Start by marking “The Claidi Journals” as Want to Read:
The Claidi Journals

The Claidi Journals

(Claidi Journals #1-3)

Fantasy author Tanith Lee brings together the first three fantastic installments of the Claidi Journals, taking readers on a harrowing adventure from Claidi's young life in the House to her struggle to prove her love and honor in Wolf Queen. With a powerful voice and brave characters that match the creations of Tamora Pierce and Robin McKinley, Lee creates a heroine whose ...more
Hardback, 461 pages
Published 2001 by Sfbc Science Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Claidi Journals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Claidi Journals

Start your review of The Claidi Journals
Angie
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just over six years ago I walked into this little bookstore called Books of Wonder for the first time in my life. And on the front end cap, directly facing the revolving door, on the middle shelf, was a thick book with a purple cover and a gold spine entitled THE CLAIDI JOURNALS. I had heard of Tanith Lee before, but never read any of her books, and I had her sorted in my mind as a dark fantasy/horror writer. As I picked up the hefty volume and examined it, it appeared it was actually an omnibus ...more
ambyr
I started to describe this as weirdly--even badly paced--but I think it would be more accurately to say it's paced in an early modern way. I don't have a picaresque genre shelf, but if I did, this would be right there alongside Lazarillo de Tormes. Claidi wanders with little in the way of long-term goals, pushed and pulled by the machinations of others and a general lack of sense of direction. But if you're willing to let go of your need for structure, for plot, there's a genuine sense of wonder ...more
Geneviève (thefreckledbookworm)
Loved this book as a kid!!
First Second Books
I love Tanith Lee, but sometimes I read her books and start thinking things like: parents, building stars that abduct people (whether or not they're grown-up versions of your kids and their fiancees) is maybe a sufficiently problematic idea that don't do it in the first place?

Of course, the book being by Tanith Lee and being filled with wild and wonderful ideas is how you know it's awesome!
Liz Dunn
In The Claidi Collection, there are three books in the series, Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, and Wolf Queen. Each is a story of one ordinary girl caught up in a whirlwind of adventure- adventure she didn't ask for. In the first book, she is deemed a servant in what is called "The House," and works for Lady Jade Leaf, a snotty and prissy woman in The House. One day a man, Nemian comes from what is called "The Waste," forbidden to all who live in The House. One of the ladies of The House helps Claidi esc ...more
Megan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A confusing, odd yet oddly satisfying book. The letter/journal format is interesting which continues throughout the whole book, but it only really bothered me in the beginning and where it got choppy and Claidi just said there wasn't much to write about.

This is the story of an adventure in a world that is so full of itself and so wrong. There are people in power who have rules and laws that they abide by so strictly and there is Claidi. Claidi is different. Claidi breaks the rules and that is w
Caro
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The series was amazing, but the third book is the one that made me like it even more. Each book just keeps getting better and better.
It doesn't get boring and (view spoiler)
I think this is the kind of series that everyone would enjoy not only a certain age group: 100% recommend.

Now I only need to go for the next book.
Aisha
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book when I moved into a new apartment. The previous occupants had left this book and me being the bookworm I am, I started reading it. Nonetheless....I don't regret reading this book at all. I loved this series and despite the slight disappointment from Claidi and Argul not going back to the Hulta, I still loved reading this.
Kathei
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Oh, how I enjoyed this book. I know it's supposed to be for middle schoolers but as a woman in her 70s, I found it a compelling read. I've always loved Tanith Lee's books and I'm glad to add this to my collection.
Debra Byrd
Another Tanith Lee novel full of viscous mothers. I know some mothers are like that, I was reared by a narcissistic mother myself. But geez, not all of them are!
Lea Day
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Claidi and the journey she had discovering herself and her place in her world. This is a very rich universe with fascinating characters.
Alicia
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this series in one big book. The journalesque feel of the writing was extremely real for me. Sometimes "journal" or "diary" books don't always work for me because they don't really feel REAL. However, The Claidi Journals really pulled it off.

My only beef was that it felt like three installments to one book. I didn't feel like I was really reading three books. Part of that is probably because of how I read the books, but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed these books other
Nepheleli
I started Reading this book because I had just moved to my new apartment and I was not going to have no internet for about 3 weeks. Since I was on a very strict budget I went to a thrift store. I saw many books there but this one in caught my eye due to it being a collection of 3 books in 1. I started reading it and personally that was the best decision I could have ever made. This book was filled with intrigue and it was very suspenseful. it started somewhat slow, but then it picked up. it was ...more
cindy
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tamora Pierce fans
Shelves: read-youngadult
Fairly standard fantasy setup (slave/servant with a somewhat murky past and dead/missing parents is sent off on a mysterious adventure) that leads into inventive plotting and imaginitive, non-standard scenery and characters.

Claidi is a lovely, mixed up, well-constructed teenage girl character. She's smart, scared, resourceful, and a little boy-crazy.

The Claidi Collection consists of three books: Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, and Wolf Queen. I'd recommend getting the Collection over the individual title
Crystal
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked all three of the books in "The Claidi Collection." It's very well written and I like the journal-style set-up of the story. You can definitely see character progression for the main character, Claidi, throughout the entire story. The writing was a bit younger than I tend to like, which I didn't realize until after I'd started. However, the story had me hooked even with the fact that it's a bit young, so I don't mind all that much. Apparently, there is a fourth book in the series t ...more
Jacqui Ainsworth
I enjoyed these books. The first book was a bit slow-going and I am not sure whether I would have bothered searching out the second one if it had not been a combined volume. By the end of the first one it starts to get interesting and midway through the second I was hooked. An interesting read for adults and a great one for younger teens/young adults. There is romance but it's clean and deals with the difference between real love and appearance/obsession very well. I liked how one "error" I foun ...more
Erin Hendrickson
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of the genre, it is often difficult for me to get into the books I read. The Claidi Collection was an exception. Tanith's stunning literary imagery, imaginative characters and the world they live in, took me away. I think my favorite aspect about the series was the world itself. From the kinds of people in it, to the way life and love and politics work within it was fantastical, whimsical, awesome and fearsome. A great story that keeps you guessing until the very end of Claidi's journ ...more
Tearju
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.

The description of the foreign world left enough to the imagination while giving a concrete insite to the observations of Claidi. The gives a perfect insite to the mind of someone of her age; it may very well have actually been someone's diary, except for the fact it was too interesting. The Diary of Anne Frank, while realistic, is nothing compared to this series. In my opinion, of course.
Cindywho
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Claidi is a cranky young woman who escapes a life of servitude by falling for the wrong man. Strange and fantastic adventures full of shifty characters and a few moments of wonder. It's all told in her voice, journal style. There's one more book after the trilogy within this volume and it's on my list... (November 28, 2004)
Melissa
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I read this when I was younger and then reread them recently. I didn't enjoy them as much the second time. It is an interesting fantasy for teens. It has a little different plot than many fantasies, but I started getting tired of Claidi being pulled along from one place to another for no real good reasons that you know of. The first book was good, but it got a little redundant after that.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I bought this when it first came out... just in time to realize that there was a fourth book in the Claidi Journals. It has the first three books in the series (Wolf Tower, Star, and Queen). I think it's a beautiful collection but I would have liked it to have been the complete series not the Claidi Collection+Wolf Wing.
Anne
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Lee has a fantastic imagination. When I read these books for the first time in middle school they blew me away with their creativity. Reading them now, they actually hold up pretty well. Better than most of the fantasy I read at that age. And of course, for me, the Claidi Journals will always be tinged with the rosy glow of nostalgia.
Kristiana
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good book (series)! It's easy to read, the voice is refreshing, the protagonist clearly evolves, and the universe it's set in is fascinating. I read the three books in this collection over the weekend. I would definitely recommend it.
Kris
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good set of books. The second book can get a little tedious, but the characters are loveable and deep. The world is so real in these books you really get a sense of the entire are by the end of it!
Mushroom
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best books i've ever read. claidi was portrayed really well, i was able to believe her feelings and feel what she felt. storyline was original and unpredictable, the book was difficult to put down.
Melissa
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Young Adult fantasy -- recommended by my sister :)Interesting story line.
Nicole
They were fun to read, but nothing spectacular.
Annette
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was really slow, but by the last one I really like it.
Kaitlyn Conley
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series! A little slow paced but still great!
Kelly
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another post apocalyptic story. Lots of twists and turns. Very strong, somewhat confused female character. Love her humour and sarcasm.
Team Argul or Team Venn? 1 1 May 23, 2018 08:34AM

• An Alien Light
  • The Shadow Matrix (Darkover, #25)
  • After Sundown
  • The Dueling Machine
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two
  • Ghostlight (Light, #1)
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • East Is East
  • The Burglar in the Library (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #8)
  • Psycho House (Psycho #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Ship
  • Midsummer Century
  • The Crystal Rose (Meri, #3)
  • Corrie Ten Boom's Prison Letters
  • The Hummingbird Wizard (The Annie Szabo Mystery Series, #1)
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • Night Relics (Ghosts, #1)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai

Claidi Journals (4 books)
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)