Start by marking “A Boy and His Bot” as Want to Read:
A Boy and His Bot

A Boy and His Bot

When young Code falls down a hole while following a mysterious robotic insect, he lands in a world that defies all imagination. Everything in Mekhos is made from metal and circuitry, including the citizens-who happen to be robots. To find his way home, Code must first cross Mekhos's bizarre and dangerous landscape to reach the Beam Stalk. There, an artifact known as the ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about A Boy and His Bot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy and His Bot

Start your review of A Boy and His Bot
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Boy and His Bot by Daniel H. Wilson is a middle grade science fiction/fantasy book that is very delightful. There is lots of robots creatures, a robot town, friendship, enemies, action, and growing up. Kids will love this book, happy ending and all.
Benjamin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Daniel H. Wilson knows how to write about robots. From How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion to Robopocalypse , he has taken the same material and re-packaged it in different forms. The tongue-in-cheek “guide” ofHow to Survive a Robot Uprisingwas more entertaining than the journal-entry styledRobopocalypse, but mostly because of its humor. InA Boy and His Bot, Wilson takes his knowledge of robots and wraps it in a children’s fantasy book. ...more
Rachel
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this was a juvenile book that I was lured into reading because of Daniel H. Wilson. While I was a bit apprehensive about this at first, I really loved it. The story was good, the world portrayed was vivid, and I plan to recommend the book to friends with geeky preteens.
Alex Shrugged
This is a children's book, probably early teens or younger.

The story: It is somewhat like a modern Alice in Wonderland where a boy accidentally finds himself in a different world with strange and at times comical dangers. It is his job to save this world from two destructive forces, one that will dissolve all robots and another that will enslave humans both in this artificial world and in the real world.

Any problems with the book? Nothing serious. The narrative is inconsistent, but I doubt
Lin Ryals
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collin
This is one of my favorite books. I've read it twice now. This could loosely be considered a boys version of Alice in Wonderland -- loosely though. It's fun to read. I think my least favorite part would be the dinner scene. I won't give away spoilers. There are some embarrassing parts that are difficult for me to get through. However, there are definitely some cool parts, like the desert. Anyone who touches it is eaten within seconds by nanobots. The most exciting action packed part is the final ...more
Akoss
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-mg, colorinyamg
A young boy named Code is drawn into a world of robots which very existence depends on the human world not ever knowing that it actually exists. In his attempt to find his way back, Code discovers truths about his family especially his grandpa who had gone missing in the past.

This book was a mishmash of science fiction parody and fairytale retelling.
It’s a short book packed with action and the dialogue is a lot of fun. However I couldn’t help feeling like something was missing and that the plot
Avery Ellison
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
They story was not complex but there are some things that would be worth talking about with upper elementary readers if they are curious about AI and mechanical engineering. Overall, there higher quality books on the market to serve this purpose. The writing quality simply was not there and the plot was not complex.
Readergirl77
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nathans-shelf
Nathan really likes this book. He read it all on his own. He liked a lot of the characters like Gary the Slaughterbot, Peep who is a bird robot, and Code Lightfall. He calls it a rescue adventure story and he thought it was a great book.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
While on a school field trip, Code stumbles across
a small robot that leads him into a mechanical
world inhabited by robots.
The language and sentence structure used
is a little immature and needs development.
Trina
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book. The author seemed to forget he was writing about "a completely unnatural"/"man made" world half the time.

Also, page 13. Peep, supposedly urging Code out of the cave, flashes blue, then gold. Then all of a sudden Code knows exactly what the color changes mean!

----"The bee purred and flashed to a bluish color, then quickly turned back to gold. Code was starting to figure out his new companion: blue meant sad and gold meant happy."----

Now, he has had very little time
Charli
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, audio
SLJ review:

Gr 4–7—Daniel H. Wilson's fast-paced tale (Bloomsbury, 2011) is about traditional values, friendship, and hope. Young Code Lightfall, a bullied loner whose grandfather went missing a year ago, is an unlikely hero. He discovers his inner mettle during a field trip when he follows a small robotic insect, Peep, through a hole in the ground and into the land of Mekhos, a robot world. Once there, parallels to the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland are clearly
Seth Heasley
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Daniel H. Wilson's first foray into juvenile fiction is full of whimsy and charm and comes with one of the more delightful characters you'd ever want to read: Gary the Atomic Slaughterbot. Just check out this encounter between Code Lightfall and the threatening Gary as Code realizes that he can order the bot around:

"Wait. You're my atomic slaughterbot?"
Gary paused. "That's right. And who are you?"
"I'm Code, and I need to ask you for a favor."
"Anything for you, Code." Gary waited for Code's
Tom
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Listened in the car on audiobook with my family. If I was reading it on my own, I'd never have gotten through it. I know people who know Daniel Wilson, so I wanted to give this a try, even though it didn't look my style. Yeah, even worse than I thought. It was like a mix of The Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, The Neverending Story, and things like that. But I like those, and I disliked this. It just didn't work for me at all.

Nothing really offensive here. Since Wilson actually knows robotics (PhD and
Matt
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can never understand why some books click children and the greater reading community at large and others do not. This one is a little on the complex side and may be hard to follow for some children, but the same can be said for most of the Harry Potter series.

Anyway, the main character, Code, gets transported to a robot wonderland when checking out an Indian burial mound on a school field trip. His granfather had disappeared there years earlier and finds that he too has become a prisoner of
The Styling Librarian
A Boy and His Bot by Daniel H. Wilson – 4/5th grade and up – Science Fiction – I listened to this book because it recently popped up on a review list. I enjoyed actually listening to a solid science fiction book that had a fascinating robot/technology world and an interesting adventure. I loved the angst and decisions that Code has to grapple with throughout the adventure. I was curious how this book would conclude because the author kept you listening/reading until the last moment and then ...more
Jeff Raymond
YA book by the scientific mastermind Daniel H Wilson, possibly best known for his book Where's My Jetpack? This was an interesting, differently-styled read about a boy who follows a small...something into a hole and ends up in a robot universe where his grandfather disappeared to and where an evil robot, Immortalis, is looking to begin the "Disassembly" and end the world that they're in.

It's a humorous sci-fi adventure, with a lot more action in the story than I had expected. Far from perfect,
Lara Goldstein
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted (and expected) to greatly enjoy this book, but it ended up being a huge disappointment. I would be tempted to blame the narration of the audio book (certain character voices were quite annoying), but my main frustration was with the book's conflicted logic, stereotyped characters, and preachy "kid lessons." I think the author was trying too hard to write a "kid" book, instead of focusing on writing a good story that all readers would enjoy. If you want to read something lighter by an ...more
Ruth
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
My 9yr old boy really enjoyed this book so I had to read it. Lol. For me it was a little harder to get into the story. I kept getting lost as to what was going on, maybe cause I'm not into robots But about 3/4 of the way I quickly read through to the end. I was really surprised at the ending. An ending that was totally unexpected yet enjoyable. I do like how his self esteem improved and bully's couldn't bother him any more. A great book to help a child with their self esteem.

Teaching/
Kay Leslie
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-fantasy
Not my kind of book but I could see where a 4th or 5th grader really into robots would love this book. But it is a well written story with a very interesting ending.
Code Lightfall goes on a field trip to the ancient mounds in Oklahoma. There is finds the entrance to the world of Mekkos, which is completely made up of robots. He travels through this world on an adventure to help save the robots from "disassembling".
Matt
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A nice little story about a boy who is transported to an alternate world of robots. I liked the main characters Code, Peep, and Gary the slaughterbot. A Boy and His Bot is a nice adventure story with some fun scenes. I enjoyed reading it and wouldn't mind seeing Code Lightfall some more in the future.

Good book.
Stacy
Started slow for me (typical grandpa-goes-missing-and-misfit-kid-goes-looking-for-him-only-to-fall-into-secret-magical-world-that-only-he-can-save storyline), but gradually picked up steam and finished strongly. I really loved Gary, whom I can only describe as a cuddly slaughterbot, if there is such a thing. Solid sci-fi recommendation for grades 4 and up.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a highly unusual book, with shades of WALL-E, HITCHHIKERS' GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, Asimov's robot stories, all mixed together with strong doses of humor and adventure. I read it aloud to my six-year-old, who was probably a bit young for it, but who loves robots and thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know that he'll get a bigger kick out of it, reading it for himself in a couple of years.
Rebecca
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This book is hilarious. It's kind of like Stone Soup because you can find a little bit of everything in the book! So far I've figured out that it is made up of Peter Pan (tinkerbell), Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars (the Jawas robot factory), Percy Jackson, Jack and the Beanstalk, Amlia Earhart's Electra airplane, and Star Trek (Nomad episode).
Matt Piechocinski
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this, but even if I were the age group at which it was aimed, I would think this outing by Wilson kinda lame. Definitely start out with Robopocalypse or Amped ... especially the latter.
Kaulin
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that it was very well written from cover to cover. It was very action packed & didn't loose my interest in any part of the book. It was very well constructed, it was very organized. I just really liked it! It was the perfect length too.
Mary
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good science fiction for a younger reader. I actually listened to this book and the narrator made it even better.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Great for 3rd-5th grade boys that loved to play with Transformers when they were younger and/or are really into technology.
Brad Kelln
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Kind of fun but more like a little kid book.
PWRL
Mar 11, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Laurie
Listened to this with my boys. They loved it. My oldest (3rd grader) said he would happily re-read this.
It was cute. Sometimes I thought the descriptions got to be a bit much.
Bioshock 2 Companionship type of Books 1 1 Jul 04, 2017 08:20PM

• Three Laws Lethal
  • FantasticLand
  • Here and Now and Then
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • Homefront: An Expeditionary Force Audio Drama Special (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Deathtrap (Mavericks, #1)
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • Ancient Among Us (Battle For Forever Book 2)
  • Pawn (Sibyl's War, #1)
  • Augmented
A Cherokee citizen, Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives in Portland, Oregon.