Start by marking “Daniel's Story” as Want to Read:
Daniel's Story

Carol Matas

Daniel's Story

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,604 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Can Daniel survive history's deadliest moment?

Daniel barely remembers leading a normal life before the Nazis came to power in 1933. He can still picture once being happy and safe, but memories of those days are fading as he and his family face the dangers threatening Jews in Hitler's Germany in the late 1930s. No longer able to practice their religion, vote, own property,

Published (first published April 1st 1993)

Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about a fictional, teenage, Jewish character, Daniel, as he is living during the Holocaust. Although Daniel has been created by the author, the situations, settings, nightmares and facts of life during the Holocaust are real. As a teacher, I highly recommend this book for teaching students about WWII, the Holocaust, hate and prejudice. My students were shocked and in disbelief to learn about the horrors Jews were forced into during this time period. A great DVD to supplement the ...more
Amanda
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Amanda by: Amber
I loved this book the first time I read it. Then I read it again when I was older and got a whole new look at it. The book realy makes you think about what happened back then.
Grayson
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Daniel's Story" by Carol Matas is historical fiction but so realistic that the U.S. Holocaust Museum has a whole floor with an exhibit called Daniel's Story which follows the exact story from the book. My grandmother bought me the book while we were on a trip and saw the museum.

The books follows the story of Daniel who is Jewish and lives in Frankfurt, Germany in the 1930's. As Daniel tells his own story, you experience just a little bit of what it was like for Jewish kids who lived in Germany
Jose
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my all time favorite. Its a great book, for children all alike. This book will give children the basic overview of life for a jewish boy in Nazi germany before, during, and after the war. I recommend this book for all those who attend the grades 4-6. A great read for the adults as well.
Casey
May 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of many, many books I read about the children of the Holocaust. I still think it's the best. It's pretty brutal in parts, but parents shouldn't fear exposing their children to this wonderful book.
Art
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: holocaust
I enjoyed Daniel's Story in that it followed many of the other books that I had read about the Holocaust.
Books, "Night", "The Devil's Arithmetic" and the "Warsaw Ghetto", just to mention a few.
Matas did a good job collecting and researching the stories to put together for Daniel"s Story.
Justin
Mar 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: juden and young adult fans
Just re-read it after a reminder...saddest/happiest/well no maybe just saddest book ever.
Sydney
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written, buy personally some parts were a little too graphic. Really puts into perspective of how terrible the Holocaust was.
Kasha
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book this morning. I had a thought the other week that I should try to read my kids something about the holocaust. I remember that my first exposure to that time period happened in Middle school in the classroom. I would rather have some conversations about that with my children at home so that when they learn about that part of history they will not be....surprised. I'm not sure exactly why. I also feel like learning of that time period can spark many good conversations wit ...more
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
I know this is kinda an awkward way to start this review, but I am review#101 on this book and I've noticed that the summary of this book doesn't explain too much. So, I'm going to substitute that explanation of that book with my explanation of this book transformed into a review:

Daniel is an ordinary boy living in Germany with his' parents and sister. His' life seems normal until Hitler takes over the country. His use-to-be-best-friend from his' public school begins to reject him and the friend
Nicole
This book is just as good now as it was back in grade 5. The only difference is now I have a full grasp on what was actually going on. Back then I viewed it as a very scary book, and that was all. The fact that this book is fiction really makes no difference to me, it only really means that their was thousands of actual children who could have experienced what Carol Matas made up. This story is not as gruesome as other Holocaust books I have read but that does not mean it is any less disturbing. ...more
Dacia
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Holocaust, Middle School Students
This is an amazing book that follows a boy, Daniel, and his family through their suffering from the time the Nazi's took power in Germany. What I really like about this book is that, even though it is fiction, it is about a boy actually FROM Germany. So many of the other stories are about jews in Denmark, the Netherlands, Poland, or other surrounding countries. In those cases, the Nazi invasion is often something that seemingly happens "over night". I like the fact that this story looks at the " ...more
Jenny
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, one of my favorite librarians feeds my addiction to WWII novels. While it's a fictionalized YA book of a young boy's experiences in the Holocaust, it is a powerful story that will bring tears to your eyes and bewilderment (as always when I read these kinds of books) of why this terrible genocide was actually allowed to happen. While very sad, I'm glad to read these types of books to keep the memories alive of those who perished during the war.
Kayla
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really actually quite good. Its told through the eyes of a teenboy named Daniel who is one of the suvivors of the Hollocoaust. (its fiction) this book really is very sad, i cried in lots of parts. it was one that we had to read for school. But if you dont mind reading this kind of stuff i strongly suggest it, because it really is very good.
Karl Tirrell
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished half of this book today. It was a beautiful, but heart-wrenching story - I haven't read too many stories on the subject, and although I'm painfully aware of the history of what happened to my own heritage, I acknowledge that there are so many things I need to learn, to get the whole story.
Amber
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult

The first time I read this book I was in Middle School and read for a book report. This book is my all time favorite. Its a great book, for children all alike. This book will give children the basic overview of life for a jewish boy in Nazi germany before, during, and after the war. It's a great read for adults too.
Amanda R
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really moving story of a Jewish family in Germany during the Holocaust. Even though it was a JF story, it didn't feel sugar-coated. There were some very painful things to read. And the hardest thing was knowing what would come, and yet having the characters in the beginning still believing things would smooth out - they couldn't see it when the signs were all around them.

Josiah
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I first read it as part of a class project in sixth grade, and I still love it. In my thinking, this is one of the finest stories written on the sobering subject of the holocaust, right up there with the best of the classics.
Adi
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
Perfectly constucted and well thoughtout.
Ami
Casey
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Casey by: 6th grade teacher
DANIEL'S STORY IS VERY VERY SAD, BUT IS A GREAT STORY. DANIEL IS A JEWISH BOY THAT IS 14 DURING WORLD WAR 2.
Michael
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history/sad
If you like books that are depressing, sad and about history then this is for you. this is a grat book
Elizabeth (Liz)
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kora
Mychaela
Althought it is very depressing it was an event in history we shouldn't remember.
Marianne
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Good YA book on the horror of the concentration camps during WWII and the courage it took to survive.
mansha kakar
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to mansha by: my teacher
This is an amazing book!!
it's very emotional in some places but it is a very touching story.
It shows what had happened to families during the holocaust!
Tiffany
I read this book when I was taking a grade 10 literature class. The teacher had decided to use this book to prepare us for our grade 10 literacy test and taught her students how to dissect a story and get to the bare bones of it.

For years, I have tried to remember the name of this book, but only just found it when I clicked on the author's page. I had no idea that a Canadian author wrote this book. As a matter of fact, I thought that somebody other than a Canadian wrote it.

Despite this book bein
Chad Darnell
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Matas a dramatic canadian writer, has once again brought the harsh realities of antisemitism in Nazi occupied Germany to the young readers mind after the publishing of her first book Lisasa] War. Matas tells the story of a young Jewish boy living in Germany. Daniel, our main character, shows determination and courage day to day living in Nazi Germany and through his experience in the Holocaust. The themes of courage, romance, determination, and atrocity to keep a balance between the hope o ...more
Daniel Hall
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for middle and high school students. The fictional story of a teenager during the Holocaust pulled me in so thoroughly that I forgot it wasn't true. Having read this on the heels of "Nectar in a Sieve" by Kamala Markandaya, it furthers my understanding that even in great poverty, great pain, somehow the human spirit strives for survival, love, hope, and connection.

I purchased a copy of this text for my niece along with "Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During t
Good, but very sad. 1 14 Feb 23, 2008 12:36PM
  • Marika
  • Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto
  • A Father's Promise
  • Good Night, Maman
  • Stones in Water (Stones in Water, #1)
  • The Upstairs Room
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Twenty and Ten
  • Silver Days (Journey to America, #2)
  • No Pretty Pictures: A Child of War

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99

“We are alive. We are human, with good and bad in us. That's all we know for sure. We can't create a new species or a new world. That's been done. Now we have to live within those boundaries . What are our choices? We can despair and curse, and change nothing. We can choose evil like our enemies have done and create a world based on hate. Or we can try to make things better.” 43 likes