Start by marking “The Whartons' Stretch Book: Featuring the Breakthrough Method of Active-Isolated Stretching” as Want to Read:

Whether you're a serious competitor or weekend warrior, you know that proper stretching before and after your workout can improve your performance, increase your flexibility, help prevent injury, and make you feel better. But did you know that the traditional way of stretching -- lock your knees, bounce, hold, hurt, hold longer -- actually makes muscles tighter and more pr ...more
Published July 9th 1996 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Whartons' Stretch Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whartons' Stretch Book

Start your review of The Whartons' Stretch Book: Featuring the Breakthrough Method of Active-Isolated Stretching
Rob
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can use keyboards without pain because of this book.
This book explains the reasons for several, if not all, repetitive stress injuries.
Before I found this book I could no longer play my synthesizer because I had
overworked myself to the point where I would experience throbbing pain for
two weeks or so, after playing for just ten minutes. It was a nightmare.
After reading the sections of this book that applied to me, I started doing the
exercises every day.

I can't remember exactly how long i
Justin
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stretching
This is about active stretching (flexing one muscle while stretching another) not dynamic stretching.
This could use better pictures/explanations
Kathleen Basi
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you read and are done with; it's a reference book that I expect to get steadily more dog-eared as time passes. The Whartons' method of stretching is called "active isolated," which means you stretch one muscle at a time by flexing the opposing muscle--and instead of doing long, intense stretches, you do multiple reps at 2 seconds each. This prevents the muscles from going into their instinctive protective reactions and makes them much more effective.

I have been using various s
Abhineet
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book gives very detailed level of stretching of the muscles present in the body. Good part is that the stretches are very well categorized based on your sport e.g. Running, tennis blah blah and even sedentary lifestyle. Bad part is that in some cases its hard to follow the instructions to stretch. Overall, a very good book if you are fitness enthusiasts and care about minute details of your muscles.
Joyce Calkins
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this logical, techniques of stretching. Already practiced some on my Bach. Good results. Looking forward to more.
Martha
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent how-to book for stretching all muscles of the body. The Whartons worked with the Olympic athletes of the Lake Placid games. This book is an excellent guide for all people who need to stretch their muscles for flexibility and strength. Injury prevention is the key with low impact. I'm using many positions for my Tai Ji Quan class. Highly recommend for those who are suffering from back pain.
John Harris
Jul 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
I was recommended this book by my chiropractor. I have followed the instructions and completed a full self assessment. I have developed a stretching program and now have to make sure I follow it. So far so good. The stretches seem to help and I definitely feel better after each session.
G
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Written almost casually with even more basic pictures. But I found the information worthwhile. I still haven't had enough self control to create a better workout or stretch routine, but someday my body will thank me because I know how. :)
Megan
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
All excercises are explained in detail with illustrations. I took a class from a former student of the authors. The stretches were very helpful increasing my range of motion with a frozen shoulder and relieved muscle spasms in my legs.
elbren
Aug 31, 2009 added it
The Whartons' stretch book : featuring the breakthrough method of active-isolated stretching by Jim Wharton (1996), 1st ed
Hope
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody and everybody
This book is OUTSTANDING. I've got a copy to keep on its way to me - The library won't let me keep it as long as I want to keep it :)
Davis
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stretch techniques in this book really do work.
Jun 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Their program of stretching takes an hour a day, every day. I don't care what benefits they claim, no one will be able to stick with it.
Debs

• Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis--Lessons from a Master
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Adventurer's Son
  • What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
  • Break Point: SAS: Who Dares Wins Host's Incredible True Story: The Perfect Summer Read
  • How to Write a Business Plan
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • Dr. Kellyann's Cleanse and Reset
  • By and By: Charles Tindley, the Father of Gospel Music
  • How Charts Lie: Getting Smarter about Visual Information
  • The Angel and the Assassin: The Tiny Brain Cell That Changed the Course of Medicine
  • The Motivation Manifesto
  • Simple Marathon Training: The Right Training For Busy Adults With Hectic Lives
  • Small in the City
  • The Scientist and the Spy: A True Story of China, the FBI, and Industrial Espionage
  • A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success