Start by marking “The Sky Is Everywhere” as Want to Read:
The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  78,405 Ratings  ·  8,418 Reviews
Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Dial Books

Flat-Out Love by Jessica ParkOn the Island by Tracey Garvis-GravesLove Unscripted by Tina ReberReason to Breathe by Rebecca DonovanSignificance by Shelly Crane
Greatest hidden EBOOKS
1,473 books — 1,857 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenDivergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Men I Wish Were Real
1,612 books — 1,308 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Each time someone dies, a library burns.

First of all, let me just say that reading this as an ebook is a crime against literature and should be punished as such. The edition I’m holding resembles a diary with its worn cover, wonderful illustrations, little handwritten notes, blue ink and a rubber band holding it all together. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the prettiest book I’ve ever seen. If you can’t get your hands on a paper edition, wait until you do or you’ll be robbing yourself of
Lola
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s something about Jandy Nelson’s writing. I can name dozens of incredible writers off the top of my head, but Jandy Nelson is not only talented; she is original. She uses original figures of style and moves you in ways you didn’t expect.

Granted, you must be patient when you read her books, because she is the type to use more words than necessary in any given context. She loves describing scenes, characters and especially feelings, making THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE so very lyrical.

Normally, I do
Zoë
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 22/100 for 2015

2.5/5

This book really didn't do anything for me. I was expecting great things because of the incredible hype surrounding the book, but I was bored throughout. I felt like the romance between Joe and Lennie was WAY too sudden (He just randomly shows up at her house one day and then begins to invite himself into the house every morning with croissants? Also, they kiss and then a few days later they are in love?) and her ongoing crisis between picking Toby or Joe made me want to
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
After reading "I'll Give You The Sun", I was ready to read anything by Jandy Nelson!

Once again the main character was an artist and going through grief. That part I loved. I didn't care as much for the romance/love triangle but if someone usually likes YA Contemporary romance you should absolutely give this book a shot!

Overall I think it was impossible for this book to be as good as her other one but I overall enjoyed it. (3.5)
Brian Yahn
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jandy Nelson has a way with telling stories. They all come out more like works of art than books. Reading them is an experience of it's own, like dancing, but instead of your hands being on hips, they're on the cover of a book.

When I die,
tell me a funky story
just like this one
I can't help but love.

(Found on a message board, GoodReads, online)

The way The Sky Is Everywhere connects death with becoming yourself and falling in love is beautiful. All of the characters are crazy. They feel like they'r
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I fell in love with this book. Lennie, also called John Lennon by her friend/boyfriend and family, is grieving for her sister Bailey who died a sudden death. They live/lived with their Gram and Uncle Big. I really loved Gram and Uncle Big, they are some crazy cool characters let me tell you.

Through-out the book, Lennie writes notes, poems, thoughts on any piece of paper and lets them go, buries them, tapes them to things, throws them away in different places. Maybe someone will read them. I lov
~Tina~
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a ramble then a review, so bare with me.

After reading this book, my emotions were kinda everywhere at once.
There are a lot of different ways that people grieve when they loss someone they love.
Lennie unconsciously and purposely explores her sexuality with not one but two guys in her life. Joe is the new boy in town, talented musician and all around swoon-worthy while Toby just happens to be her sister boyfriend.
There is a very fine line to right and wrong that Lennie is treading
Adam Silvera
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
My Life is really happy with me for having finally read this beautiful novel.

P.S: I quit writing.
Larry H
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jandy Nelson doesn't just write books—she creates dazzlingly beautiful, poetic masterpieces of words and images, which leave you breathless and shaken to your core, your mind spinning. Her second book, I'll Give You the Sun (see my review), still holds a place in my heart and my brain almost four years after I read it, and it made my list of the best books I read in 2014.

I've always wanted to read her debut novel, The Sky is Everywhere , but I've held back, because it made me happier knowing
Tatiana
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of extra-emo YA
The Sky Is Everywhere is undoubtedly a beautifully written book. Its emotional prose and the story itself will resonate with many (female) readers. You have grief here, the main character's journey to live with it, her inability to sort out her feeling for two guys - her dead sister's fiancee, who understands and shares her feelings perfectly, and a new boy in town, whose sheer presence makes her forget her pain. A generous amount of passion will entice many too. But for me it never quite worked ...more
Emma Johansson
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have never cried over a book before. Never. This was one of the best books I've ever read, more than five stars. It was incredible, heartbreaking, so amazingly weird. Read it everyone, this book is a gift from god. A true blessing. Love.

I love joe. Such a beautiful boy. So different, so weird. I love the way he looks at her on her first day back in school, I love his name, I love that he's from Paris.

I love Toby. So sweet and also, beautiful, he does not measure up to joe though, oh joe, I th
Limonessa
Yesterday, searching for something "light" to read, I picked up The Sky Is Everywhere. Funny how I needed to relax and ended up not being able to put it down until I finished the last page, at 2am.

Lennie Walker is a teenage clarinetist whose beloved sister, Bailey, suddenly dies of a heart failure. This is the story of her journey through grief and loss, through teenage hormones and love, through family and friendship, in the quest to eventually find her true self and survive her sister's death.
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, overrated
I'm so glad this is over for so many reasons. I'm also really confused and disappointed. This was such a let-down, especially after reading I'll give You the Sun, which was an immensely rich and beautiful book. I don't understand how those two books can be so different, how one can be so impressive and the other one just weak. Anyway, I'm glad I read I'll give You the Sun first, otherwise I would have never picked it up, as this was the biggest disappointment. Here's why:

- I couldn't connect wit
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: A lot of my wonderful, wonderful friends

One of the funniest, most beautiful and most inspiring stories I’ve ever read about coping with grief and falling in love, about discovering oneself, strengthening the bond of friendship and sisterhood, and realizing who your genuine family is. I now clearly understand why so many of my friends have fallen in love with this book. I undeniably have as I have gone through all the symptoms of falling madly in love with a book.

♣ Inability to put the book down.
♣ Grinning like a buffoon and snorting a
Christy
4 stars

photo 8F350E26-8406-4AC3-B51A-FE77CC80D504_zpsrbjipppy.jpg
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. YA book #2 in 2016.

Jandy Nelson has this special writing style. It’s kind of odd (in the best way) and beautifully poetic. Her characters are a little out there and her stories are like nothing I’ve ever read before. The Sky is Everywhere is a powerful story of a young woman dealing with grief the best way she knows how.
“grief is a house
where the chairs
have forgotten how to hold us
the mirrors h
Nic
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Nomes
Favourite Quote: 'I look into his sorrowless eyes and a door in my heart blows open. And when we kiss, I see that on the other side of that door is the sky.'

This review is not going to be like normal because The Sky Is Everywhere is so STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL it hard to get the words out. So I thought I use some pictures to help express my thoughts.

description

The Sky Is Everywhere made my heart ache. The above picture pretty much sums up Lennie's life and also the way it made me feel while reading it. My emot
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I'M SORRY I JUST CAN'T DEAL WITH HOW PHENOMENAL THIS BOOK WAS.
Cait • A Page with a View
I know everyone seems to love this author, but I just couldn't get into the story. The main character irritated me, there wasn't much of a plot, and everything felt a bit disconnected from reality. There were a few emotional moments or ideas, but otherwise I didn't care about very much.

The book itself wasn't bad... just not anything I was able to enjoy.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
*Lowered my rating to a 3 just because I hated the ending so much.

I loved this so much for the first half but then I became excessively irritated with Lennie and I just couldn't handle it. Video review soon!
Katie
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was seriously so wonderful. It deals with grief in a way that was so spot on and beautiful. Jandy Nelson has this superhuman ability to articulate really hard to explain emotions completely perfectly and its just the best.
Sita
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ...?
Recommended to Sita by: Megan
Truthfully this really isn't even a review. IT's more of a list of questions and comments. SO if you actually like the book. I recommend turning away. Cause this is sort of a hate review.

HATE/STRONGLY DISLIKE
1) Screwed up love triangle.
2) Screwed up characters
3) Screwed up plot
4) I know that the character was grieving. But really?
5) Really?
6) Setting

ACTUALLY LIKE
1) Writing. It was really good and beautiful
2) Dead sister

OKAY
1) Concept (author maybe pulled it off)

See that was my hate list.
Arlene
Sometimes you must lose everything to find yourself.

Jandy Nelson’s debut novel The Sky is Everywhere is an absolute must read for YA readers. I breezed through this book in one sitting, and I’m still going over in my heart and in my mind all the emotions this book made me feel about the complexities of grief and loss.

Surprisingly enough, there were moments this book had me laughing out loud… literally guffawing and I’m not one prone to bursting out in hysterics, but Lennie’s analogies and mental
Kim
Oct 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Arlene
TBR Reduce Challenge #1- 2011: Arlene

I'm so so so sorry Arlene, but I'm in 50% and I still don't like the book. I really tried.

I don't sympathize with Lennie, I don't get her Toby thing, I don't feel her loss or her pain. It's like watching a movie without sound: you see what's happening, but you don't really get into it because something important is missing.

I wanted to like this so much because so many of my friends loved this.
Andie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In-freaking-credible!!!!! If I could give this book a thousand stars, I would! Review later :)
Dannii Elle
This was breathtakingly beautiful and heartrendingly tragic read! I had (wrongfully) anticipated this to be a cute Summer read full of angsty teen romance and not much else.

The story follows Lennie Walker as she attempts to cope with teenage life and its many multiplying predicaments following the death of her big sister, Bailey.

I immediately felt an affinity and empathy with Lennie as, just two pages in, she professed her love for Wuthering Heights; my all-time favourite book! My love for this
Whitney Atkinson
tissue count: 7

this book was so freakin fantastic, one of my new favorites.
like, up-at-1:30-AM-crying-because-it's-so-good favorite
grace
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so about half way through this book I felt like it was going to be a 2 star read for me. I had major issues with the main charter, Lennie, and how she dealt with a lot of things. Now I know people do crazy things in the face of grief, but her actions were hard to understand given that she hurt a lot of people in the process. Also, there was EXTREME instalove in this that was not believable for me.

Getting on to what I did enjoy:
Jandy Nelson is a fantastic writer, and she makes you feel for
Sierra
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Actual Rating : 4.5 Stars
This book was an adorable and loving short read. Even though I think I laughed more times than I was supposed to.
Lotte
*3.5/5 stars.
After I read I'll Give You The Sun last year and it easily became my favorite book of 2014, I obviously had high expectations for Jandy Nelson’s first book. And while this book met most of my expectations, it certainly didn’t exceed them.
Let me explain: Basically, I just didn't like and couldn't sympathize with the main character Lennie. There are your typical immature and puberty stricken protagonists and then there’s Lennie. She definitely took it too far. Some decisions she made
Reread 04/08 - 05/08 2015
Still as amazing and heartbreaking. I think I might've enjoyed it even more than the first time.

4.5 Stars!

Wow, in spite of my almost rough start with The Sky is Everywhere, I ended up loving it! So emotional and beautiful.

All her knowledge is gone now.
Everything she's ever learned, or heard, or saw. Her particular way of looking at Hamlet or daisies or thinking about love, all her private intricate thoughts, her inconsequential secret musings - they're gone too. I hear
The sky is everywhere ending help!! 20 600 Jul 05, 2018 10:08AM
Kaycee Petersen Book Review #9 1 1 Apr 20, 2018 09:50PM
Do you like this book? 2 8 Dec 13, 2017 11:26AM
Around the Year i...: The Sky is Everywhere, by Jandy Nelson 1 9 Oct 12, 2017 12:00PM
Does this book get better? 2 29 Oct 05, 2017 05:49PM
Crazy for Young A...: The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson → Start Date: September 11, 2017 26 31 Sep 21, 2017 04:27PM
비아그라 정품 판매 ((TK 5 5, OW, T 0)) 비아그라파는곳 1 1 May 25, 2017 12:04AM
  • Fixing Delilah
  • Invincible Summer
  • You Against Me
  • Chasing Brooklyn
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • The Nature of Jade
  • Moonglass
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Jandy Nelson, like her characters in I’ll Give You the Sun and The Sky is Everywhere, comes from a superstitious lot. She was tutored from a young age in the art of the four-leaf clover hunt; she knocks wood, throws salt, and carries charms in her pockets. Her critically-acclaimed, New York Times bestselling second novel, I’ll Give You the Sun, received the prestigious Printz Award, Bank Street's ...more
More about Jandy Nelson

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.” 1339 likes
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.” 1120 likes