Start by marking “Apples and Pumpkins” as Want to Read:
Apples and Pumpkins

Anne F. Rockwell

Apples and Pumpkins

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  636 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
It is Fall! And for one little girl, that means the special joys of visiting the Comstock Farm: choosing the reddest apples from the trees and finding the best pumpkin in the patch. Back home, she helps her mother carve a funny jack-o'-lantern face and puts a glowing candle inside her prize new pumpkin...just in time for Halloween and an evening of lots of "trick or treats ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by Perfection Learning (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Apples and Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples and Pumpkins

midnightfaerie
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. I really enjoyed this book. Whether it was because it was a good book, or whether it was because it reminded me of fall, my favorite season I'm so desperately longing for this year, I'm not sure. But all my children enjoyed it, because we ended up talking about our favorite fall activities which include hayrides on our way to apple picking and of course, trick or treating. One of my 3 yr olds actually found ...more
Athena
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mom likes the farm part and Dad likes the costume part. I like all of it except the jackolantern page. Mom says I can give it five stars even if there's a page I don't like, because sometimes I have her read it three times in a row.
Dianna
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect, simplest book for fall. Just right for my two-year-old.
David
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell, pictures by Lizzy Rockwell is a classic Fall book for toddlers or preschoolers about a little girl, who visits the Comstock Farm to choose the reddest apples from the trees and find the best pumpkin in the patch. At home, she helps her mother carve a Jack O Lantern just in time for Halloween.

The text is simple, designed to communicate the simple joys of Fall and a visit to an apple and pumpkin farm. The story is a good choice to introduce younger childre
Anne Hong
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is shared every year.
Friendly illustrations and texts...
with a perfect sequence for Halloween

It is so much fun to add children's own costumes at the end of the page.

How can we resist this classical and universal story?
Michael
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, short book. I took off one star for promoting the giving of apples on Halloween.
Jennifer Kelley
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for fall reading!
Kathryn
A fun story with good illustrations on the traditions of fall.
Kristie
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autumn
A classic, good read for younger children.
Classic title, one that preschool teachers look for every fall. Talks about fall activities, and a very little about Halloween. Very low spooky rating.
Becca
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The cute retro cartoon-like illustrations were endearing and brought me back to my childhood. There were a couple things that bugged me about the story, though. First of all, let's not encourage children to climb apple trees- especially ones that are not in their own yard; They are quite delicate. Secondly, nobody passes out apples to trick-or-treaters; no one would come to your house ever again if you did. You'd be known as the house that passes out the lamest treat ever.
Valencia
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read in fall.
Erin
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasons-fall, farms
A very simple story about going to a farm in the fall to pick apples & pumpkins, then carve a jack-o-lantern & go trick-or-treating. If you're using it in a storytime, it's best for ages 2-4.
Sarah Wilson
Simple story with a few read aloud options including color recognition and seasonal details.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 2 - 5

Cleanliness: the carve out a pumpkin and go trick or treating.

#fall #autumn #halloween
Leslie
This will be fun for Fall Storytime
Liz Todd
Nice quick "story" for reflecting on how apples and pumpkins compare.
David Freudenburg
Board book about a family who goes to a farm to pick their own apples and pumpkin. Very cozy, realistic, simple, and clear. Demonstrates cutting a pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern. Ends with trick-or-treating.
Tasha
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
If the heat of summer is getting to you, you can always look ahead to the crispness of fall. This new edition of the Rockwell classic keeps the same feel as the original. It is the story of a little girl who heads off into the country to a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. There they meet the geese, chickens and turkey who live on the farm. They pick apples and the little girl carefully selects her pumpkin which she later carves into a jack-o-lantern. The book ends with apples being given away o ...more
Carissa
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween
The rosy cheeks on the people helps illustrate that the weather is chilly. The undefined forests in the background are beautifully rendered with watercolors. The simple drawings are charming. My favorite page is the basket full of red and shiny apples-- they aren't fully red, but a blend of green and yellow and red, true to real apples. I liked that the girl had orange hair and boots with traction. The father has a blue newsboy cap with a turtleneck sweater and the mother has a yellow kerchief. ...more
Rosa Cline
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween, fall
This is a very nice beginning reader book for smaller children, or beginning readers. The illustrations are very pleasing to the eye and helps a non reader stay with the story as it's being read to them. It starts out as a PERFECT Fall storybook to help young children about changing of the leaves lead to the time of year apples and pumpkins are ready to harvest. Then the family go to a farm to pick them themselves. Helping teach a child that may not experience that type of thing to realize where ...more
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
The story is very simple. It is a nice story about going out to get pumpkins and apples in the Fall but overall the story is not that appealing or exciting. Also, it does not flow that well, I was not expecting it to end with her trick-or-treating.

Recommended Uses for the Book:
I think that this book could be used before a family might go to pick apples or pumpkins from a farm. Generally, I think I understand why this book was still left on the shelf and I would not recomme
Tim Johnson
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-time
I read this book for a story time program for 4-7 year olds. I think it may be a bit too easy even for them. Aside from that the story and the art are okay, not spectacular, but okay. It kind of makes me sad too because you can't really give out apples on Halloween anymore. People will look at you like you're the wicked witch (or wizard) from Snow White. You know at that point your apple is going in the trash and all you wanted to do was give out something healthy. As if there was no way to infi ...more
The Library Lady
Thank you to the publisher for reissuing this book! Part of a cycle of 4 books that celebrate each of the seasons, the simple words and bright clear pictures are pitch perfect for 2 and 3 year olds.

It was a favorite of my little girls when they WERE little girls and is something I read nearly every year at fall story times. I just wish they'd reissue the "Big Book" version which would be perfect for using with groups....
Jess
This was by far the least liked book I read this morning. It's small (physically) with minimal pictures and really meandering story for something with so few words. Then it just sort of ends. Not reading this one again.

10/20/14 - ETA I've talked this one over with co-workers and they explained some better ways to present this book, but honestly for a story time aimed at 18-36 month-old kids it's just not worth the effort.
Tricia
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This title is an update of the classic by the same name. The author's illustrator daughter, Lizzie has spiffed up the illustrations quite a bit to give the book a more modern feel. I will always love this title and consider it a must read for fall storytimes. My review of the origianl: Nothing says "fall" quite like a Anne Rockwell title showing a family visiting a farm to pick apples and pumpkins. A classic fall storytime staple that ends with trick or treating.
Krista
Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell is one of Elion's favorite books. She loves reading this book together, simple and easy. The illustrations are wonderful and colorful. I will also be reading this too her at the end of the month, when we learn about pumpkins! If you are going to visit an orchard or a pumpkin patch this is a great read to get your child excited about apples and pumpkins!
Jennifer Kelley
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for this time of year. A little girl and her family go to the farm to pick out apples and a pumpkin. They go home & make a jack o'lantern, and give the apples away for Halloween. My preschoolers enjoy this, and I always talk about the costumes & give them a chance to tell me what they are going to wear this year!
Heather
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autumn
17 months - This book was a huge hit for O. We read this one probably a hundred times over the month we had it. Her verbal language was starting to take off and Apple, Pumpkin and Acorn were three of her favorite words to say and sign at the time. 31 months - found at the thrift store and thought I'd see if O still liked this book, she does! Such a simple. Ok but it still appeals to her.
Janet
This story is bursting with the feelings of autumn, from apples to pumpkins to turkeys, and Halloween. Illustrations with autumn colors enhance the aesthetic appeal of this book.

Age: 2+

Practice: Writing (After reading this story, children could use fall colors to illustrate their own picture of fall.)
  • It's Pumpkin Time!