Start by marking “I Dream of an Elephant” as Want to Read:
I Dream of an Elephant

I Dream of an Elephant

From the author–illustrator of Abbeville's Big Cat, Small Cat comes another rhyme–completion concept book, teaching children about colors through bright landscapes of loveable elephants.

I Dream of an Elephant takes readers through a wondrous world where they will encounter elephants of many colorful shades that sing, dance, and play. Each page's descriptive sing–song text
Published May 4th 2010 by Abbeville Kids

To ask other readers questions about I Dream of an Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Dream of an Elephant

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Fetch by Adam Glendon SidwellGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Toddlers Ages 1-3
168 books — 90 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil GaimanGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Sleepy Titles
554 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of I Dream of an Elephant
Sandra
I dream of an elephant is written in a smart rhymed way. In each page the reader dreams of an elephant of different color, and the last word of the paragraph, that is always the color, is missing. Since the text seems singed it easily induces the kids to shout the last word. It's a very interactive book, and this is definitively the best thing about it. Elephants of eleven different colors are portrayed. The pictures are very simple and, of course, very colorful. Excellent choice for toddlers.

Allison
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rhymes, elephants, and gorgeous pictures---what's not to like? Because of the rhyming (and the pictures), Jordan was able to finish each line in the book, and because of the word patterns, Jordan was able to retell this story to her baby brother. The reading teacher in me LOVES that! The pictures really were interesting and beautiful; wish I could get a few prints for Jordan's room. This one might need to make its place in our home library.
Katie
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is perfect for storytime, especially if it's a crowd you know will interact with the book. Kids won't be able to resist answering the book's rhymes!
Jessica
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The structure of this book invites the reader to engage right away by inviting the reader to identify the color of the elephant on each page. I great title for toddler storytime.
Vivian
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The four stars reflect the enthusiastic response the library story time crowds gave this book.

Here's a teaser...
Double-page spread number one shows a blue elephant "Jumping and playing the whole morning through!" (left page) ... I dream of an elephant whose color is ... (right page). Children provide the answer.

This is a winner in so many ways. It's "predictable" due to the RHYME. It exposes children to rhyme. Studies show that when children are able to detect rhyme they are more ready to
Tammy W (TexasTammy)
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

My Thoughts:

Adorable!! I admit the cover of this book does NOT do it any justice at all. I was not expecting much but this book is simply adorable. I Dream on an Elephant is: Rhyming and interactive, colorful and creative, just the perfect length. This mom of six is past the picture book stage but my seven year old daughter loves it anyhow. I highly recommend this great book.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-tales
Kind of gives me a "Heffalumps and Woozles"/"Pink Elephants on Parade" vibe. Each page is a rhyming verse that prompts kids to name the color at the end ("Friends all around, what a popular fellow! I dream of an elephant whose color is . . ."). Would work for teaching rhymes and/or colors, though the concept itself is a bit whimsical and bizarre.
Beronica
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book for storytime (ages 2-3) which focuses on practicing rhyming and colors. I would make the suggestion of skipping the "Brown Elephant" portion (describes the brown elephant as "lazy and large").
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
I really liked the art in this book. It was very colorful and each elephant had its own personality.
The kids had fun naming the colors based on the rhymes before I showed them the color.
Patti Pylant
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, colors, animals
Great when doing Colors theme - borrow
Kelly
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOVED the illustrations and color schemes. And the rhyming little story is very charming.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
The narrator dreams of elephants of all different colors and varying personalities. Very cute and colorful story, also both simple and funny.
Brindi Michele
elephants, colors and fun :)
Fun rhyming text about introducing colors. The illustrations are beautiful and the whole book has a calm, happy feel to it. This one will make a great flannel story.
Heather
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Somehow the colors of this children's book is inspiring.
Judy
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a popular book for Toddler Storytime. It's great way to engage young readers.
Liane Marie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

Category: Hardcover (English)

Hebrew Title: פילים בכל הצבעים

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: In this book from Ami Rubinger, author and illustrator of “Big Cat, Small Cat” and “Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10,” we learn that elephants are a colorful bunch.

Bilingual benefit: This book introduces colors through whimsical illustrations and verse that requires the reader to complete the rhymes. Like many of Mr. Rubinger’s books, this particular one is available in both English and Hebrew. Our toddler is able
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a fun story for the little ones that allows them to learn colours as well as rhyming. Each two-page spread has an open-ended rhyme which the reader needs to guess on their own. There is an elephant that is doing something and the answer, which is not actually part of the text, is hinted at in the illustration. The book is full of beautiful and entertaining illustrations of elephants of various colours participating in different activities. This little concept book is a fun way to help ...more
Christian
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and adorable story for the little ones that allows them to learn colors as well as rhyming. Each verse leaves out the very last word so that the children can guess it. Clues are provided by way of the rhymes and colors on each page. Each page is full of beautiful and entertaining illustrations of elephants of various colors participating in different activities.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I imagined myself reading it to a group of children that would guess the
Melissa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once again, rhyming couplets are used to tell a tale of dreaming of different colored elephants...with the color left off each page so that the child being read to has to shout out the answers. I love this type of interaction in storytelling, and the children get to learn their colors and rhymes.

While I haven't cared for Ami Rubinger's illustration style in her other books, here I found the elephants to be quite charming and friendly-looking. And all of the bright colors were obviously necessary
Nicole
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Looking at the cover of this book I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it. However, after flipping to the second page, I fell in love. The second page is all browns with pastel colored trees, flowers, and elephants. It is absolutely gorgeous. I Dream of an Elephant is a cute book where one page rhymes with the next as long as you can guess what color the elephant is. Not only is this a nice book to look at and a fun book to read, but it makes your child interact with it as they name off ...more
Gphatty
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, picture
Cute illustrations and fun story. But, even better, are opportunities for using this book. Each section depicts a different color elephant -- including pink, orange, and brown -- with a different rhyme to clue in readers/listeners as to what the color should be. Great for teaching rhymes or colors, and, if done well, it could be a lead-in to talking about dreams. Great multi-purpose book for very young children.
Paul  Hankins
Oh what to do when the orange elephant won't lend itself to the rhyme scheme set up by Rubinger in this delightful book. . .

Just dream of it later.

In the meantime, elephants of different colors are described with an invitation for the younger reader to fill in the blank with the intended color of the elephant making I DREAM OF AN ELEPHANT a natural pick for reading aloud with a younger reader.

Elephants skip, play, dance, make music, or just hang about with their friends.

Emily
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I Dream of an Elephant is a picture book that focuses on colors. The story is told in rhyme and the last word is left out so that the child can guess what it would be. I loved the illustrations! The main color on the page is the color that is focused on at that time. I had my elementary age boys read the book and they enjoyed it. It's geared more toward younger children, but it is appropriate for older children to practice their reading.
Julie Barrett
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I Dream of An Elephant by Ami Rubinger
Pub Date: March 22, 2010
ISBN: 9780789210586
Illustrated, very colorful children book.
This is the type of book that allows the child to fill in a blank with the answer they want.
The choices are usually a color and the colors of the items in question are shown. You can point to them.
Follows an elephant through their day, flowers, other animals, different forms of weather,
Can even be used a counting book.
Maria
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic picture book filled with colorful illustrations and fun text. I used this book in a pre-K story time, and the children loved the colorful elephants on each page. If you use this book in a group setting, be prepared to have a room full of attentive children shouting out the colors as you turn the pages.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author/illustrator, Rubinger makes learning colors tons of fun! Each two-page spread is dedicated to a different color and a frolicking elephant who offers a rhyme, "Watch out flowers, she's skipping ahead. I dream of an elephant whose color is..." Preschoolers will delight in finishing the rhyme and will look forward to turning the page to see which color is next.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Ok, I'm probably reading way too much into this, but I have to admit that it bothers me that the brown elephant is lazy and does nothing while the pink elephant is a lousy dancer. Is this perpetuating racial stereotypes or am I way too sensitive? (I should say that this is based on reading the Hebrew original. I haven't read the English translation)
Tracy
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun little book. My daughter had fun reading it to me in the car this morning. Since this is a little kids book the story is very simple, and you learn about different colors. I think that this is a good book for toddlers since it is short and the pictures are very colorful and will catch a younger childs' attention.
Carol
Each two-page spread has an open-ended rhyme which the reader needs to guess on their own. There is an elephant that is doing something and the answer, which is not actually part of the text, is hinted at in the illustration. This is a book all about colors so the reader knows that every answer is a color. This little concept book is a fun way to help small kids identify and say various colors.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Orange Pear Apple Bear
  • Dragon Gets By
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
  • Back to the Future
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • There Was an Old Mermaid Who Swallowed a Shark!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • There Was an Old Giant Who Swallowed a Clock
  • Captain Marvel Little Golden Book (Marvel)
  • Attack of the 50-Foot Fly Guy! (Fly Guy #19)
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Little Ducks Go
  • Unhappy Birthday, Grumpy Cat! (Grumpy Cat)
  • In The City
  • This Little Light of Mine (Raffi Songs to Read.)
  • Tick Tock