Start by marking “Sarah's Unicorn” as Want to Read:
Sarah's Unicorn

Sarah's Unicorn

Although Sarah tries to keep her friendship with Oakhorn a secret, her wicked-witch aunt finds out and is determined to rob the unicorn of his magic. ‘Welcomes beginning readers to the world of fantasy in a story which is simple and direct, yet woven with moonbeams.’ —SLJ.
Published October 22nd 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah's Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah's Unicorn

Start your review of Sarah's Unicorn
Julia
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Although I have been a fan of "The Unicorn Chronicles" I have never heard of this particular book from the Covilles. Although both this and the series revolve around unicorns while holding magic within the pages of the plot I don't think this one belongs to the same series but is instead a standalone book directed to young readers who are just trying to comfortable with novels.

The writing is very simple and easy to follow along while the formatting is nicely done so the reader isn'
Tricia
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I forgot about this book! One of the best Unicorn books EVER!!!! It has beautiful illustrations and a good story and a unicorn (OF COURSE!!). I read this book several times a day (during "reading hour") in my third grade class and then I was very sad when I had to go to fourth grade.
Dawn
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sarah lives with her Aunt Mag on the edge of the forest. Aunt Mag is a witch, and, when one of her spells goes wrong, she turns into a mean witch. Life is harder and sadder for Sarah until she meets a unicorn named Oakhorn. And then she befriends a lot of other forest animals, who will prove very helpful by the end of the book.

B&W illustrations. Kept my 4yo interested for the whole book. It wasn't too scary for her, but she clearly felt tense.
Although written very simply, and housed in our library among the beginner books, this story is definitely one that is written for elementary grade students. The plot is interesting and engaging and well-supported by the wonderful illustrations. It is not a book that would be appropriate for really young children, because there is a threat of violence and even death.
Mary Garrett
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SARAH’S UNICORN by Bruce and Katherine Coville
Working together to defeat evil, would be a good addition to an anti-bullying program.
“She used to be nice. Can’t you fix her?” Perfect bedtime picture books.
Jamie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
A cute story. Friendship, bitterness, forgiveness and caring. And the ladybug is by far my favorite character. So loyal! I enjoyed the drawing. The forest is beautiful and the expressions shown add depth the the characters.
Aubrey White
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is simple but lovely and the unicorn makes it just the kind of thing I would have treasured as a girl, so when I saw it at the library I was quick to grab it. Since we brought it home each boy has personally asked to read it multiple times. It has the perfect amount of text per page for Josiah and me to take turns reading pages, while still enthralling Nat & B. Even better, it whispers hope: a hero bent on revenge can be persuaded to act with mercy and a witch who acts out of evil ...more
Mari
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids between 2 and 70
Recommended to Mari by: Found it at a second hand bookstore
I was brave to let my 2-year old Stephanie read this book (it has paper pages), but she loved the graphics and was intigued by the story. This is the book that I used to first teach Stephanie how to read. By age 2 she could read the entire book and identify the same words from the book in a variety of contexts. Smart kid!

=^..^=
mb
Sarah Adamson
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was found to be the only book on unicorns in our local library (we could order others but we needed one like TODAY!!).
We checked it out and my daughter did struggle with some of the words but we really enjoyed the story - just the right amount of excitement, fear, anticipation and joy! A really nice early reader unicorn book!
Lorna
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
This is a great book with charming illustrations. It worked on several levels in our house both as a read-aloud for our almost 4-year old and a book that challenged our beginning reader, who is six. It's great that such a short book can create a suspenseful story, with a happy fairy-tale like ending. Very enjoyable!
Liz
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horse/unicorn lovers
Shelves: children-s-book
This is a great adventure fantasy book for kids. I think this was my favorite book when I was like in 3rd grade. I love Mrs. Bunjy (the ladybug) and Oakhorn (the unicorn). I always wanted a pet unicorn when I was little. If you were the same then you'd love this book!
Hilary
All the elements of a good fantasy book are here -- witches, unicorns, an orphaned child... Good and evil clash (with good triumphing, of course) and transformation takes place. Pretty slick for a kids book! Good choice for transitional readers moving from picture to chapter books.
Darah Herron
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book when I was very young, and just recently went looking for a copy to buy for my niece. I loved reading through it again as an adult... It brought back so many great memories and is probably responsible for my lifelong interest in fantasy literature.
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 571
Absolutely one of my favorites. I love unicorns and stories about girls named Sarah, so terrific combo here. I would read this everyday I think.
Pat Williams
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
LIttle 5 year ol Marty read this book to me, on Laura's recommendation. What a fun time. He could read every word! After he read it, he wanted me to read it to him - so we read it twice!
M.
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I kind of wish that this one had been a short chapter book rather than the slightly choppy picture book that it is. But I still enjoyed it.
Paula

Although she tries to keep her friendship with Oakhorn a secret, Sarah's wicked aunt finds out and is determined to rob the unicorn of his magic.
Cathy
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This was one of my daughter's favorite books when she was little! I read it to her again and again.
Sarah Asarnow
11.59pm
Gena Lott
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A simple but delightful story for beginning readers.
Alice
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars I enjoyed this book. I really nice story. The pictures are black and white and blah, but oh well!
Julie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely story and inspiring illustrations! Perfect for the 5-8 year old crowd, especially for kids who are still invested in the possibility of a unicorn appearing in the backyard.
Alicia
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I remember loving this book when I was little! I've been wanting to buy this book, but couldn't remember the title, I'm excited to find it again!
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who can find it!
Recommended to Stephanie by: my mama!
Shelves: children
ha! i still love this book...i even have my original copy!! i don't know if it's still in print, but if you can find it, read it!
Sara
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time.
Rose

Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute. This made me very happy 😊
Raquel
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because Sarah's aunt changed and became good again.

• The House with Chicken Legs
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Okay Witch
  • Goody Hall
  • The Bat-Poet
  • Have You Seen Elephant? (Gecko Press Titles)
  • C.S. Lewis on Joy
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Willoughbys
  • Mouse's First Fall
  • Just Like Beverly: A Biography of Beverly Cleary
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Misty Morgan