Start by marking “Fantastic Four, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four, Volume 2

Fantastic Four, Volume 2

(Fantastic Four (1998) #575–578)

Featuring the return of the Mole Man, the architecture of the underworld and the smartest Moloid you'll ever meet. Watch as the First Family journeys to the moon where they learn that the history of the Inhumans runs much deeper, and richer, than previously believed.
Collect: Fantastic Four 575-578
Published July 14th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four, Volume 2

Start your review of Fantastic Four, Volume 2
Dan Schwent
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, comics
The High Evolutionary's abandoned subterranean city will soon rise and the Mole Man comes to the Fantastic Four for help. A lake beneath the Antarctic ice cap is threatened by AIM, who wishes to exploit its secrets. And what are the Inhumans up to on the Blue Area of the moon? All of this and more will be addressed in Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman - Volume 2!

I wasn't completely sold on Hickman in the first volume but I thought I'd give him another chance. The Fantastic Four have been my fav
Artemy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
A shorter collection of four one-shot stories that interconnect into one big plot towards the end of the volume. Crazy fun cosmic sci-fi is what Hickman excels at, and this volume is the perfect example of that. Very intriguing setup, let's see where it goes next.
Donovan
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

"Susan of the Richards, Susan of the Storm... Envoy of man and emissary of the peak."

This is a fantastic exploration volume! Into the earth, below the sea, out to the moon, into the Negative Zone. It's super, funny, light, some dark, and supremely illustrated.

My favorite parts...
Sue making herself the emissary of humankind. The Human Torch in flaming cowboy boots and hot pants swimming in ice water. Ha! And Reed saying "This is a very cool place you've got here" in Antarctica.
Jesse A
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely a middle volume. Set up alot of cool ideas with no payoff in this volume. Still enjoying the heck out of it though.
James DeSantis
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I'll be the first to admit the Fantastic Four has NEVER been a series I much enjoyed. I still haven't found a great book yet but the first volume was good enough that I figured I'd try the 2nd volume in Hickman's long running series.

James DeSantis

So of course the storyline becomes bigger in scope as we go to new places. The story starts with moleman visiting our fantastic family and wanting them to come underground with him. Then we go to a new Atlantis, or so they claim. And Johnny does some dumb shit as al
Adam Spanos
I'm going to assume you've read volume 1 of Hickman's Fantastic Four run. That was a good book, and is enjoyable as a stand alone story.

However, with volume 2, you are going to need to make a significant investment in a lot more books for it to be worth buying. By itself, volume 2 is boring as all heck. It's all setup...
Sesana
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Essentially more standalone stories than a cohesive storyline of any length. Ish. Because it's quite obvious that this is all setup for more. More of what, I couldn't say. Each individual story stands on its own well enough, even if they each seem to almost fizzle out instead of end. Which, if they're meant to be exposition for later events, they sort of have to. It's kind of a risk Hickman is taking here, and he seems to be writing the characters quite well as he goes along.
Anne
It's very pretty to look at, but the plot (plots?) jumps all over the place. It feels a little too trippy for me. Or maybe I'm just missing some really vital information, since I haven't read volume 1? No idea. I'm giving it 3 stars, because it could be my fault that I didn't understand it.
Paz R.M.
This volume might look like a collection of stand-alone stories, but it's just the set up for all that is to come. So I have lots of expectations, given the big players that are introduced here and the time it took to do so.
Now, it's not as fun as the first volume, and because it lowkey suffers from the second book syndrome, it's slower and not as engaging.
That being said, I was never bored and I think all the issues were extremely well written because I got to learn a bunch from all the big cit
Aaron
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This volume, while interesting and well-written, feels mostly like setup for future conflicts. We're introduced to each of four different, highly evolved cities on various parts of the earth (or even in alternate dimensions), all of which have a lot in common with each other but just enough not in common to lead me to believe a storm is coming. In volume one of the series, a giant confrontation was basically prophesied, and I think this is the origin of that confrontation. While I didn't find th ...more
Mike
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love how Hickman takes the old tropes of the Marvel U and says "What would happen if we reversed all expectations of the usual tensions?" The Moleman/FF battles have been done to death, but Moleman asking for help because the world has changed? Now *that's* a story I want to read.

Now, the rest of the book is a series of stories with little connection to one another, and I don't know exactly what Hickman is up to with this effort. These are some incredibly inventive and imaginative tales, each
Andrew
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last volume ended with Future Franklin warning Present Day Valeria about a coming war between four cities. This volume introduces us to those four cities. In their capacity as IMAGINAUTS and explorers, the Fantastic Four visit a Moloid city, an undersea kingdom, a space station populated by Universal Inhumans, and...um..the Negative Zone, The emphasis on exploration makes this feel less like a typical Marvel comic, and more like something from Hellboy or BPRD. There's a lot of world-building ...more
Jesús
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hickman unnecessarily complicates what should be a relatively straightforward series of events. The issues in this volume are all set-up for a presumed payoff to come, but plot information comes in awkward fits and starts across four separate issues. A more accomplished writer would be able to simplify and compress all of this staging and still keep the larger plot moving forward. No such luck here. Hickman is trying to keep too many balls in the air at once for no good reason.

While I dig the S
Trike
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was bored throughout this book. It feels so lifeless and dull, which is quite a feat given the characters and concepts.
Ronyell
Brief Introduction:

After reading the first volume of Jonathan Hickman’s run of “Fantastic Four,” I wanted to check out the rest of this series and see more adventures from the “Fantastic Four!” Unfortunately, “Fantastic Four: Volume Two” was just an average read for me because while it had some interesting scenes with the Fantastic Four, it lacked the action that was shown in the first volume and the plotlines in this volume had many slow scenes that made it difficult for me to read through.
Christina
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
While the artwork is stunning - an easy 5 stars, the story is slow. I know Hickman is going somewhere with this, it just seems like this was really light material - especially since it seems to be introducing what seems to be a major storyline. The issues presented four introductory points along the line of a big story and they all seemed to scratch a surface and leave me needing more.
I still love the fact that the dialogue is both witty and complex and the actions of the group really make me s
Shawn Birss
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-children
Elijah and Grace give Fantastic Four Volume 2 5 stars!

Grace says: I want to give it FOUR stars because it's the FANTASTIC FOUR!

Elijah says: I give it FIVE stars because I LOVE IT!

Grace: I love it too.

Elijah: I liked all four stories. All of them I really liked. I don't know which I would read first because I loved them all. I might mix them up and read them at the same time!

Grace: I liked the bugs story at the end the most. I like the first one with the underground people, too.

Elijah: I like Va
Chris
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hicman has raised the bar so high on superhero comics that I truly pity his peers.
This is the best the FF has ever been.
Derek
The only reason I am reading Fantastic Four is coz Jonathan Hickman wrote them, but I am really struggling with this series. Really struggling.
Mjhancock
Hickman continues setting the stage for his Fantastic Four epic with the introduction of four cities, first alluded to by the future-Valeria seen in the first volume (I think). We have the evolved Mole people living in the High Evolutionary's abandoned city, fueled by the ascension engine; the old Atlanteans living in Antarctica (they also appoint Susan the speaker for humanity); the Inhuman City-Ship, containing Inhumans belonging to humans, badoon, centurians, kymellians, and dire-wraiths; and ...more
Jason

[review for volumes 1-4]
I've not been a huge Hickman fan. I think my first conscious exposure to his writing was Infinity, which seemed unnecessarily confusing. Around the same time, I was struggling with East of West and Manhattan Projects and I realized the connection between the three. His ideas are very high concept, reminiscent of Grant Morrison (who also consistently confuses me), but he isn't able to execute them as successfully as Morrison, who usually manages to balance character devel
Akkisuitok
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: marvel, 2019-comics
This was so ... boring? I'm honestly so baffled at all the positive reviews here. I didn't even really dislike it, but the individual stories felt really disjointed and often either rushed or too slow (with a long speech bubbles filled with technobabble). The FF have literally no character, and all the action scenes are drawn so terribly that you can't even see them fight with their powers. So utterly pointless.
RG
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've begun this arc again after becoming obsessed with Hickmans writing. This has to one of the strongest fantastic four runs. So in depth, so weird but oh so much fun. The art is perfect. Im currently reading Slotts run in singles but this blows it out of the water at this stage.
Rajan Khanna
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
My main issue with this series is that Hickman introduces really interesting ideas, building up suspense and wonder, and then the stories wrap up abruptly with a summary sheet at the end being necessary to even give us vital information about the end of these threads. I understand he's building toward something, but it stretches my patience to stick with it until it pays off.

The individual issues actually remind me very much of Planetary and I think Hickman is doing a good job of channeling War
Gavin
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I read Vol 1 a while ago, and liked that; this next Volume was a little disappointing to me to be honest. I suppose I need to remember how far-fetched some of the First Family's adventures are (both FF hmmm). A whole civilization living underwater in Antarctica, a whole city underground, the Inhumans getting ready to take over, it's all just too much, but maybe Hickman is just trying to set up a bunch of storylines for the next while. Still, not my favourite, and I almost started just skimming b ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
At times, the setup of four cities, four elements, and four members of the Four seems contrived, but overall this is an interesting volume that hints at what is to come and also a nice return to the idea of the Four as adventurers.
Damon
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I am actually very unimpressed with this muck. I know Hickman can do much better than this and can only think that these characters drained him with all their attached histories and boring character traits.
Sonic
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 maybe? I did like this alot. Really excellent writing supported by really good solid illustration. Shows the FF as Science adventurers as they originally were intended by Kirby (and Lee.)
Craig
Jan 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Super jumpy -- felt like issues had been left out of the collection. Plus, the story does not end at the end of the trade. SIGH. Nightmare!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Immortal Hulk, Volume 5: Breaker of Worlds
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Straight Out of Brooklyn
  • Final Crisis
  • Once & Future, Vol. 1
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • X-Men: Messiah CompleX
  • Age of Ultron
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America
  • Fantastic Four: World's Greatest
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 2: Dangerous
  • Thor: God of Thunder, Volume 2: Godbomb
  • War of the Realms
  • Avengers by Jason Aaron, Vol. 1: The Final Host
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

Fantastic Four (1998) (1 - 10 of 177 books)
  • Fantastic Four #1