Start by marking “Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need” as Want to Read:
Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need

Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need

There is nothing as beautiful as a wonderfully-worked embroidery design, either used to adorn clothing or as an embellishment on a home accessory. Now a new generation is rediscovering the pleasures of the centuries-old craft. Written for beginners and experts alike, Stitch-Opedia describes in detail hundreds of embroidery stitches. Each stitch is grouped into sections tha ...more
Spiral-bound, 224 pages
Published May 11th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Stitch-opedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stitch-opedia

Carol
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love to embroider and have worn out two paperback copies of book with many different stitches. A childhood friend taught me freestyle embroidery when I was eight years old. I will never have to buy another embroidery reference because this book has it all. It is bound like a photo album and will be able to stand many years of browsing.

It is well organized with a table of contents and index. It is also richly illustrated and starts off with a short history of embroidery, has a great section of
Solei Dantés
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pensé que el subtítulo era broma, pero es tan en serio que es abrumador. Hay muchísimas tipos de puntadas y cada una con su explicación de cómo se hace y en qué se usan. Además, la mención de los tipos de bordado y su historia es una gran información adicional. Definitivamente algo para tener en casa como referencia.
Nonnie
2009

This book was reviewed by Sandy at QUILTING FOR THE REST OF US, podcast. The illustrations of the stitchery alone is worth the price of the book. I am very happy I purchased this book. I am with Sandy when she says she wanted more historical information about the needlework. I too wanted more information about the source of the embroidery.

I remember doing this type of needlework for my daughter on the heirloom dresses I made. THEN SHE GREW UP and wanted STORE BOUGHT clothes like the rest of
Kerfe
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, textiles
Billed as "the only embroidery reference you'll ever need"--well, maybe for some people, but I always like more than one point of view--it's not a bad place to start. The stitching instructions, and, most importantly, the visuals are clear and easy to follow. But what I like best about it is the set-up. The stitches are grouped in chapters talking about the particular style of embroidery they are associated with--blackwork, crewel, etc--and as a result they made sense to me in a way I hadn't exp ...more
Charissa Wilkinson
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, how-to
I received this book as part of the Goodread’s First Reads Program.

This book is quite interesting. I have been working through it for a couple of days, though now I believe that I’ll never finish my examination of this one.

I liked how Mrs. Kendrick showed the different styles of embroidery, and explained the stitches involved. She uses both written instructions and some diagrams of the in-progress and finished stitches. Add to this the patterns, and you get the perfect reference book for the emb
Liz
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I received this book as a good reads give away.

When it says the only reference you'll ever need, it isn't kidding. I've picked up my fair share of embroidery books, being self taught, I still have a lot to learn and I need plenty of pictures. This has not only plenty of pictures, but it goes through the history of embroidery, shows different projects from different eras, different techniques and give very clear instructions, pictures and diagrams that make this my new favorite reference book. H
J
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of Goodreads First Reads program.

I thought this was a very useful reference book. I especially liked the spiral binding so that the book can lay flat while it's being used as a reference. Lots of pictures and helpful diagrams.

I did notice a slight printing error with my copy - one section was repeated around pg 67. Being in publishing, I understand these mistakes happen and it didn't diminish the quality of the book in my opinion.
Julie Schum
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book from the Goodreads Giveaway.
I thought this was a really excellent stitching guide. The organization confused me at first but in the end I found it not only understandable but logical, especially in how it shows how the different styles of stitching overlap. I'm very impressed with both the illustrations and the instructions. The projects are also pretty appealing.
Mary
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just received this book and am intrigued by all the different stitches. I had never even heard of some of them. There are also about 60 pages of projects with pictures and instructions to try on your own. I think it truly is the only embroidery reference you'll ever need, as the title states.

In accordance with FTC guidelines ( which I just discovered) I did receive this book as a "win" from Goodreads.
Rachel B
Includes some really awesome examples that are super inspiring! However, as I'm a definite beginner (as in, I've never actually embroidered anything), I found this to be a little intimidating. I think I need to start with a very simple, beginners-only type of book.

I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads.
Bj Staehlin
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Excellent reference. I didn't do an actual count, but there are at least 100 stitches, plus about 30 projects to use them. There's some info on about 5 types of embroidery. I was going to sell it, but now I'm keeping it. Some people of a certain age may remember the Mary Thomas embroidery and stitch books. This is a combination of those, in color and with a spiral binding.
Tamara
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
The title might be true.

I was particularly interested in the freestyle embroidery chapter. I usually only use 3 different stitches for all of my work. This book has instructions for at least 60 in just this chapter. If I ever want to get more sophisticated, this is where I'll turn.
Reilly
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a first-reads giveaway.

Loved all the cool new stitches that I learned. Plus my little sister has recently gotten into cross-stitching and embroidery is her next step! Great book for anyone looking to start or continue their embroidery skills!
Amber
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
I did not know there were so many styles to use. It was a bit overwhelming but I enjoyed looking at everything and the pictures where wonderful. It was also organized well.
Tisha
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
This book is an exhaustive overview of the types of embroidery. I was looking for things like letters, not stitch types. Guess I'll keep looking.
Elizabeth
May 19, 2012 marked it as to-read
Nice that it has a covered spiral binding so it lays flat. Good reference for Tweens & Teens Friendship, Farms & Fiber Arts camp.
Amber
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome reference books!
Rebecca Burnett
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and thorough reference book in an easy to read and fun format. I'll be buying a copy to reference.
Rosemary
Nov 13, 2018
Julaine
Nov 25, 2018
  • The Embroidery Stitch Bible
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Doodle Stitching: Fresh  Fun Embroidery for Beginners
  • Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Jewelry Making: More than 700 Large Format Color Photos
  • Macrame Pattern Book: Includes Over 70 Knots and Small Repeat Patterns Plus Projects
  • The Jewelry Maker's Design Book: An Alchemy of Objects
  • Designing Bead and Wire Jewelry: Everything the Beginner Needs to Know
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • First Time Knitting: Step-by-Step Basics and Easy Projects
  • Crochet So Fine: Exquisite Designs with Fine Yarns
  • Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters
  • The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches