Start by marking “Murder Business” as Want to Read:
Murder Business

Murder Business

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Crime stories fascinate the public. But between factual news stories, overblown ?human interestOCO reports and salacious murder mystery expos(r)s, itOCOs difficult to tell where news ends and entertainment begins. Mark Fuhrman, best-selling author of Murder in Brentwood, explores this fine line and how it is increasingly being crossed, revealing new and shocking details on ...more
Unknown Binding, 214 pages
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published October 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Business

Sheryl Tribble
I was surprised to discover that Mark Fuhrman, former cop, has more faith in human nature than I do. I remember my mom and I grumping about the fact that the prosecution in the O.J. criminal trial didn’t deal with the Racist Fuhrman problem by bringing in his partner to testify, which seemed an obvious enough solution. But I never seriously considered the idea that the media should have tracked the partner down and taken the focus off the racial issue. Why would they do that, when they could mil ...more
Kc Chapa
I listened to the audio and it was pretty good. A nice distraction from traffic and it provided some insightful commentary on some of the most sensational crimes, including the Simpson case. Mark engaged in some boosting of his ego--that was the only distraction. In addition, I was turned off by his comments on Marcia Clark; he essentially blamed her for the loss and put himself in a better light--which was pretty ludicrous. But--he was a good detective and his insights into these cases was inte ...more
Heather
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This non-fiction book was written by a previous detective now an investigative reporter for FOX News. He has chosen to write about major murder cases and how the media has helped or hindered each case. In this book Fuhrman covers the Caylee Anthony case, Drew Peterson case, Medina Duckett case, Martha Moxley case, Scott Peterson case, JonBenet Ramsey case, Victor Foster case, and the O.J. Simpson case; which started it all with the media circus that now involves investigations and high profile c ...more
Christy
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an interesting, I think it paints a true picture of how the the media, tabloids, etc will do anything to gain ratings and spin a story. Crime stories fascinate the public. However, between factual news stories, overblown “human interest” reports and salacious murder mysteries, tabloids, etc., it’s difficult to tell where news ends and entertainment begins. Mark Fuhrman, author of Murder in Brentwood, explores this fine line and how it is increasingly being crossed, revealing s ...more
Ann Major
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. I always felt that Mark Fuhrman had to be destroyed because he was the detective that found all the evidence. If he could be labeled a racist, then somehow OJ wasn't guilty? I never quite got how that worked, so it was nice to read this well-written book by a good detective.

He examines several high-profile murders and explains why these caught on with the media and became best-selling stories that the media hit over and over again.

Frankly, with so much news in the wo
Jane
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I happened across this in my library in the "new non-fiction" section. What makes this book a worthwhile read is the manner in which the author shows how media hysteria has interferred greatly with the solving of certain well known cases. In one infamous case, the only person who could have led to the body was so traumatized by her media experience that she killed herself. Fuhrman shows how he differs from others in how he cooperates with the police and doesn't air anything that could compromise ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While I found this book interesting, I have to say shame on Regnery Publishing for letting through so many grammatical errors and one huge typo that created a factual error in the Scott Peterson chapter! I also found his style to be a bit too anecdotal and his message too repetitious, even though he was making good points. I enjoyed reading his behind-the-media-scenes view of these cases, and agree with him that the media can be overly invasive to the detriment of police investigations. It made ...more
Lee Ann
Mark Fuhrman justifies why he is no longer a police investigator and why he is so valuable as a FOX reporter. He gives his opinions on major cases, which he has investigated as a report while promoting his books along the way. It feels whiney and self serving throughout while he does bring out some good points, it serves no purpose except to add to his writing successes and income. Not really worth the time I spent.
Mmyoung
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where to start?

Written pedestrianly.
Not particularly insightful outlines and sketches of trials/cases better dealt with by other sources.
Inaccurate facts (for exmple, nonsense about the reliability of polygraph tests.)
A brief and highly misleading description of the Vince Foster controversy.
An amazingly self serving description of the Simpson trail.

And yet, a fascinating example of how writers often reveal far more about themselves in their work than they ever intended.
Fishface
This was a great read and I'll read it again with pleasure. The author -- a former LAPD homicide detective you may have heard about, now a journalist with Fox News -- discusses how the mass media interfere with criminal investigation, prosecution, and every other stage of the criminal-justice process.
Nick
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Fuhrman does an excellent job of illustrating the fact that the news media has become too focused on ratings and entertainment, rather than finding the truth. Overall the book was very interesting, there were a couple of cases that felt a little like conspiracy theory paranoia but most cases were intriguing, and well the arguments well-written.
Sean Hopkins
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explains the reasons the media loves murder cases and the degree to which the media interferes with criminal cases and does everything possible to create a media frenzy when a missing person case involves a pretty female as well as the degree to which cases that do not involve the right type of victim are ignored.
Naomi Blackburn
Uh, what is the point..typical Mark Furhman omniscient writing. I went into this book with some trepidation..which ended up being founded. He did have a couple of good points in the book thus the two star rating.
Chicken Little
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I don't usually read non-fiction but I do pick up a true crime book from time to time. This true crime work by Mark Fuhrman is a chilling read, but one that will make readers turn pages into the night, and lock their doors.
Amanda
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I feel like it very accurately portrayed the media's current "role" in showing America what "justice" is being done. Good examples of how the media is a business and their techniques to sell their stories when it comes to crime.
Laurie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this in a record three days. Fuhrmann, now a correspondent for Fox News, details how media has interfered with investigations and justice in several high profile cases. I found this easy to read and informative- the kind of true crime book that won't give me nightmares.
Eric Mortensen
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There clearly are problems in the way that journalism managed crime reporting these days. Fuhrman raises good questions.
If his comments about the Simpson trial are true then we have to ask even more questions about the way we let our knee jerk reactions about race to influence our behavior.
Connie
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting viewpoint of how the media controls the length and outcome of some murders. Also his take on who killed JonBenet, the O.J. trial, (what really happened to foul up the prosecutions case, Scott Peterson et al. A quick and well written read.
Marley
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly interesting. Yes, there are definitely a lot of self congratulations but I found the details of old crimes worth it. I was especially interested in the detailed account of the OJ Simpson trial and how incompetent some police are.
Heather Hay
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fascinating. I never followed the high profile crime cases when they were on TV so this book was all new news to me. I loved the perspective of how the media can manipulate and botch a crime investigation. I would definitely read more from this author.
Meg Crowley
Ok

Ok. Would have liked more detail and explanation on how each case proves his point. It was a quick read. Interesting cases addressed.
Toesnorth's mom
excellent!
Joe McDonald
Really just a rehash of prominent crimes.
Lauren
May 07, 2016
Hayden
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Former LAPD detective, true crime writer and talk radio host.

He is primarily known for his part in the investigation of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman and his subsequent felony conviction for perjury.
More about Mark Fuhrman...