Start by marking “The Goblin War (Golblin Wood, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Goblin War (Golblin Wood, #3)

The Goblin War

(Goblin Wood #3)

Tobin has finally crossed back from the Otherworld, where he was trapped in mortal peril for months—only to be captured by the dreaded, bloodthirsty barbarians the moment he enters his own Realm. Meanwhile, the pretty hedgewitch Makenna and her legion of goblins are still trying to find a way out of the Otherworld before it fatally drains their magic and life force. To esc ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by HarperTeen

Start your review of The Goblin War (Golblin Wood, #3)
Jacob Wilson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilari Bell is a master of thought provoking fantasy, where the lines between good and evil are really for you to decide.
coffee
This book was amazing! Though not as good as the first. If I could read the first and the third without missing important information, I would. Alas, I can't. **SPOILERS**

The second book left off with Jeriah leaving for the south and Cogswhallop going into the Otherworld to save everyone (pretty much, though the priority was Tobin):

1. I'm SOOO glad to finally be able to hear Makenna, the general, taking charge and all that good stuff. I had missed her! Throughout the series she has changed quite
Shelby
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, I'm sure I'm biased, but I loved this book. Hilari Bell has a way of building stories that just sucks you in.

Over a decade ago now, I read the first book in this series, The Goblin Wood. At the time, I was under the impression it was a standalone book and it was fantastic. The characters had depth, they made mistakes, they had to make difficult choices and no one ever comes out smelling like roses. In short, they were realistic.

The plot moved at a good pace, there were no needlessly dra
D.L. Morrese
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The barbarians from the south seem unstoppable. Their death magic heals all but instantly fatal wounds. But the people of the Realm are reluctant to flee their lands to take refuge behind the Goblin Wall to the north, and after the treason of the high priest who supported such escape is revealed, there is little political will to make them. Enter our heroes: two brothers who are in WAY over their heads, and a young witch and her band of goblins. The Goblin Wood is a delightful fantasy trilogy, a ...more
Caty Willis
The Goblin War was alright, very YA. Jeriah's chapters always felt slow but I always looked forward to Makenna and Tobin chapters. There were inconsistencies between this book and book one, like Makenna's age. It's not a big deal, but it seemed kind of sloppy. Decent book, relatively satisfying ending to the series.
Ellen
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EXTREMELY FUN. If "The Goblin Gate" suffered from middle book syndrome, the third in the series has enough payoff to make the journey worthwhile. A very satisfying fantasy adventure, with a lot of good heroics. just great fun, I'm so glad I got to revisit and see more of this world.
Paige Gubler
It was good. Not great, but good. No language or mature themes or sexual content. The heroine was believable and relatable. The storytelling was well paced, and the writing was clear and simple. Good enough that I read the whole trilogy, although I think the first book was the best of them.
Orchid
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Valerie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
The Goblin War by Hilari Bell
Source: ARC from HarperTeen in exchange for a fair and honest review

The Goblin War by Hilari Bell (Third book in the series)

My summary:

While the Realm has been fighting with itself about what to do about the barbarians bearing down on them from the south, the barbarians have been growing stronger on the strange magic of the death amulets. Only Jariah, Makenna, and Tobin figure out what’s really going on. But will they be able to wade through the political mess left b
Samantha
5 stars

Tobin is freed from the poisonous Otherworld, but only to become a prisoner of the bloodthirsty barbarians who would love to make a meal out of him. Makenna and her goblins are still stuck in the Otherworld, unable to open a gate large enough to bring them all home, not with the land soaking up all magic, and all life. Their only hope is the spirits who have shown them no mercy. Jeriah has his own share of troubles, for the Relocation has come to a halt because of him, and so if the peopl
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid conclusion to the Goblin Wood trilogy, especially after a more lackluster book two. All the different storylines and plots were nicely tied together in a meaningful way - Makenna with the goblins, Tobin with his family, Jeriah with the revolution. Not to mention that I finally started to like Jeriah...his character definitely matured, becoming more responsible as well as less head-strong. I was particularly fond of his musings on being a hero (which I found incredibly tedious in ...more
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
Read more reviews at: http://readbookwormread.blogspot.com

The Goblin War was a great ending to the series, but for me left something to be desired. I realize that these books are aimed at a younger audience, but Bell set up two different potential couples and then left us slightly hanging. Rather unsatisfying. I wanted the love scenes I had waited two books for!

A definite plus about this book was the amount of action. In The Goblin Gate I said I didn't think a lot happened. Well in this book, lo
Erin
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, to-buy
I don't know why I don't just read all of Hilari Bell's books at once; they are as fantastic as anything else, and perfectly plotted, and...

Oh, I'll just leave you with my two favorite quotes:

"Without people like him, people who could deal with the consequences when the plan fell apart, the heroes could end up dead."

and

"I believe there are good people...whatever inspires them to do good is all right by me. I also believe there are people who do bad things--even a few who just are bad--and some
Rachel
I just finished this book and was startled to see that I had only given it 3 stars before.

I definitely upgraded it by one star and am considering adding another.

I really loved how this series ended. The characters I had come to love were all present and were still up to their daring schemes. What I especially loved is that Bell did not make it easy for her characters in this final installment. For every step forward, there was a new challenge to face. For every decision, there was a consequence.
Shelli Castor
Pretty good, although the first 100 pages or so were really slow. I wasn't really happy with how Makenna and Jeriah were not with Tobin for the majority of the book, but I do realize why it had to happen that way, and the ending was good. The plot really picked up after the first 100 pages and the story ended up being interesting. Really liked the continuance of the political issues and the action contained in the novel. Getting a look at the barbarians was good too. This is the last book with M ...more
Samantha Jacobus
It was a nice ending to this little triology, with a predictable solution - but there was enough entertainment and twists and suspense to still make it enjoyable. I'm still quite appreciative with the novel way Hilari Bell deals with romance - it's more of a suggestion than a theme, and the characters action's aren't dictated primarily by love or affection. It's added in as sort of an afterthought, that flavors the plot only slightly and isn't the focus of any scene. Or maybe I'm biased because ...more
anna
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think it's my least favorite of the Goblin Wood books, mostly because all of the obstacles and roadblocks faced didn't seem resolved in a very satisfying way. I have a black, black heart and I like to see irritating and annoying characters get their comeuppance.

And, as a person who hates it when romances are shoe-horned into adventure fantasy books...I actually wanted more Tobin/Makenna interaction. They spent 99% of this book apart, and I just wanted to read about them facing challenges toget
lostinabookbrb
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third installation to The Goblin Wood, The Goblin Gate concludes a fight over land and survival. The pacing, while I felt slowed down in the second book, seemed to pick back up with Tobin getting thrown into the mist of the enemy. It was interesting to see how it all came together in the end. I do wish there was a bit more information to what happened to the Realm afterwards.

Overall, I enjoyed this trilogy. I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy.
Ellen
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third volume in world-bending species clashing fantasy series by one of my favorite fantasy writers. It doesn't disappoint - too bad the series was so spread out, though, the first was published in 2003, so the audience for that book when new would have probably aged out of YA by the time this arrived.
Syd Dickson
I absolutely loved the first book in this series, but the ending wasn't all I'd hoped for. It just felt a little rushed to me, and it was fairly obvious where the story was going to end up from the second book, but it just seemed really disappointingly straightforward. I guess I just wanted it to be longer and more in depth, but that just goes to show how much I liked the series.
Dawn
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concluding book of the trilogy does not disappoint. All of the threads come together in a life and death struggle! Good series. I looked at some other books by Hilari Bell, but they didn't catch my interest as much. Have any of my friends read other books by this author which they would recommend?
sage
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, I especially liked "One-Eye" (yeah, I'm sticking with that name). I was expecting more including I loved the book The Goblin Gates. I never actually read The Goblin Woods yet it felt like I was so connected to this story. It disappointed me a little after reading this one.
Tammy
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
Probably 2 1/2 stars for this one. It might have helped to read the first two, but I didn't like it enough to go back and do that and I probably won't because there are too many other books I really want to read.

A longer review coming soon...
Tina
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
I almost want to give this three stars because the ending was so rushed it was embarrassing (and annoying), but the other 95% of the book delivered. The first book is still the strongest and my favorite, but I really enjoyed this one, too.
Hillary
This book had enough conflict throughout the book that it kept me interested. I must say that Bell still adds a lot of unnecessary details (I don't need to hear about every commander that Jeriah talks to), but the ending is pretty satisfying.
Danyelle Leafty
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf-2012
*sigh*

I kind of loved how Hilari Bell wrapped up this series. Goblin Wood is my favorite book she's ever written, but this one is definitely in the top three. O:)
Sonja P.
Good ending to an entertaining series.
Mikael
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped for a nit more romance, but I loved it as I loved the whole series. the first one is still the best.
Lydia
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goblins-elves
Great ending. Loved it
Craig
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy, making the whole thing not great, but pretty good. If kids can get through the glacial pace of the second book, they'll be happy with the resolution here.

• The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • Last Battle of the Icemark
  • The Cry of the Icemark
  • Blade of Fire
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy, #1)
  • Rise of the Dragons (Kings and Sorcerers, #1)
  • Austenland (Austenland, #1)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Part-Time Gods (DFZ, #2)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the pict ...more

Goblin Wood (3 books)
  • The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1)
  • The Goblin Gate (Goblin Wood, #2)

News & Interviews

“Makenna's "He does" clashed with Cogswhallop's "She does."
They looked at each other, and she saw the love in his eyes -- but he saw the truth in hers.
"He does," she told the Hierarch firmly.”
0 likes