Start by marking “Designing California Native Gardens: The Plant Community Approach to Artful, Ecological Gardens” as Want to Read:

Inspirational, practical, and easy to use, this book was created with the aim of conveying the awesome diversity and beauty of California's native plants and demonstrating how they can be brought into ecologically sound, attractive, workable, and artful gardens. Structured around major California plant communities—bluffs, redwoods, the Channel Islands, coastal scrub, grass ...more
Published June 4th 2007 by University of California Press (first published May 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Designing California Native Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing California Native Gardens

Start your review of Designing California Native Gardens: The Plant Community Approach to Artful, Ecological Gardens
Sarah Sammis
I'm still reading through the different garden types but that's going to a slow process.
Richard Thompson
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book made want to have a property in each of California's main climate regions so that I could landscape it with an appropriate regional garden. Most of all I want a giant estate in a hilly area, perhaps in Sonoma County or Paso Robles that I could design with an oak woodland in the style of Capability Brown. But fantasy aside, the book was also useful in focusing my thoughts on how I might redo my own modest yard in Pacific Palisades with California native plants. I think that I could be q ...more
Katy Dickinson
The book presents a structured way of analyzing and designing a variety of gardens for California. The plants recommended are not exclusively California native plants. Many pictures - of plants, houses, landscapes, and design diagrams. "Places to Visit" chapter sections provide locations where the plants in that chapter can be seen. If you want landscape designs and plant lists suitable for California's signature plant communities, this is the book for you.
Cadillacrazy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference-books
Great reference book, broken out by "plant communities," or regions of plants that grow together, such as grasslands, chaparral, coastal sage, etc... Includes some history, sample garden plan, plant lists, great descriptions of plants used, substitutions, and places to visit in that region.
Jenny
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This was not as helpful because each chapter focused on a particular community, such as "Desert Gardens," "Montane Meadows," etc. And there was no chapter for where we are! So no dice.
Susan Mazur Stommen
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeandgarden
Inspirational
Joe Wood
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-leisure
Looking forward to using this book to hopefully get some ideas for ditching the whole front lawn.
Diane
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book for thinking about switching my landscape to natives (mostly) - which is what I'm going to do!! A reference book.
Ingela Fredriksson
Kendra Walters
rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016

• Where on Earth: A Guide to Specialty Nurseries and Gardens in California
  • Farmacology: What Innovative Family Farming Can Teach Us About Health and Healing
  • Bay Area Gardening: 64 Practical Essays by Master Gardeners
  • Native Treasures: Gardening With the Plants of California
  • The New Book of Salvias: Sages for Every Garden
  • Hardy Californians: A Woman's Life with Native Plants
  • Golden Gate Gardening: Year-Round Food Gardening in the San Francisco Bay Area and Coastal California
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health