formats. It begins:

“I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet. They sent me an …”

and just as in the original book
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
My 2-year old niece will probably love this one.
Ellie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-book
I can't believe this was a new book when I first read to my children 25 years ago-they were babies! How fast time goes.

I remember this book as being great fun. They both loved it.
Chim Cụt
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CƯNG HẾT CHỖ NÓI!

Lần đầu tớ tận mục sở thị cuốn này là ở nhà sách Phương Nam. Thử một hai trang đầu, chúng tớ thấy thích quá thế là tớ quyết định... gập lại để về trên kệ luôn. Má ôi! Thân gửi Sở thú với tớ lúc ấy như món ngon phải để dành ăn vào thời điểm thích hợp, ăn một mình, ăn ngay, ăn trọn, ăn từ từ, ăn không ngừng nghỉ. Tớ phải canh me trên Tiki đợt Hội sách Online rồi mới được thỏa mãn cách đây đôi ba hôm gì á.

Đây là điển hình của kiểu sách nhõn vài chữ nên phải đọc từ trang cuối quay l
Camille
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I borrowed the words from this book and set the book aside for parents to look at and/or check out. Its much more fun when you're "reading" this with babies and toddlers and using something fun, furry and soft.
When I "read" it, I had a box marked "From the Zoo" (as if the kids could read it) and I would just say the same line over and over again:
"I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet..." (That's a direct quote from the book) and then I'd pull out a different puppet from the box and bring it to lif
Helen
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I've got a sticker on the back of my car that says "Dogs are for life, not just for Christmas" (What?!?! Ok, I'm one of those smug animal lovers who have naff, self righteous car stickers. And I couldn't say no to the animal charity where I got my dog from, when they asked me to stick it on my rear screen window.).

Regardless. Is it a bit hypocritical of me to be endorsing this book, based on my ethical beliefs that animals are not toys to be swapped, sold on, imprisoned or treated as inanimate o
Darcy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-h-books
This book is legit and I have been really into it lately—a surprise and a delight on every page. But I must admit that I’m a little confused by the premise. A kid writes to the zoo to ask for a pet? Can you do that? And the lack of specificity in the kid’s request leads to the zoo wasting what I can only imagine is an astronomical amount of money on postage. (I don’t imagine you can ship elephants and the like for, like, less than twenty bucks.) I’m only sixteen months old and I don’t claim to k ...more
Laura McLoughlin
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, board-books
Probably the toddler's favorite. He likes to make the animal sounds (on a related note - anyone know what sound a giraffe makes?). The 6 year old also enjoys reading it to him, so it might be my favorite book as well.

Shirley Revill
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, kids, pets, animals
My Grandchildren loved this book. Really entertaining read that children enjoy.
Louise
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute little book and my children love opening the flaps and shouting out the animal names.
Karen
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book Review 3

Rod Campbell

Dear Zoo

This story is a fun introduction to animals and their characteristics. It is written in the first person, with repetitive sentences. The nature of repetitiveness enables young readers to predict and engage with the story.

The story is written as a letter to a zoo asking them to send a pet to the reader. Each page has a flap which carefully hides the animal sent from the zoo and a written clue for example, ‘heavy’ or ‘danger’ on the animal’s container. At the end
Basra
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and interactive book, children will enjoy lifting the flaps. It describes they animals and explains why they would not be a suitable pet. This teaches children about the difference between wild animals and pets.
Children can guess what animals they think will be behind the flap and explain why, which encourages verbal reasoning. The book provides ample opportunity for discussion the children can talk about what animal they would like as a pet. The children will be asked to explain
Aisha
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book ‘Dear Zoo’ by Rod Campbell was a favourite amongst the children at my nursery. It’s a story about a child who writes to the zoo asking for a pet, and receives a number of unsuitable animals from them. The children at my nursery really loved the interactive ‘lift the flap’ element and would ask for this book to be read to them again and again. After memorising the entire story they would then be reading it back to me!
It was a great way to build children’s knowledge and understanding of
Westminster Library
There is a reason this book has been in print for some 25 years and counting. It captures perfectly what occurs in any family whenever a kid decides that they want a pet. This kid goes a little over board but hat makes the book even more heartwarming. The flaps are also great for little hands as they discover the surprises beneath.

Find Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book at the Westminster Public Library!
Bam
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute lift-the-flap book.
Zara Fagan
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this book. The pop-up animals seemed so real, I had to pull the snake's head off to stop it from biting me.
Jessie
Mar 15, 2018 added it
I read this to my toddler at least six times a day, so I think it should count toward my challenge goal.
Sadia Mansoor
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Such a cute lift - the flap book with adorable illustrations of the zoo animals ! ^_^
Matt
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bennetts-books
As he hasn't ruled out one day becoming a zookeeper, Ben found the premise of this book intriguing; a kid writes a letter to the zoo and gets free stuff. Sounds great, right? After all, he's currently unemployed and can't very well buy his own things, let alone afford a pet. Also there's flaps and those always blow his mind.
But as we read on and flipped the flaps he had some questions that kind of took him away from the story, like what are lions and how exactly does being fierce disqualify the
Juliana
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a super cute children's book that has flaps to reveal different animals the zoo sent to the writer. It all ends well and it's interactive for the child! I do think that the 'scary' animal was actually pretty cute.
Hilary
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rebecca-s-list
Seems like an awfully ungrateful kid to me.. but Rebecca loves flipping the flaps and now roars when she sees the lion
Kristen
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Home run!
Sarah Newman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-sh, hardcopy
This is currently the small human’s favourite book, with compulsory daily reading. I switch up the genders (except the lion’s!) because that’s how I roll 😁
DadReads
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A sadistic zookeeper attempts murder by luring a small child into close contact with a lion and a snake.

Simon
May 17, 2014 added it
You have got to ask some serious questions about the ethics of a zoo that will send a tiger(!) to you at the merest postal request. That's just cavalier at best.
Natasha
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kai-reads-0-3
The writing is pretty crappy in this book but the pop-ups are fabulous! You'd spend hours as an adult picking up the flaps to reveal the animal underneath, folded and cut in such a way that you get this delightful pop up that is pretty much wow. Kai obviously has slightly more discerning taste that I do and is not taken by frills and whistles (i.e., the pop up animals). The writing is mediocre at best and for a read-aloud, it's just terrible. Here's an example (off the top my head, because I've ...more
Oanh
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
We have both a board book and a paperback.

Baby loves them, and seems to make no distinction between board book or paperback. She's very good at waiting until just the right moment to lift the flap.

I am worried about the moral of this story. I do not wish for my Baby to (a) think she can write to a zoo for a pet, (b) think she can keep wild animals as pets (c) think she can return gifts ad nauseum or (d) want a puppy.
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • Clip-Clop
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Where's Spot?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Peek-a-Boo
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • That's Not My Puppy... Its Coat is Too Hairy