Start by marking “Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires” as Want to Read:
Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires

Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires (Peculia #2)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This tongue-in-cheek horror novel, which manages to both parody and celebrate elements of modern horror is the latest book by Richard Sala, author of such delightfully macabre books as Peculia, The Chuckling Whatsit, Maniac Killer Strikes Again! and the Evil Eye comic book series. Sala has gained a devoted following over the years as a master of a unique brand of quirky ho ...more
Published December 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires

Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A new family moves into the old Groon Grove house and immediately begins inviting visitors over to stay the night. One of whom is Peculia, the carefree waif from Richard Sala's book Peculia, a collection of short stories featuring her. But why are the mirrors in the house covered? The girls are soon going to find out... but will Peculia escape?

The first lengthy adventure for Richard Sala's Peculia is an interesting take on the vampire story of olde. Familiar tropes emerge aligned with a more la
Orrin Grey
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I've never quite liked anything by Richard Sala as much as I would have expected, but I keep trying. Part of it is how very close everything seems to come, part of it is that I like his art, especially in his more recent work. This one was middle of the road for me, as Sala works go. I liked it better than his earlier stuff, but not as much as his later stuff.

I'm still looking forward to The Hidden, which both looks great and is his most recent piece, and so far I've liked each new thing he's do
Jesse Hill
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I discovered Richard Sala's work at the Fantagraphics Store in Seattle and went a little crazy. His manic art and creepy stories are excellent at leaving you feeling uneasy. I think I kind of overdosed on his stuff back then and it's taken me quite a long time to get back to his stuff.

This second graphic novel of the pixie-haired Peculia was well done. Her vampire antagonists were set up in an interesting way and overall the story was entertaining. This was good little horror story that didn't l
Feather Mista
"y las vampiras del Bosque Siniestro" quizás sería un título más adecuado. A nivel guion me gustó más el primer tomo con historias cortas que este con una sola larga, pero el dibujo está un poco más bonito y mejor definido acá, así que promedian lo mismo. Lástima, eso sí, que sale una variedad de monstruos mucho menor; aunque un poquito lo compensan con la galería de ilustraciones del final.
Dony Grayman
Tomo sin numeración pero con subtítulo que resultaría ser 2 de 2. Publicado dentro de la colección Horrorama de Recerca. Aparentemente, ambos tomos conforman todo lo compilado del personaje.
Artur Coelho
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Richard Sala tem um estilo gráfico muito próprio, que mistura a expressividade do traço com um forte carácter ingénuo e admiração pela iconografia do horror clássico. Esse gosto por monstros do cinema a preto e branco e elementos assombrados das casas que rangem na noite também é explícito nas histórias que congemina para os seus livros. Neste, é o mito do Vampiro que é colocado em destaque. Sala pega na clássica visão pop da cidezinha burguesa americana que é assolada por uma família de vampiro ...more
Nick
This strange little book is a weird blend of horror and humor, with a fairly high body count. Using cliches from a dozen slasher movies and abusing them all horribly, Sala sets a tale in motion where a group of babysitters (think of the ones from the Babysitter's Club books and you won't be far off) are lured to a strange place to supposedly babysit for a family. Unfortunately for them, the family are all vampires, and so doom awaits.
If the deaths weren't so gruesome it would be easier to laugh
Matti Karjalainen
Richard Salan "Peculia and the Groon Grove Vampires" (Fantagraphics, 2005) on pieni, koominen ja kauhugenren kliseisiin turvautuva tai ehkä pikemminkin niillä tietoisesti leikittelevä sarjakuva neljästä nuoresta tytöstä ja heidän hiljaisesta ystävästään Georgesta, joiden lapsenvahtikeikka kylään vastikään muuttaneen perheen luokse ei muodostu ihan odotetun kaltaiseksi. Salan piirrosjälki on ilo silmälle.
Morgan
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
While it was nice to see a longer story dedicated to Peculia, there wasn't much more substance to it than Sala's vignettes. The book was fun, and the art is as jaw dropping as usual (especially the Peculia/old woman fight). What I'd love to see is more story surrounding Obscurus, yet he was only in a photo in the background of this. Not essential, but fun.
Andy
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: shoeless girls w/black hair
Shelves: comix-novel
More sexy gothic nightmares starring my girl Peculia. Richard Sala's artwork is slightly on the Edward Gorey side, but I like him more than Gorey. This book is short and breezy and can be read in an hour like a good TV show. Fantagraphics scores again!
Jason
The story's too short to really make an impact. Had it been paired with at least one other or included as a part of an anthology, it would rate higher. Not that there's anything wrong with the story; it's just over too fast.
Chris
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Chris by: Sala fans?
Sala is one of the most underrated creators in comics. I can't heap, heave, dump or plop enough praise upon this book, so let me distill it to this one, inarticulate sentence: If Mario Bava did comics this is what he'd do; spooky and sexy.
Dave-O
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
A quickly read, no-frills vampire story.
Jesse Bullington
I got this on remainder form the Harvard bookstore only to realize a chunk of about 20 pages is missing from the rear portion of the book. Shit.
chris
Mar 19, 2014
Susan Rose
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard Sala grew up with a fascination for musty old museums, dusty old libraries, cluttered antique shops, narrow alleyways, hidden truths, double meanings, sinister secrets and spooky old houses. He has written and drawn a number of unusual graphic novels which often combine elements of classic mystery and horror stories and which have been known to cause readers to emit chuckles as well as gas ...more
More about Richard Sala...

Peculia (2 books)